Think your jeans will save you? Think again - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Think your jeans will save you? Think again

Re: Think your jeans will save you? Think again

Quote Originally Posted by freedomfighter View Post
    hahahahahah stock tires. what else should we expect.

idiot.
    Oh....I didn't realize that was his problem. Stock tires are bad huh?
    What tires should he have been using?

Just about any tire available in sizes that would fit on that bike, are incredible and fantastic. Today's sport tires are as good a race tires were 10 yrs ago, and heat up almost instantly. And sport touring tires today are where hypersport tires were just a few yrs ago in terms of grip, and last 3-5x as long as hypersport tires while sacrificing maybe 15% of the grip.
    Last edited by omnivore; 02-09-2011 at 11:45 AM.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    Oh....I didn't realize that was his problem. Stock tires are bad huh?
    What tires should he have been using?

Just about any tire available in sizes that would fit on that bike, are incredible and fantastic. Today's sport tires are as good a race tires were 10 yrs ago, and heat up almost instantly. And sport touring tires today are where hypersport tires were just a few yrs ago in terms of grip, and last 3-5x as long as hypersport tires while sacrificing maybe 15% of the grip.
    Your wasting your time with the tire preaching....Either buy race take offs, or aggree to disagree on the street/track tire subject...There is no winning the "I prefer this tire" argument

Quote Originally Posted by 250R-ICE View Post
    I purchased KNOX knee armour and they fit good under my Draggin Jeans.
    They work for Forcefield knee armour as well.
    -----------------------------------------
    2006 FZ6
    2005 DL1000
    2005 Vulcan 500 - Sold

I didn't notice anything on the road surface... so I don't think tires or protective gear are the issue... the first line of defence is skill. He just messed up. Look at his body position coming into the corner. Hopefully 'lesson learned' with (relatively) minor consequences...
    Just the same, this will be my first year having some sort of protective street pants. I'm also curious about these knee armour things...

Quote Originally Posted by sizemik_p View Post
    I didn't notice anything on the road surface... so I don't think tires or protective gear are the issue... the first line of defence is skill. He just messed up. Look at his body position coming into the corner. Hopefully 'lesson learned' with (relatively) minor consequences...
    Just the same, this will be my first year having some sort of protective street pants. I'm also curious about these knee armour things...
    That section of road is famous for people crashing, why do you think there was a camera just sitting there waiting for it? There are so many crashes there on the daily, people set up cameras just to get these crashes...

So before you post you should do a Youtube search for "mulholland crash", and have a look at just how may people "mess up" on that turn...The turn it both confusing and dirty....Not the only reason you crash there but helps alot of people do it
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 02-09-2011 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Your wasting your time with the tire preaching....Either buy race take offs, or aggree to disagree on the street/track tire subject...There is no winning the "I prefer this tire" argument
    I wasn't talking about this tire or that tire. I was talking about the fact that the poster thinks the "stock tires" are somehow responsible for the crash. Which is obviously an absolute joke. Bikes like that come with tires that are plenty capable of knee dragging antics rght from the factory.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Burlington during the week / Pickering most weekends

With full leathers, no ambulance needed and he walks away with just a bruised ego.
    Forget world peace. Visualize using your turn signal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieboy View Post
    I was on a ride a year or two ago where someone went down in the rain at around that speed wearing textile pants and it still ripped right thorough that and his jeans. It depends on how you fall and how lucky/unlucky you are.
    JR textile sucks. At 50 km/h I burned through the pants and my knee. If you really care about your skin, go with leather (at least around the joints).

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    I wasn't talking about this tire or that tire. I was talking about the fact that the poster thinks the "stock tires" are somehow responsible for the crash. Which is obviously an absolute joke. Bikes like that come with tires that are plenty capable of knee dragging antics rght from the factory.
    I know that poster loves his track take offs, he also like to argue about them and call people out on their skills when you doubt his opinion of track tires on the street. If I remember correctly his line goes something like this "Why dont you meet me at Timmies, we flip a cop the bird and see who gets away" ..So I was just letting you know if you didnt already, that your wasting your breath...I prefer street tires, and hes had that arguement with me before...There is no winning, he thinks everyone should buy take offs...Street tires are for pussies

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    That section of road is famous for people crashing, why do you think there was a camera just sitting there waiting for it? There are so many crashes there on the daily, people set up cameras just to get these crashes...

So before you post you should do a Youtube search for "mulholland crash", and have a look at just how may people "mess up" on that turn...The turn it both confusing and dirty....Not the only reason you crash there but helps alot of people do it
    Easy Johhny, I don't have time to do reasearch on these things 'before I post'... He made a mistake. That many others have made the same mistake does not cancel out his mistake. What's wrong with saying that?

Maybe the guys jeans where low quality I crashed going 60km, I separated my shoulder but my jeans where fine, small tear but none the less they where wearable.

Quote Originally Posted by sizemik_p View Post
    Easy Johhny, I don't have time to do reasearch on these things 'before I post'... He made a mistake. That many others have made the same mistake does not cancel out his mistake. What's wrong with saying that?
    Easy? I posted info take it or leave it....Im very easy going, so maybe you need to lighten up if your taking what i posted the wrong way...

"I didn't notice anything on the road surface... so I don't think tires or protective gear are the issue... the first line of defence is skill"

Your post makes it seem like your calling him on his skills, not a mistake...I posted the name of the section of road to show you that hundreds of people crash there. Some are very skilled some arent, and still mess up because the turn is sandy and misleading.

Cheers Johnny... I wasn't upset or anything... just clearing up what I had said. I know where you're coming from... didn't mean to sound snotty!
    I still think skill and mistakes are related, even if I'm not immune to them, but I agree that chance comes into play too.

Johnny, I dont think it was the stock tires, maybe the rider crashed because he was on a Buell :P

My guess he was scared of heights and seen the edge of the road and said: OH $#%$, brake-slide-guardrail-cry like a baby - police - ambulance - firetruck .
    FOR SALE:
    2003 Kawasaki Z1000 $5000
    plus TONS of bike parts..... www.masalma.com

Floats like a butterfly, & stings like a Z!

Jeans last 5 feet at 50mph decent leather 75 feet at 50mph