Need your opinion please.

Thread: Need your opinion please.

Need your opinion please.

Hi all
    I am considering a road (bike) trip this season, maybe out east, or down south into the US. I have up to 3 weeks vacation time, but looking to do a 2 week round trip. I am probly looking to ride around 5 to 10 hours a day, depending on mood & weather. I will be riding 2 up, with my girlfriend. I was thinking about riding to Tampa Bay FL, because my girlfriends father lives there, but a friend of mine said the southern half of the trip is boring. My girlfriend would like to ride to the Grand Canyon, not sure about the time it would take. So I am looking for feedback on where to go, from others experiences. I am hoping to talk a friend of mine (who is retired) into going with me, and or other, but I will see. So any and all info would be greatly appreciated.
    Craig
    “Rainy Day On A Bike, Is Better Then A Sunny Day At Work”
    “Live The Day, But Enjoy The Ride”

Re: Need your opinion please.

Re the Florida trip... take side roads and enjoy the scenery and twisties. A ride on a freeway is boring no matter where it is located.

As for the Grand Canyon, if you push it you can be there in 3-4 days, but that is about 800+ MILES a day. Definitely can be a nice ride if you use the full two weeks to get there and back including spending a few days in the area. You will never regret seeing the Grand Canyon... nothing like what you think it will be like from pictures. I have been there (by car) four times, and to the bottom of it three times. If you wish to go down into the Canyon for overnights be sure sure to book permits ahead of time. Not sure if you need them for day hikes. The trip down follows an 11 plus mile path that can be step (but always safe) at times. Seeing it from the south side also affords you some day rides into Arizona etc.
    2009 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Classic
    1978 Kawasaki KZ650 (project bike)

If you go to Florida make sure that you take Blue Ridge Pkwy and Deals Gap on the way down there and back. Right there you have like 900 km of excelent road.

My 1st question would be how far have you ridden with your girlfriend in the past? East/Florida or even the Grand Canyon are all doable in 2 weeks but if your passenger is only good for 2 - 3hours at a time any of them could be a challenge. I suppose Florida might be the best given she may wish to push onward to visit with her father.

Its been said here before: Perhaps you should ride away from home for a week and then turn around. Let the ride and exploration be the trip rather than the destination.