Tire balancer - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire balancer

Re: Tire balancer

bearing on the v blocks are from a skateboard

depends on the amount of weight.

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    so your saying if I pull your rear wheel weights off........and go for a ride you would notice it?
    Powered by Platinum Powersports www.platinum-powersports.com

I balance both front and rear... takes minutes anyway. Static wheel balancers are cheap and so are the weights.
    I use something similar to a NoMar tire changer to switch up the rubber but it's a cheaper make/model... All the tools combined cost me about $300, changed a lot of tires last year and the stuff has more than paid for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by toastman View Post
    depends on the amount of weight.
    how was the max amount of weight you've put on a rear?

5.5 ounces
    most tires take 3/4 of an ounce or less
    I can't feel 1/2 and ounce or less, but I can feel 3/4 of an ounce
    Last edited by toastman; 02-27-2011 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    eeeeek
    I was thinking of using Dyna Beads ( for street, not track), what problems have you had with them?
    -----------------------------------------
    2006 FZ6
    2005 DL1000
    2005 Vulcan 500 - Sold

they should work very well for a tire that is turning a constant speed, and I believe they have their place on fat tire choppers with expensive rims that a wheel weight would look poor on.
    With a tire changing velocity the beads could roll around till the tire stabilizes velocity, when the beads were moving the tire would be out of balance.

Look at Dunlops site, Bridgestones site and others
    They state that tire warranty is void for balancing media used inside the tire.

Banned

they should work very well for a tire that is turning a constant speed, and I believe they have their place on fat tire choppers with expensive rims that a wheel weight would look poor on.
    With a tire changing velocity the beads could roll around till the tire stabilizes velocity, when the beads were moving the tire would be out of balance.

The individual beads are light enough that little rotational speed (and centrifugal force resulting from that speed) is needed to effectively glue them in fixed place against the inside of the tire carcass. Even sudden changes in speed or direction should have no effect on the beads once you're past that minimal speed and centrifugal force.

The only time the beads should ever be in motion is just as you are starting to move forward, and again just as you are almost stopped. On my bike I'm using plastic AirSoft pellets, slightly larger and heavier than Dynabeads. I can actually hear them when I'm coming to a hard stop (think of the sound of beads in a hula hoop), but only in the last 2 or 3 meters of travel and at speeds where tire balance or lack thereof has no practical effect.

can't you just pop the bead on the tire...check where it needs weight....break the bead and stick the weight in the area.....

So I finally end up creating my own tire changing system, I was too fed up of ppl scratching my rims.

Here is how I break my bead:

[img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]
    Last edited by RockerGuy; 10-07-2011 at 08:33 PM.
    Resident Loudmouth

Do the pellets work if I have tubes?

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Do the pellets work if I have tubes?
    Dyna beads??
    I heard bad reviews about them. I prefer wheel weights
    Resident Loudmouth

dyna beads break down into powder, then you end up with clump which makes the balance 10 times worst.

The beads don't break down, they wear rubber off the inside of the tires, that's why they void tire warranty. I tried them, had a different kind of horrible vibration every time I got up to speed. Took them out, didn't put any weights on the wheel and everything was fine. Had to vacuum out all the rubber dust though, along with the beads.

I disagree. There is too much rEsistance in th front wheel bearings to balance them accurately.The wheel needs to turn freely on low resistance bearings to balance them properly as for balancing the rear wheel, thats debatable but I always do it.I have the Nomar balancer and it works grea and is only about $100.
    waste of time to do the rear, the front can be done on the bike.....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skapan View Post
    The beads don't break down, they wear rubber off the inside of the tires, that's why they void tire warranty. I tried them, had a different kind of horrible vibration every time I got up to speed. Took them out, didn't put any weights on the wheel and everything was fine. Had to vacuum out all the rubber dust though, along with the beads.
    I don't use dynabeads. I use plastic airsoft pellets. They're larger than dynabeads so slip them in through the tire sidewall before you air up and seat the tire on the bead. http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/SoftAir/SoftAirgunAccessories/PRD~0755203P/Crosman%AE+Airsoft+BBs%2C+2000-ct.jsp?locale=en

You don't have to be too fussy on how much you put in, but putting in more than needed is better. If you don't put in enough, your tire won't balance as well. If you put in more than is needed, the pellets just redistribute themselves accordingly to maintain balance.

After two tire changes so far, I have seen no evidence of them disintegrating or breaking apart and leaving sharp edges that could hurt the inside of the tire. I have seen no evidence of damage or wear to the inside of the tire carcass. My tire balance is good, my tires show no evidence of cupping or unusual wear, and tire life has improved noticeably. I expect no different with my third set of tires now using them.
    Last edited by turbodish; 10-10-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    dyna beads break down into powder, then you end up with clump which makes the balance 10 times worst.
    Pics or it didn't happen

Quote Originally Posted by skapan View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorsythe
    i hate to say this but i never said i was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    So I finally end up creating my own tire changing system, I was too fed up of ppl scratching my rims.

Here is how I break my bead:

[img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]
    looks fancy....is that a bearing!??!? on your pivot?

looks fancy....is that a bearing!??!? on your pivot?
    lol, no.
    Its just a very large washer so nut doesn't rip thru the wood. I need to fine tune it tho.
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    lol, no.
    Its just a very large washer so nut doesn't rip thru the wood. I need to fine tune it tho.
    Worried about your rims being scratched, yet they are sat on top of some dingy old pieces of 2x4 while you are breaking the bead.