Separate forum on policing issues - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Separate forum on policing issues

Re: Separate forum on policing issues

Let's do a real recap...
    1) There has been grumbling on this topic, which leaves us with 4 possible solutions
    a) Status quo
    b) Separate forum
    c) Explicitly forbid discussing the topic
    d) Kill the topic by dumping all of the discussions into a single thread

2) You showed that you didn't want option-a by going with option-d. Some of us don't find option-d acceptable, so we suggested the only relatively acceptable alternative, which is option-b, since you're so obviously against option-a.

3) I never suggested that bitching about neighbors should be put in a separate forum, just that it and all other topics of discussion are given preference over the topic of policing issues. You can have 5 threads on bad neighbors, 20 threads on politicians, 100 threads on army issues, but only 1 thread on policing issues.

Thank you and I did.. I hope that you did too
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    If it's of enough interest to the community.........
    The other option being leaving them in romper room like all other off-topic threads
    There are about 8 of you who LOVE these "not cop bashing" threads. Start your own forum if i'ts so completely enthralling to you. HONESTLY!! Why not? You then would not have to have all these common sense people, preaching self control and reflection in the middle of a nice foamy rant on public policy.

I would, of COURSE, agree to be a guest dissenter at any time. Promise!!!

Putting them into a single thread is perfectly reasonable. If you start reading...its difficult to tell when one "subject" starts and ends.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by firestart View Post
    let's do a real recap...
    1) there has been grumbling on this topic, which leaves us with 4 possible solutions
    a) status quo
    b) separate forum
    c) explicitly forbid discussing the topic
    d) kill the topic by dumping all of the discussions into a single thread
    e) let it go, and try not to cry over the fact that no one cares. Or ever did....really...besides you....it's over...move on....

2) you showed that you didn't want option-a by going with option-d. Some of us don't find option-d acceptable, so we suggested the only relatively acceptable alternative, which is option-b, since you're so obviously against option-a.

3) i never suggested that bitching about neighbors should be put in a separate forum, just that it and all other topics of discussion are given preference over the topic of policing issues. You can have 5 threads on bad neighbors, 20 threads on politicians, 100 threads on army issues, but only 1 thread on policing issues.

Thank you and i did.. I hope that you did too
    fixed.

I'm not sure how the relocation of topics goes but a thread about a cop flattening a pedestrian in a foreign country (USA) goes in the existing RR cop clump thread.
    A thread about a cop shooting a biker goes in general M/C as there may be lessons to be learned for bikers.
    G-20 antics > RR cop clump thread.
    Cop beats on homeless > RR
    Cop beats on biker > General M/C

One problem with individual cop threads in RR is that they could end up like the "What Oil", "What tires" threads that clog the general or tech sections.

Banned

Let's do a real recap...
    1) There has been grumbling on this topic, which leaves us with 4 possible solutions
    a) Status quo
    b) Separate forum

2) You showed that you didn't want option-a by going with option-d. Some of us don't find option-d acceptable, so we suggested the only relatively acceptable alternative, which is option-b, since you're so obviously against option-a.

3) I never suggested that bitching about neighbors should be put in a separate forum, just that it and all other topics of discussion are given preference over the topic of policing issues. You can have 5 threads on bad neighbors, 20 threads on politicians, 100 threads on army issues, but only 1 thread on policing issues.

You forgot option E - start your own forum at your own url - I see that the gtamoanandwhine.net domain name is available, and hosting packages with domain names are available at fairly low cost if you care to shop around.

Really, you can start your own forum with any number of free forum software packages out there. Then you will be in your own house and you can run it any way you want.

http://policecrimes.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 ...but it's American
    http://update.ocap.ca/node/467 ....but it's just a protest against police brutality (March 15 in TO...but be careful because police like to show their power at these)
    The best I found was http://www.copwatch.org/
    Keep the front wheel in the air and the shiny side up.

Guelph
    Past bikes-77 Yam YZ100, 80 Hon CR125, 84 Yam XT600, 86 Hon CR250, 87 Yam TW200, 03 Hon CBR954, 05 Busa
    Current bikes- 08 Busa, 06 Hon CRF50

Let's do a real recap...
    a) Status quo
    b) Separate forum

+1

however, as mentioned before, it's paul's sandbox. . .if he wants to take the ball home with him, it's his prerogative

for me, it's just interesting to see how easily people accept the arrogance and imperative of the 'law and order' agenda. . .

. . .when the loss of freedoms and civil liberties becomes common-place, excused, or accepted, then history has shown us that it never just stops with the so-called 'criminals'. . .

when we give over that much power, then we have forgotten that power corrupts

Banned

whats the big ****ing deal if theres a different thread for each topic ?

running out of bandwidth or something ?

please tell us the reason there can be separte threads written by different people , that are all in Romper room.

which, by the way is listed as OFF topic General Forums.

most things found in there have nothing to do with motorcycles.

we are people, and we talk about a million different things, from Carrots clogging a ****ing drain, to who's watching the UFC fights.

from a c***sucking neighbour, to who's planning a Valentines day dinner.

let the people post what they want, its not hurting you, is it ? they are still conforming to the rules.
    Last edited by yettiman121; 02-05-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: the filter didnt work on the word cocksucking

Dumping everything into a single thread is a sure way to kill the discussion. A separate forum would achieve the desired results (those who don't want to get involved can just avoid it) while still allowing the discussion on the service value that we get for our tax dollars.
    Paul, please reconsider your previous decision and just open a separate forum.
    I completely agree..

if you're going to do this with policing thread why not combine other threads that all complaining about the same thing?
    Last edited by Fingolfin; 02-05-2011 at 06:25 PM.

I had the opportunity to start my own forum, didn't take it and don't regret it. Running a large online community like this takes a lot of time and effort, which I'm currently not willing to direct that way. I appreciate Paul's hard work and the result of it. However, that doesn't mean that I won't express my disagreement with any one of his decisions that I don't agree on. In this case, it's effectively (if not explicitly) killing a topic that is pretty important to this community. Had it not been that important, certain special interests wouldn't have been complaining about the number and level of participation of/in threads on that topic.
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578

Ok. Here's my best compromise....

Beginning now...meaning I'm not filtering through all the previous posts....any new thread started about any authoritative group (cops, government, parking control, etc) can remain in RR as long as it remains a civil discussion. Once it begins to turn to bashing of any authoritative group....it gets tossed in the mix or to trash.
    Last edited by Paul; 02-05-2011 at 09:14 PM.
    "When you invite the whole world to your party, inevitably someone pees in the beer."

Visit Sponsors of GTAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post

Beginning now...meaning I'm not filtering through all the previous posts....any new thread started about any authoritative group (cops, government, parking control) can remain in RR as long as it remains a civil discussion. Once it begins to turn to bashing of any authoritative group....it gets tossed in the mix or to trash.
    Sounds good to me. I also like the idea of those discussions remaining civil and constructive. Obviously we need police services for the society to function, but we also need to put certain checks and balances on them and be careful on how we use them. Mindless loudmouths will eventually learn not to throw unrelated tirades and we will be able to focus on the issues at hand. Thank you, Paul.

I had the opportunity to start my own forum, didn't take it and don't regret it. Running a large online community like this takes a lot of time and effort, which I'm currently not willing to direct that way.
    What do you mean you have no time for your OWN forum...
    you've been ranting on this thread for the LAST 2 DAYS !!!!

get out and DO something other than hawk watch your threads
    Last edited by GSXMAER; 02-05-2011 at 09:58 PM.
    I ride hard & fast on street and track.....get the right advice @ Riders Choice .......I dive deep with The Dive Academy in Oakville.....come dive with us

Quote Originally Posted by GSXMAER View Post
    What do you mean you have no time for your OWN forum...
    you've been ranting on this thread for the LAST 2 DAYS !!!!

get out and DO something other than hawk watch your threads
    You obviously don't know how much long term time and dedication it takes to run one. Ask Paul and you'll get a good rundown of the basics

Banned

You obviously don't know how much long term time and dedication it takes to run one. Ask Paul and you'll get a good rundown of the basics
    My boots are dirty too.....any chance....nah.... nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post

Beginning now...meaning I'm not filtering through all the previous posts....any new thread started about any authoritative group (cops, government, parking control, etc) can remain in RR as long as it remains a civil discussion. Once it begins to turn to bashing of any authoritative group....it gets tossed in the mix or to trash.
    Thanks Paul....and I will be good.
    Keep the front wheel in the air and the shiny side up.

Guelph
    Past bikes-77 Yam YZ100, 80 Hon CR125, 84 Yam XT600, 86 Hon CR250, 87 Yam TW200, 03 Hon CBR954, 05 Busa
    Current bikes- 08 Busa, 06 Hon CRF50