Another new member here 100shot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another new member here 100shot

Another new member here 100shot

Hellooo all.

New member looking forward to learning about bikes and riding. Here's my deal:

A few weeks ago me and my best friend since I was 14 decided we're getting our bike license finally. We're just shy of 40 years old now. We've always talked about it, but never made it a priority. 2011 is the year, we're gonna do it. I even broke it to the wife about three days ago, so it's official! LOL. I usually just show up with the toys.

I'm a long time car guy and always loved the bikes but never enough to go get one. I like both the sport bikes and the choppers.

The forum looks informative, I've read the noobie section while waiting for my id to be activated and it was really interesting.

I particularly like the "beginner bike vs. SS right away debate". All the threads I've searched have such different opinions on this.

For me, the only sport bike is a GSXR 750, since they first came out, so I was thinking of just getting one right off the bat, but it seems like an 08+ Ninja 250R or CBR125 or 250R isn't a bad idea first. What I don't understand is the pricing though, these beginner bikes are $3500 to $5900 brand new and a couple 08 models with low k's are not much cheaper. It almost seems like it's better to get brand new one so you know it hasn't been dropped etc. On the other side of the coin, I wouldn't mind a GSXR 600 circa 95-05 either and I most likely wouldn't buy another bike.

Would like to hear opinions on a newer beginner bike or a 10 year old 600. I also have been looking at trader.ca and it doesn't seem like that many bikes are on the market, I guess they all show up in Spring like sports cars.

Also, I'm really worried about picking the right colour, I'm partial to bright red for a bike right now or black/yellow gixxer because I would like it as bright as possible so people notice you on the road, not sure how much there is to that?

Anyway, cheers!

Re: Another new member here 100shot

Welcome to GTAM.I won't go over the pros and cons to bike choice etc.You'll find a lot of answers in herehttp://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...s-Start-here.. I will say to you tho,to buy the best gear you can affford.And remember that as a noob,you will drop your bike.It might only happen at the gas pump or in your driveway.But it will happen.Keep that in mind when looking at new bikes.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Welcome to GTAM!

Welcome aboard. Over here, used bikes hold their value pretty well. You have to get into the 10+ year range to really save a bit of cash. Still, if it's in good mechanical shape, you can keep it running and have a blast on it before you resell it for a little less than what you bought it for. My Fizzer was 16 years old when I bought it and it's 20 now. Can't wait to take it out for a real boot. You can also look into the GS500 and EX500. They are pretty good-natured bikes and many people start on'em. Insurance is cheap too. If you and your buddy are a bit hooliganish, check out the Suzuki DRZ400. It's good natured, fun to ride and will absorb the usual rookie dumps without complaining or costing you an arm and a leg in plastics. Yamaha WR250X is another great choice as long as you're in the 5'9+ height range.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
    URL] I will say to you tho,to buy the best gear you can affford.And remember that as a noob,you will drop your bike.It might only happen at the gas pump or in your driveway.But it will happen.Keep that in mind when looking at new bikes.
    Thanks and wise words.

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    If you and your buddy are a bit hooliganish,
    The only good thing about starting out at this age, is we won't have any hero complex and won't be taking stupid risks. Just getting the bike is already a slippery slope, I won't be daily driving it or in lots of traffic, there won't be any wheelies or 50KM over so I can loose my license. None of that nonsense, I'm just in it for cheaper fun, not to be a hero or show off.

I think in some respects the reason we never pulled the trigger before now was in the back of our head we knew how dangerous it can be and anyone we would have rode with at those ages would have been a bad influence. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 100shot View Post
    The only good thing about starting out at this age, is we won't have any hero complex and won't be taking stupid risks. Just getting the bike is already a slippery slope, I won't be daily driving it or in lots of traffic, there won't be any wheelies or 50KM over so I can loose my license. None of that nonsense, I'm just in it for cheaper fun, not to be a hero or show off.

I think in some respects the reason we never pulled the trigger before now was in the back of our head we knew how dangerous it can be and anyone we would have rode with at those ages would have been a bad influence. lol.
    One good thing about supermoto bikes is that you can ride them perfectly responsibly and still have a blast on'em.. The insurance is also cheaper for'em, you are sitting more upright (better view of the traffic and better visibility) and as I said, they will take your parking lot and red light dumps without complaining.
    I started riding at 27 for exactly the same reason. Had I done it in my early 20's, I'd have probably been 6' under ground by now
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    One good thing about supermoto bikes:
    I'm still pumped from watching that video!

Quote Originally Posted by soto View Post
    I'm still pumped from watching that video!
    Which one? There were 2 in that thread.. Speaking of which, here's a shorty but a goody

Welcome!!

Welcome to the forum. Expect lots of fun on two wheels.
    ......"Nowhere is one as free as on the road with no destination in mind"

2007 Vulcan 1500 FI - Still Thrillin'
    2003 Honda Shadow Ace (sold)
    1979 Yamaha 650 Special (sold)

Welcome aboard!
    Robert
    '02 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    '91 BMW K1 (sold)

The first point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Thanks guys!

Cool vid. Anymore with street bikes?

Hello brother!

All the best to you and your friend and Happy Riding =D
    If you're interested in honing your skills on a CBR125, I will gladly give mine up to you =) I love seeing people get into this exhilarating sport=D

Here's my Kijiji Add
    http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ263481413

Ride Safe

John
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    Current: '90 GSXR 750
    2nd: '08 Suzuki GS500F (SOLD)
    [Yoshimura TRS Slip-on; K&N Hi-Flo filter; Fenderectomy; Sprockets (F -1/15T-JT | R +2/46T-Driven) ; Renthal Gold Chain; AVON AV45/46 tyres (17K kms and counting) ]
    1st: '08 Honda CBR125R (SOLD)
    [Arrow Slip-on]

"Four wheels carries your body; two wheels carries your soul."
    "I don't ride to be seen, I ride to disappear."

this really safe and you wont drop it
    blah blah

welcome.
    David L.
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848
    1995 Honda CBR900RR (SOLD)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R600 (SOLD)
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Dayao12 View Post
    Hello brother!

All the best to you and your friend and Happy Riding =D
    If you're interested in honing your skills on a CBR125, I will gladly give mine up to you =) I love seeing people get into this exhilarating sport=D

Here's my Kijiji Add
    http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ263481413

Ride Safe

John
    Thanks, lemme know when the pics are up!

Quote Originally Posted by Babow View Post
    this really safe and you wont drop it

lol .

Welcome
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Welcome
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806