Always Check your mirrors before and after stopping!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Always Check your mirrors before and after stopping!

Always Check your mirrors before and after stopping!

Last edited by Sushii; 02-08-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Re: Always Check your mirrors before and after stopping!

senior drivers...

Or cell-phone yappers.

awesome landing!

Wow, glad the riders okay. Cager obviously came up way to fast. But IMO rider stopped to close to cage in front....no escape route.
    '08 Ducati Hypermotard
    '86 Yamaha BW200

lets get this thread started correctly... ****in women can't drive for ****.

Wow, 10 points for the landing!

That happened so fast, he for sure wasn't expecting it.
    IF there is anything I learned from my M1x course, it was to shoulder check and I do it religiously.

Buddy sure was calm, I don't know if I would have been so nice to the driver after that. But, I suppose he just felt lucky to walk away like that.

Quote Originally Posted by rmemedic View Post
    Wow, 10 points for the landing!

That happened so fast, he for sure wasn't expecting it.
    IF there is anything I learned from my M1x course, it was to shoulder check and I do it religiously.

Buddy sure was calm, I don't know if I would have been so nice to the driver after that. But, I suppose he just felt lucky to walk away like that.
    I would imagine he was too stunned to be angry at that point. Give him 15 more seconds...
    "Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines."
    General "Buck" Turgidson, (George C. Scott)
    Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

2007 R1200GS with an identity crisis.

Checking my mirrors when coming to a stop has saved me twice. Once I swerved into the left turn lane to avoid a car that wasn't stopping (the car then blew through the red light), and once I swerved to the painted line as a car squeeled up beside me. IMO, if you're not checking you're mirrors it's only a matter of time before you are rear ended.
    Semper ubi sub ubi

checking your mirrors when you stop is never enough, at least in the city...all too often i keep an eye on who's behind me, if they're too close, i just get out of there...it's saved my butt a few times...

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
    Pardon...
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

Quote Originally Posted by BrianZ View Post
    Checking my mirrors when coming to a stop has saved me twice. Once I swerved into the left turn lane to avoid a car that wasn't stopping (the car then blew through the red light), and once I swerved to the painted line as a car squeeled up beside me. IMO, if you're not checking you're mirrors it's only a matter of time before you are rear ended.
    Quote Originally Posted by GayManLoveIsOK View Post
    checking your mirrors when you stop is never enough, at least in the city...all too often i keep an eye on who's behind me, if they're too close, i just get out of there...it's saved my butt a few times...
    +1 to both

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki911 View Post
    Pardon...

Seriously Pocket, do you need to start with this? Every person I've had close calls with (on my bike) and the three idiots that caused accidents with me in my car were ALL men. The accidents were all men in their 60's+ and the worst close-call was with a young male in his late 20's early 30's. I've only witnessed one situation with a female and it's was my fiance that had the close call with her.

...Then one day you realise your 'knight in shining armour' is just a retard in tinfoil.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx13 View Post
    Seriously Pocket, do you need to start with this? Every person I've had close calls with (on my bike) and the three idiots that caused accidents with me in my car were ALL men. The accidents were all men in their 60's+ and the worst close-call was with a young male in his late 20's early 30's. I've only witnessed one situation with a female and it's was my fiance that had the close call with her.
    Check the stats and see just which driver demographic is responsible for the greatest frequency and severity of crashes and other forms of driving stupidity. It's not women.

And checking mirrors and being wary until you have a protective "wall" of stopped vehicles behind you is just common sense.
    Last edited by turbodish; 02-06-2011 at 07:01 PM.

UMMM.. lets not start the thread like this... All women don't drive like this... I got hit last summer and guess what..it was a GUY who freaking backed into me at a RED light..he said "I'm not use to seeing motorcycles behind me"?? WTF?? enough said!
    Last edited by 600f4ilover; 02-06-2011 at 07:01 PM.
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out the window!!

Agreed! +1

Obviously the woman was at fault there. But why the hell did the rider follow so closely the the car in front when it was obvious (or NOT so obvious to the rider) he would not have enough time to brake smoothly if anything sudden were to occur? If he had changed lanes WAY earlier or decelerated slowly given more room (which he did NOT create enough of himself) none of this would have happened.

Not blaming the rider but this is what happens when you don't give yourself enough space in front to brake smoothly and cautiously...

I got rear ended once. It was a perfect sunny day I was stopped at a red light... and stopped for a while... then bang! I saw the SUV coming in my mirrors all of a sudden (split second glance at the mirror), but heck, can't react fast enough. Luckily it was a slow enough crash that I held onto my bike and the only damage was the tail light. Lady driver (I don't mean to discriminate), claimed she didn't see me. I screamed in her face "How the 'F' could you not have seen me!" Now, I try to angle my bike in a way that if something fast comes up I escape between 2 cars or get into a safe lane. Keep your eyes on the mirrors is a good tip.
    '08 ZX6R

90% of the idiots who cause me problems with careless driving when I'm riding are men. Virtually 100% of aggressive drivers are men.

At least she sounded concerned about causing the accident and how he was vs speed dialing her lawyer for advice.
    PS

2002 Honda ST1100, 1977 Yamaha XS750, 1975 Yamaha XS500, Honda MT250, Honda CR250, Honda CB450, Honda TL125, Honda CB175, Kawasaki G4 100 and Honda CT70

Anyone notice the car in front had one brake light...lol

Now, I try to angle my bike in a way that if something fast comes up I escape between 2 cars or get into a safe lane. .[/QUOTE]

Thats good advice Wedginator
    Perhaps also when coming up to a stop behind another vehicle you should be a few inches off to the side of the vehicle in front.