Polished my frame.

Thread: Polished my frame.

Polished my frame.

Well, I was on some leave time, weather wasn't good for sledding or riding and had some corrosion develop on my new 2010 YZ250F frame since it was in the back of the truck after salt was dumped on the road.
    I started to clean it and then went a little over board.
    Started with 400grit wet sanding, then to 600grit and finished off with 3 different buffing compounds. Could have done 800grit and had a flawless finish but it's just gonna get beat up again anyways!

Heres how corroded it was.

600 grit sanded on top, first bit of buffing on bottom.

And final results.

Only a few weeks left until we can go out and play!

Re: Polished my frame.

Looks nice. Its amazing the damage salt can do to Aluminum or steel . One year I was moving my bike to storage in december and they salted the heck out of the roads. I didnt think I got much on the bike. Come spring all the spokes were pitted and the chain was rusty.

Looks great man! I'm planning to do the same to my CRs once they are up and running, and once it's nice out (I'd rather sand aluminum outside than inside!). One of my favorite parts about ALL Honda CR bikes is that nice thick frame.... looks so damn good when it's all polished up nicely!

I'm planning to do 220, 400, 600, 800, 1000, and then 1500 grit. Just from what I've read on the internet. Then top it off with rubbing compound and polishing compound. Which compounds did you use?
    Ryan - 2008 Suzuki LTR450, 2001 Honda CR125, and 2000 Honda CR125

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian144 View Post
    Looks great man! I'm planning to do the same to my CRs once they are up and running, and once it's nice out (I'd rather sand aluminum outside than inside!). One of my favorite parts about ALL Honda CR bikes is that nice thick frame.... looks so damn good when it's all polished up nicely!

I'm planning to do 220, 400, 600, 800, 1000, and then 1500 grit. Just from what I've read on the internet. Then top it off with rubbing compound and polishing compound. Which compounds did you use?
    Those CR frames look sweet when they are polished.
    I did the job in the garage, just put some cardboard or a rag under the bike and go to town, it wasn't overly messy. I could have went to 800 grit and made it 100% perfect but, it is a race bike to begin with.

For polishing compound, I went to TSC and picked up a $20 kit. That has 3 different buffing wheels for your drill, with 3 different compounds. There were two kits there, one for hard metals, and one for soft stuff like brass and aluminum.

I did put some mothers on at the end of it, but it didn't make much of a difference after the fine final buffing.

Quote Originally Posted by rmemedic View Post
    Those CR frames look sweet when they are polished.
    I did the job in the garage, just put some cardboard or a rag under the bike and go to town, it wasn't overly messy. I could have went to 800 grit and made it 100% perfect but, it is a race bike to begin with.

For polishing compound, I went to TSC and picked up a $20 kit. That has 3 different buffing wheels for your drill, with 3 different compounds. There were two kits there, one for hard metals, and one for soft stuff like brass and aluminum.

I did put some mothers on at the end of it, but it didn't make much of a difference after the fine final buffing.
    Cool man thanks for the tip. One question - what's TSC? First thing that came to mind was Toronto Subaru Club... but that didn't make too much sense haha.

Tractor Supply Co.

It's a farm supply store, but I use it all the time for random odds and ends for projects... Has lots of farm machinery stuff, tools, electrical, plumbing diy stuff, truck stuff... And animal feed, camo clothing, ammunition... A bit of everything a redneck needs!

Cool, looks like the closest one to me is in Milton, I'll have to check it out soon!

You got a tractor?

LOL I don't have one myself, but I half grew up on a farm and we still have the old one lol.

Haha fair enough man. We have two JD tractors at our family farm... will have to see what kinda neat stuff they have at TSC for them! We got a 5105M last winter, and also have a smaller one, but don't remember/know the model name off the top of my head haha.

04 RR, 01 cr125, 00 GT full susp, 04 haro F4

if you can ever get your hands on AUTOSOL this stuff will save you sanding. Used it on many of my CR's and CRF frames!!!
    Mike-

The Oaks

I do have some Autosol, but it wouldn't have touched what I needed to clear up. I use it on the headers of the FZ6 and it works great!

I do have to clean up the rims on my truck this spring so I'll try Autosol on that, but I think I'll end up wet sanding again.