Cheapest place to get a vehicle appraised?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest place to get a vehicle appraised?

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Cheapest place to get a vehicle appraised?

Short version:
    Where can I get a vehicle professionally appraised for insurance purposes for the cheapest in/around the GTA? Guelph/KW/Cambridge area are also fine.

Long version:
    As many of you know (it's also in my sig, heh) I own an 87 Porsche 944. I am considering changing insurance companies on it. When I bought it the insurance company accepted the MTO appraisal form but the company I want to switch to will not accept that and say they need a "professional appraisal which is a very long document with pictures and such". Anyway, I'm looking for the cheapest place to have this done. If it costs me many hundreds of dollars to have done, it might not be worth it to switch. Suggestions?

Thanks!
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

Re: Cheapest place to get a vehicle appraised?

Quote Originally Posted by unL33T View Post
    Short version:
    Where can I get a vehicle professionally appraised for insurance purposes for the cheapest in/around the GTA? Guelph/KW/Cambridge area are also fine.

Long version:
    As many of you know (it's also in my sig, heh) I own an 87 Porsche 944. I am considering changing insurance companies on it. When I bought it the insurance company accepted the MTO appraisal form but the company I want to switch to will not accept that and say they need a "professional appraisal which is a very long document with pictures and such". Anyway, I'm looking for the cheapest place to have this done. If it costs me many hundreds of dollars to have done, it might not be worth it to switch. Suggestions?

Thanks!
    car dealership? bodyshop?

did the insurance company suggest anyone?
    x

Last year my girlfriend and I got her car ('03 Civic) appraised at the local Honda dealership for free.

Check on Kijiji and Craigslist for a local appraisal. I did this a couple years ago for tax on a new vehicle and it cost me ~$80. If you find a good one (willing to work with the vehicle owner) let me know as I need an appraisal for my insurance company as well.
    Current - '08 T-rex (soon to be T-rex-T)
    Current - '02 Suzuki Hayabusa-T

Ex' - '88 - Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '01 - Suzuki Gixxer 1000
    Ex' - '89 - Honda CB-1
    Ex' - '02 Yamaha R6
    Ex' - '91 Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '98 Suzuki GSXR 600

Quote Originally Posted by AllanR View Post
    Last year my girlfriend and I got her car ('03 Civic) appraised at the local Honda dealership for free.
    Really? I've never had to appraise one until I bought the Porsche cuz it's over 15 yrs old. I think once one of my companies sent someone out to check the condition of my vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Car2Slo View Post
    Check on Kijiji and Craigslist for a local appraisal. I did this a couple years ago for tax on a new vehicle and it cost me ~$80. If you find a good one (willing to work with the vehicle owner) let me know as I need an appraisal for my insurance company as well.
    Hmm I wonder if this is the same thing my company is looking for. This is not for tax purposes. I already have an appraisal on the MTO form but insurance won't accept that.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.

Bel air direct is my auto insurance company and they also required an inspection/appraisal to be done by one of the body shops that they deal with.
    It was free of charge, the guy basically took a few pictures of the car filled out a sheet with a basic description on it and that was it.
    If that's the same thing you're looking for let me know, I can give you the body shop's info...

I just bought a 1981 VW and before I can transfer the ownership into my name it needs to be appraised. Normally I wouldn't complain but the vehicle is in an undriveable state, basically a basket case. Does anyone know of an appraiser who can come to my house and look at it? Or possibly only needs pictures or video of the vehicle in question I can show the VIN number in the door jamb and everything. Any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle72 View Post
    I just bought a 1981 VW and before I can transfer the ownership into my name it needs to be appraised. Normally I wouldn't complain but the vehicle is in an undriveable state, basically a basket case. Does anyone know of an appraiser who can come to my house and look at it? Or possibly only needs pictures or video of the vehicle in question I can show the VIN number in the door jamb and everything. Any thoughts on this?
    The guy I used will come to your home or workplace for a small extra cost. The base cost of the appraisal was around $200 though. I can post the info if you're interested but sounds like you want something cheaper. He gives you a full colour report in the end and if you have him appraise the vehicle again he only charges half as much if I remember correctly.

Edit. It was here: http://www.vintagecarconnection.com/appraisals.htm
    Last edited by unL33T; 04-05-2012 at 07:35 AM.

Have you tried Hagerty? I have a 70 cuda insured with them. Super easy and cheap. Do not need an appraisal either.
    Pretty sure the Porsche will meet their criteria

Quote Originally Posted by wunderless View Post
    Have you tried Hagerty? I have a 70 cuda insured with them. Super easy and cheap. Do not need an appraisal either.
    Pretty sure the Porsche will meet their criteria
    This thread is old so I got insurance for it a long time ago.

Harerty only does collectors' vehicles, don't they? That doesn't meet my needs. The restrictions on classic car insurance are too strict. If I can't use the car for actual normal stuff, there is no point in owning it. This car is on the road more than my Saab (mostly because it's more reliable) and I use it to get to work daily.

This thread is old so I got insurance for it a long time ago.

Harerty only does collectors' vehicles, don't they? That doesn't meet my needs. The restrictions on classic car insurance are too strict. If I can't use the car for actual normal stuff, there is no point in owning it. This car is on the road more than my Saab (mostly because it's more reliable) and I use it to get to work daily.
    Whoa! Totally did not see that it was an old post. Sorry dude.
    Actually Hagerty isn't stupid strict but it sounds like your car is almost a daily driver, not sure how they would feel about that. I can drive the cuda to work when I want. The lady said, "we want you to be able to drive and enjoy your car" so they understand that part of it at least.
    But it might be worth a shot to call them and see?

Quote Originally Posted by wunderless View Post
    Whoa! Totally did not see that it was an old post. Sorry dude.
    Actually Hagerty isn't stupid strict but it sounds like your car is almost a daily driver, not sure how they would feel about that. I can drive the cuda to work when I want. The lady said, "we want you to be able to drive and enjoy your car" so they understand that part of it at least.
    But it might be worth a shot to call them and see?
    Sure, I'll give em a call and ask then. Most of the other companies I've talked to basically say I can drive it around, drive it to my house, drive it to shows but I can't really take it to any businesses, work, etc. Heck, I take the thing for camping trips sometimes, lol.

I just need a quick and dirty appraisal to register the thing... It has no brakes, no starter, no battery... it ain't worth a damn in it's current state. But I need to transfer it into my name.

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle72 View Post
    I just need a quick and dirty appraisal to register the thing... It has no brakes, no starter, no battery... it ain't worth a damn in it's current state. But I need to transfer it into my name.
    I think a mechanic can whip that up. The one I had for the MTO paperwork was from a Porsche mechanic in St. Catharines somewhere that the PO gave me from when he bought the car (he only had it for like 4 months before he decided he had too many projects on the go and put it up for sale). I believe this is usually referred to as an "MTO appraisal" which is different from the full appraisal some insurance companies require.

Kijiji...i was looking into this and talked to afew of them when it was time to transfer the Civic in my name...i got a really good deal on the price of the car due to its shape and didnt feel like paying extra $$$ when i had to invest xx dollars into it. That would be like paying the same HST twice! (once on the car and once on the parts needed)

It was usually around $50 if you can get the car to him, and depending on where you lived another 20 or so for him to come and see it.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm

Called Hagerty for a quote but they require any vehicle insured by them to be stored in a garage, which I do not have.

They did confirm that they don't mind occasional use for "normal" things (work, shopping, etc) as long as the average usage is no higher than 4000-5000 km/yr.

Call Bruce Farrow at roadshowauto. He's the guy in the GTA who does Porsches. Good guy.

After that call Lant insurance and get the Silver Wheels insurance if you don't drive the car too often (show and display). They're great to deal with.
    You'll probably end up paying ~$400/yr.

After that go to Hershey this month for the meet.

Cheers.

I wish I could help more. A few years ago I had to get a truck appraised, but the license bureau gave me a business card of a company in Brampton. I forget how much it was, or what the company was called. They were actually in the same plaza as the DriveTest centre. The guy had to come to my house though, but I think it was only about 80$ or so.
    2004 Suzuki DRZ400
    1986 Honda Shadow 750 - Sold

Peterborough, or just where ever the road takes me

I got my car appraised for free at a Toyota dealership, but it was for student loans, not sure if they'd help you out for free. It probably wouldn't cost much anyways.
    Not wearing gear while riding is like unprotected sex. Sooner or later you're going to get a rash!

Called Hagerty for a quote but they require any vehicle insured by them to be stored in a garage, which I do not have.

They did confirm that they don't mind occasional use for "normal" things (work, shopping, etc) as long as the average usage is no higher than 4000-5000 km/yr.
    Bah! I knew they wanted a garage, but didn't even think of it. Sorry about that. Good luck man!