Working out! Fitness! Nutrition! - Page 21

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Working out! Fitness! Nutrition!

Re: Working out! Fitness! Nutrition!

Quote Originally Posted by rutakin View Post
    Seen that, very cool. He looked awesome and still looks good for 100. I doubt I'll live to 100 though. Between bikes, occasionally smoking, drinking, and dating psychotic women, I'm almost guaranteed to die much much earlier. lol
    Current: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
    Past: 2005 Ducati S2R 800 Dark

So I use to do a 4-5 day a week gym schedule of chest > legs > shoulders/tris > back/bis. This worked pretty well for me to the point where I'm not looking to gain any more muscle mass just want to maintain my strength and condition / tone.

I recently joined a muay thai gym twice a week, and now i'm trying to get into a 2 - 3 day gym routine in between muay thai training mainly to maintain my strength and tone.

Was thinking of doing something like..

Day 1:

Barebell squats 3 sets of 10
    Chest, 10 reps of flat bench, 10 reps of incline 10 reps of decline..
    Pull Ups 3 sets of 10
    Shoulder press 3 set of 10, super set with seated dumbell curls

Day 2: off day

Day 3:

Pushups + pullups 3 sets of 10 each
    Deadlifts 3 sets of 10
    Legs.. lunges or jump squats.
    former: 2006 sv650s (sold)
    current: 2009 r6

"You need to stop suckin back the ballserade, to much salt can be toxic."

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    It's only gay if you make eye contact.
    I thought it was if if you made ANY contact...

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

Any thoughts on platinum activ-x? It's vitamins a-z + omega & fish oils. I'd never do creatine or any supplements, but I'm considering bending that rule 'cause it's a bit of a grey area.

And someone answer my high intensity vs low intensity question a couple of pages back! Please & thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knowledge View Post
    Any thoughts on platinum activ-x? It's vitamins a-z + omega & fish oils. I'd never do creatine or any supplements, but I'm considering bending that rule 'cause it's a bit of a grey area.

And someone answer my high intensity vs low intensity question a couple of pages back! Please & thanks
    Never heard of it. Also what's wrong with creatine?

As for the cardio...If you are on a heavy lifting program and trying to build/maintain your muscle mass high intensity cardio can be counter productive to that goal (remember cals in/out) and then remember how that plays a role in building/maintaining muscle mass. Low intensity allows you to keep an elevated heart rate (fat burn) without using too much energy (cals). This will help preserve your muscle not eat away at it.

If your just trying to burn as many cals as possible and or training for some type of endurance activity then go a head an kill yourself with the cardio.
    If you really feel the need to do high intensity just limit it to 1-2 times a week on your off days.

do high intensity cardio first thing in the morning or right after your workout to burn the most fat. for fat loss stick to HIIT (high intensity interval training)

Why wouldn't you take supplements? Taking a whole array of vitamin's such as you're suggesting might be more than your body requires and if that's the case they'll just tax your kidneys to get rid of them. Same thing can be said for many supplements but what needs to be understood is that each person's intake needs will be different and may benefit from proper supplementing in the correct area. IMO any moderately active person should be supplementing glutamine and vit C daily.
    2006 GSXR 1000
    2007 GSXR 600 (track - sold)

PM me if you have a good track bike for sale

Quote Originally Posted by optionfa View Post
    So I use to do a 4-5 day a week gym schedule of chest > legs > shoulders/tris > back/bis. This worked pretty well for me to the point where I'm not looking to gain any more muscle mass just want to maintain my strength and condition / tone.

I recently joined a muay thai gym twice a week, and now i'm trying to get into a 2 - 3 day gym routine in between muay thai training mainly to maintain my strength and tone.

Day 1:

Pull Ups 3 sets of 10

Day 3:

Deadlifts 3 sets of 10
    Im in a similar situation. I train Muay Thai 2-3 times per week and Weights 3 times per week. It depends how your Muay Thai workouts are. If its instructor led, your likely doing some conditions - pushups, situps, body weight squats, duck walks, jump squats etc... which can interfere with your rest intervals if you go hard with weight training at the same time.

For me, I still go hard and heavy with weights but I scale back on volume. Meaning, not as many exercises and probably 1 set less per exercise. Training your back hard won't really interfere with Muay Thai but working your chest/shoulders and legs/core will. For example I will train chest/shoulders/tri's the day after muay thai but never the day before while I can train my back the day prior to MT. Scheduling your week so you have appropriate time to rest is key... Otherwise you might end up feeling a bit burned out down the road especially if you bang up your joints training MT.

Quote Originally Posted by optionfa View Post

Day 1:

Pull Ups 3 sets of 10

Day 3:

Deadlifts 3 sets of 10
    I would honestly stay the hell away from these. Not good for your joints at all. Slow and controlled is always the best for just about any exercise, not slamming the ground with additional weight on your back. Also, two workouts a week and you're working out the same muscle groups both days (chest, legs)....nah, I'd split it up a bit more.
    Current: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
    Past: 2005 Ducati S2R 800 Dark

Speaking of joints ^, does anyone have any experience with hip bursitis from exercise? I’m quite certain that this is what I have based on what I’ve read and my symptoms. The hip is really sore in the morning but after about 10 minutes of walking it’s feeling ok – just a smidgen of pain. Hurts again if I’ve been driving my desk and then walk – but better after a while.

I run 3 miles a day at a 7 mph pace and row for 2 km for 2000m at a 9 minute pace. I’m bummed that the common advice is resting it – up to 6 weeks so running and rowing is out. Lifting is all that is left L

I have new runners, am at the ideal weight and run on a cushioned treadmill. Any tips – experience with this and how to prevent? I can’t wait 6 weeks – my cardio program is very important to me. Is it ok to run with this – and prolong the healing or will it never heal? Advice?
    Track is my Crack - but I'm not fast - yet.
    '08 Ninja ZX-6R

Originally Posted by Bandit Bill
    Oh Sweet Jesus ... my eyes, someone stab me in the eyes to take that image away!!!!

Creatine is proven and its one of the only supplements on the market where you can actually tell that it has an impact on your body. That can't really be said for most of the products out there. With Creatine supplmentation, you will likely have obvious strength and muscular endurance gains (heavier weights, more reps).. Whether or not you want that or are training for that is up to you. There are also several studies that show a positive effect daily creatine supplementation has on your brain (boosting memory) and with the prevention of degenerative diseases like dimentia and alzheimers. So all and all its one of the few supplements that has real value. Im not saying you should take it but I wouldn't knock it.

As for platinum activ-x, its trying to be an "All-in-One" convenience pill and the problem there is that the dosages of everything they include in the product end up being very small and sometimes to the point where its not enough to really matter. Would it be bad for you to take this pill? No, but its probably not worth the price. Like, the blend of "Omega oils" is really so little to matter and 25mg of green tea extract is pointless. You might as well just have a couple cups of actual tea per day. Skip this product if you have any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by funrider View Post
    Lifting is all that is left L
    Well, thats a good thing because thats the best thing for your body anyways.. Lifting heavy things > prolonged running/jogging.

Jump squats? NO.

Supplements? Good quality protein powder and creatine. Anything else is B.S. although vitamin C, D and glutamine aren't bad things.
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (Street, Many mods)
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (AM SuperBike)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (CDN SuperBike)
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F
    http://www.kingstonriders.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
    Jump squats? NO.

Supplements? Good quality protein powder and creatine. Anything else is B.S. although vitamin C, D and glutamine aren't bad things.
    I'd add a good fat supp to that list (fish oil, flax seed oil, Omega 369) and dump the glutamine. You need a much larger dose than any glut supp gives for it to be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy929 View Post
    I'd add a good fat supp to that list (fish oil, flax seed oil, Omega 369) and dump the glutamine. You need a much larger dose than any glut supp gives for it to be effective.
    I won't fault that assessment. I don't take glutamine, for one thing it's just as picky as creatine is in terms of how you take it, when you take it, how it was stored, and how it was processed. Most of it is as useful as eating a teaspoon of sand.
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (Street, Many mods)
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (AM SuperBike)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (CDN SuperBike)
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F
    http://www.kingstonriders.org/

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy929 View Post
    Never heard of it. Also what's wrong with creatine?

As for the cardio...If you are on a heavy lifting program and trying to build/maintain your muscle mass high intensity cardio can be counter productive to that goal (remember cals in/out) and then remember how that plays a role in building/maintaining muscle mass. Low intensity allows you to keep an elevated heart rate (fat burn) without using too much energy (cals). This will help preserve your muscle not eat away at it.
    Awesome. Thanks...I'm gonna try & keep a lower heart rate and maybe do cardio for 40-45 minutes.

Also, thanks for that tip a while back on cutting carbs. I found a reasonable compromise where I don't end up bingeing or craving sweets/junk food all day. And I'm getting pretty lean. It's crazy 'cause all the cardio I was doing made such minimal results if I wasn't cutting some carbs from my diet. Now I'm missing all 3 cardio days and still getting leaner lol.

Quote Originally Posted by toshison View Post
    Creatine is proven and its one of the only supplements on the market where you can actually tell that it has an impact on your body. That can't really be said for most of the products out there. With Creatine supplmentation, you will likely have obvious strength and muscular endurance gains (heavier weights, more reps).. Whether or not you want that or are training for that is up to you. There are also several studies that show a positive effect daily creatine supplementation has on your brain (boosting memory) and with the prevention of degenerative diseases like dimentia and alzheimers. So all and all its one of the few supplements that has real value. Im not saying you should take it but I wouldn't knock it.

As for platinum activ-x, its trying to be an "All-in-One" convenience pill and the problem there is that the dosages of everything they include in the product end up being very small and sometimes to the point where its not enough to really matter. Would it be bad for you to take this pill? No, but its probably not worth the price. Like, the blend of "Omega oils" is really so little to matter and 25mg of green tea extract is pointless. You might as well just have a couple cups of actual tea per day. Skip this product if you have any sense.
    Sorry, I should've been more clear that I wasn't knocking it...I just don't feel like I'm at a point in fitness where I need to be taking it. Same goes for taking protein (I try to get it from the food that I eat). But if I were to start taking it, it'd be for the cognitive gains. I'm trying to go natural with a lot of things.

On a slightly related note...I start boxercising at the cabbage town gym this week! I hear it's nuts

This thread is fantastic motivation!

Kudos to everyone working hard on their health and fitness.

Sort of skimmed through here (sorry), and I was wondering if anyone on here has any advice for someone starting up running?

I know it is just running but apparently there are right and wrong ways to doing it.

I've done some online research but would like to hear from people on here, as everyone seems helpful.

Thanks
    " Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul "

Quote Originally Posted by chimera View Post

Sort of skimmed through here (sorry), and I was wondering if anyone on here has any advice for someone starting up running?

I know it is just running but apparently there are right and wrong ways to doing it.

I've done some online research but would like to hear from people on here, as everyone seems helpful.

Thanks
    Start with a good pair of running shoes. The Running Room have people that know their ****.
    New to me for 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by chimera View Post

Thanks

Theres some great info in this thread when it comes to running that I picked up :

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...le-Course-Race

I started jogging seriously last December and have been running strong since. The BEST advice I got, was to buy proper shoes. Go to a place like The Running Room, and have them examine how you walk, and get fitted with proper shoes! Don't buy cheap ones. Good runners make a world of difference!

Awesome. Thanks...I'm gonna try & keep a lower heart rate and maybe do cardio for 40-45 minutes.

Also, thanks for that tip a while back on cutting carbs. I found a reasonable compromise where I don't end up bingeing or craving sweets/junk food all day. And I'm getting pretty lean. It's crazy 'cause all the cardio I was doing made such minimal results if I wasn't cutting some carbs from my diet. Now I'm missing all 3 cardio days and still getting leaner lol.

Sorry, I should've been more clear that I wasn't knocking it...I just don't feel like I'm at a point in fitness where I need to be taking it. Same goes for taking protein (I try to get it from the food that I eat). But if I were to start taking it, it'd be for the cognitive gains. I'm trying to go natural with a lot of things.

On a slightly related note...I start boxercising at the cabbage town gym this week! I hear it's nuts
    What was this tip on carbs?
    I have never thought completely cutting them from my diet was a good idea for me, but maybe it will be something that can help me.

Work continues to get in the way... Sort of funny since of what they preach to us and what we need to do, but I'm constantly gone where I can't get to work out or even choose what I eat, so when I get back I'm so de-motivated to put all that work back in just to get to where I was before I left.
    Motocross season has started, so I have almost put on all of my usual "summer muscle", which is a decent amount and I don't really need or want more as agility is important... I just have a very, very hard time cutting down despite being really active.
    Cardio is good on me, I still out do the majority at work, pushups I'm over the average and my hand grip is one of the best out of my group of buddies so I'm just the fat in shape guy. There's a 6 pack in here, I just can't get it to show!