Always Check your mirrors before and after stopping! - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Always Check your mirrors before and after stopping!

Re: Always Check your mirrors before and after stopping!

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki911 View Post
    You think becuase his head moved slightly to the left and right that he was checking his mirrors??? If he had seen her coming he would have said something like Holy **** or **** or omg. Not one peep out of him.
    Oh and if he was aware of his suroundings as we all should be when driving or riding which means using your mirrors and knowing what is around you at all times this would have not happened.
    That’s exactly it! Now you understand what I mean. By moving his head slightly, I do think he was checking his mirrors - that’s all it takes! He didn't see her coming even though he bothered to check both mirrors (as written in my first response) most likely due to the fact that the approaching vehicle was in the left lane, and his focus may have been on the vehicle directly behind him (which would have been far more likely to rear-end him).

In this situation, his awareness of his surroundings did not cause the vehicle to strike his motorcycle. For you to say that "if he was aware of his suroundings...using your mirrors and knowing what is around you at all times this would have not happened" is simply false. There are things on the road that are beyond our control, at times that includes how other motorists behave on the road, just as what happened to this rider. As motorcyclists, we try our best to anticipate and act upon situations that may result in an accident in order to avoid them entirely.
    To relate it back to your first post - "if he was paying attention and checking his mirrors" - which he was - it simply wasn't enough for him to avoid this accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
    that's because insurance companies take into consideration that womenz are supposed to be somwhere else like um... the kitchen?

...Then one day you realise your 'knight in shining armour' is just a retard in tinfoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx13 View Post
    busted...lol it's not even women though hardly anyone can drive proper, I went to Switzerland last year and if people pulled half the **** they did here there they'd be buried 6ft deep. It's actually funny because we have essentially no drivers education and the courses out there aren't mandatory, and still the courses isn't exactly structured to improve your driving, its just a quicker way to get you through the licensing system. tl;dr drivers education is a joke here

You think becuase his head moved slightly to the left and right that he was checking his mirrors??? If he had seen her coming he would have said something like Holy **** or **** or omg. Not one peep out of him.
    Oh and if he was aware of his suroundings as we all should be when driving or riding which means using your mirrors and knowing what is around you at all times this would have not happened.

I must tell you that in every automotive screw up I've ever been a part of, I haven't said "holy ****" or "****" until after I was getting off the ground. One time I slipped 'er out on the gravel and held the clutch in sliding along the ground and kept the bike running and didn't say **** until I went to shift it back into gear and realized there was no shifter there any more... the point I am trying to make is that if you waste your time and thoughts on verbally confirming that you are going to get into an accident, you could be doing something more productive like reacting physically.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOnion View Post
    I must tell you that in every automotive screw up I've ever been a part of, I haven't said "holy ****" or "****" until after I was getting off the ground. One time I slipped 'er out on the gravel and held the clutch in sliding along the ground and kept the bike running and didn't say **** until I went to shift it back into gear and realized there was no shifter there any more... the point I am trying to make is that if you waste your time and thoughts on verbally confirming that you are going to get into an accident, you could be doing something more productive like reacting physically.
    I get that and he didn't do either.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

Quote Originally Posted by UltrA_Killa View Post
    That’s exactly it! Now you understand what I mean. By moving his head slightly, I do think he was checking his mirrors - that’s all it takes! He didn't see her coming even though he bothered to check both mirrors (as written in my first response) most likely due to the fact that the approaching vehicle was in the left lane, and his focus may have been on the vehicle directly behind him (which would have been far more likely to rear-end him).

In this situation, his awareness of his surroundings did not cause the vehicle to strike his motorcycle. For you to say that "if he was aware of his suroundings...using your mirrors and knowing what is around you at all times this would have not happened" is simply false. There are things on the road that are beyond our control, at times that includes how other motorists behave on the road, just as what happened to this rider. As motorcyclists, we try our best to anticipate and act upon situations that may result in an accident in order to avoid them entirely.
    To relate it back to your first post - "if he was paying attention and checking his mirrors" - which he was - it simply wasn't enough for him to avoid this accident.
    What ever that is your opinion. I' ve been in a lot of holy **** moments and it was cause of my constant mirror checking and having an out at all times that I have not been hit. Something my driving instructor tought me way back when. I also drive for a living so I am on the road more than most people. I have also been hit while standing on a side walk which caused me pain and still does to this day even though 6 years have passed and I really do not want to feel that pain again and that is why I drive the way I do. I don't want to cause anyone the pain that I have gone through either. IMO after watcing the above vid about 10 times I still do think it could be prevented, clearly I am not the only one as it was posted by someone else not me.

I don't come on here to argue, I just posted my opinion and you are entitled to yours.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Thank-you =)

I'm looking at this video over and over and can't figure out why the van in front of the motorcyclist stopped dead center of a 3-lane in the middle of the street with just 1 brake light working.

The motorcyclist clearly wasn't following closely until the van hit the brakes at which point the motorcyclist slowed down and was checking his mirrors for a lane change. First reaction would be to check the left as passing on the right is frown upon. Car in left can't go. Check right bam!

If there's anything avoidable it's riding in the center lane.

wow look between :18 - :22 second of the video and watch her left hand from her right ear as she exits her car. And than both her right and left hand goes towards her left hip. I think this dude has a strong case.

Banned

had traff
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho44 View Post
    I'm looking at this video over and over and can't figure out why the van in front of the motorcyclist stopped dead center of a 3-lane in the middle of the street with just 1 brake light working.
    The van probably stopped because a long line of traffic in front of it had also stopped and was blocking its way. Stop the video at around the 9 second mark when the rider's helmet clears the top of the van's roof and you can see the vehicles in front of the van.

Riding in the center lane didn't have much to do with this one. Same could have happened in either of the curb or left lanes just as easily had traffic stopped in those lanes instead, the only difference being the potential escape routes would now be fewer.
    Last edited by turbodish; 02-09-2011 at 08:12 AM.

Even still, riding in the centre lane, especially when there is no stopped traffic in the outside lanes is a basic level "don't do this."
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

A good rider will modify their habits to suit conditions. And without being there I find it hard to judge why he was in the centre lane. Could have been a dumb choice but who knows maybe it was safer there although obviously not that day.

I agree its normally considered a 'no no' but I've had roads I chose to ride in the middle and I honestly believe in those circumstances that was the safest choice at that time.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    A good rider will modify their habits to suit conditions. And without being there I find it hard to judge why he was in the centre lane. Could have been a dumb choice but who knows maybe it was safer there although obviously not that day.

I agree its normally considered a 'no no' but I've had roads I chose to ride in the middle and I honestly believe in those circumstances that was the safest choice at that time.
    Especially on city surface roads. The center lane means you avoid being held up by same-direction left-turners waiting for a break in oncoming traffic, and you also avoid being held up by same-direction right-turners slowing to make that hard turn or to wait for a break in pedestrians. You also avoid the risk of being hit by people turning onto your street from either your left or your right, plus you have a it more cushion from oncoming left-turners and cross-street right turners. You just have to be a bit more aware and watch for people changing from both left and right lanes into you.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    Especially on city surface roads. The center lane means you avoid being held up by left-turners waiting for a break in oncoming traffic, and you also avoid being held up by right-turners slowing to make that hard turn or to wait for a break in pedestrians. You also avoid the risk of being hit by people turning onto your street from either your left or your right. You just have to be a bit more aware and watch for people changing from both left and right lanes into you.
    Exactly I just didnt want to type it all out so thank you!!!

As for watching for people changing lanes into me I just leave a bit more space in front without leaving myself open to be cut off. This is when being aware of whats going on around you is crutial.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Good points all around... I'm definitely a 'modify for the situation' type. In London there are not many 3 lane same direction stretches, and the ones that are are fast movers with both left turn lanes and right turn exit/lanes..
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

I can't believe nobody mentioned this......Whether I'm in the cage or the bike, I hate following vehicles that block my front view. Every bike article/advice column/expert rider always advocates to look waaaay ahead, keep your front view clear, so you can anticipate whats coming up (stop lights, pedestrians, left turners, etc). This is something I try to practice regularly.

He had 3 lanes, and apart from heavy traffic, there is no way I'd be following a big view blocking SUV. Had he went around the SUV, its very likely this outcome would have been different.

GTA-M. Your best bang for the entertainment buck.
    What feels better than banking a motorcycle over into a corner?

Quote Originally Posted by MotoStark View Post
    I can't believe nobody mentioned this......Whether I'm in the cage or the bike, I hate following vehicles that block my front view. Every bike article/advice column/expert rider always advocates to look waaaay ahead, keep your front view clear, so you can anticipate whats coming up (stop lights, pedestrians, left turners, etc). This is something I try to practice regularly.

He had 3 lanes, and apart from heavy traffic, there is no way I'd be following a big view blocking SUV. Had he went around the SUV, its very likely this outcome would have been different.

That's a good point. See ahead of the vehicle in front of you.

And I agree with Cat. I tend to ride the center lane as well if there's not too much traffic. And I'll even ride the middle of any lane not tire tracks. I'll do my aggressive lane blocking position when a car is approaching me but this type of riding as most pointed out requires constant attention to our surroundings.

But this video is a good example of ways the rider could have avoided an accident even though it may not be his fault for being rear ended.

Pardon...
    He said "lets get this thread started correctly... ****in women can't drive for ****."

Quote Originally Posted by Rimbambito View Post
    He said "lets get this thread started correctly... ****in women can't drive for ****."
    lol I know that... he's got some balls saying it though.

Ha ha ha I can say balls and it doesn't get bleeped out
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Thank-you =)

I've been thinking about getting a brake light modulator for a while now...might do it this season.

Quote Originally Posted by jc100 View Post
    I've been thinking about getting a brake light modulator for a while now...might do it this season.
    I think brake light modulator are annoying but that's just my opinion.

There's some that will argue it causes more rear end collision because the driver is zoned into the constant flashing sort of like a cop's siren.

What's wrong with just manually flashing the brake lights? Or flailing your arms or sticking your arm straight out with palm facing the driver or weaving your brake as you come to a stop? Or even turning around a bit to make eye contact with the driver.