My bikes

Thread: My bikes

My bikes

Hey everyone, figured I'd post this over in the dirt section seeing as how that's probably where I'll be spending most of my time on this site!

First up is my 2008 Suzuki LTR450 ATV.... ok technically not a bike but whatever. It's pretty much "done" as far as modifications and stuff goes.... I'm very happy with it and it does great on the trails as well as at my farm. Gonna repaint the front bumper, as well as the electronics guard. Actually picked up a winch for $40 recently, might put it on, as some of the trails I ride on have some pretty deep stuff, and I wouldn't want to get stuck!

Here's the first bike I purchased... a 2001 Honda CR125. Bought it in September. Owner said it just needed rings & the rear wheel spokes tightened, it ran well and made good power so I bought it, figuring it would probably need more work than the guy was letting on.

I've been rebuilding it over the winter, opened it up to find a blown head gasket, a piston that's been in the bike since 2001, and a cylinder with a crack in it! Also several smaller things (blown exhaust gasket, sprockets that are worn to the point that they look more like brake discs, etc)

Anyways I should be finishing it up sometime soon.

And finally my 2000 CR125. Bought it as my summer project, back in December haha. Needs a full bottom end rebuild, as well as a few other things. Came with excel wheels, a pro circuit + a bill's pipe (both needing some work), and a few other cool parts .

Ryan - 2008 Suzuki LTR450, 2001 Honda CR125, and 2000 Honda CR125

Re: My bikes

Nice rides! You'll have to be sure to join us on our Ganny rides this season...
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

Yeah for sure, I'd love to! Once I get the bike running haha.

I'm going to Service Ontario this Saturday morning to get an off-road plate and finally get the ownership put into my name (just haven't had time). Once the snow starts melting I'll start inquiring about insurance on the 01 CR125.

Also going to check out a 2000 CR250 motor tonight, and possibly a frame as well! Might have a 3rd project on the way soon. Frame doesn't have a title though, so I'll have to see what the people at service ontario say about that.

For comparison's sake, I was paying $126.88 /year for my '89 CR125R from State Farm (no fire/theft/collision - just liability). Don't pay much more than that wherever you choose!
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

Cool, thanks for the stat, hopefully it's no more than that for me. I'll shop around I guess.... though from what I understand there isn't a whole lot of companies who are willing to cover dirtbikes.

Tell me those sunset shots are advertising work. I can't tell on the crackberry, but they look awesome!

Bottom end rebuilds? It sounds like you've been doing this for a while.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Those sunset shots are amazing... Is that HDR photography to get those?
    Have fun on those 125s, I love hearing them wind out at the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    Tell me those sunset shots are advertising work. I can't tell on the crackberry, but they look awesome!

Bottom end rebuilds? It sounds like you've been doing this for a while.
    Haha unfortunately no, maybe I should see if Suzuki is interested in using them!

And I haven't been doing this for very long at all... the 450 was the first "bike" (if you consider it a bike) I bought, once I finished modding it I wanted to learn about rebuilding engines so I bought the 01 CR125 figuring it would be a good candidate for learning to do a top end rebuild on. The 00 CR125 will be the first bottom end I attempt, I've watched a few tutorials and collected a few bottom end specific tools..... so it should all work out fine!

Quote Originally Posted by rmemedic View Post
    Those sunset shots are amazing... Is that HDR photography to get those?
    Have fun on those 125s, I love hearing them wind out at the track.
    Thanks man, yeah it's HDR, I have a Canon T1i and it works great for this stuff. I hope I get a few more next summer!

when i was riding mx i added mxforum.com to my list of ontario forums to visit

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian144 View Post
    Haha unfortunately no, maybe I should see if Suzuki is interested in using them!

And I haven't been doing this for very long at all... the 450 was the first "bike" (if you consider it a bike) I bought, once I finished modding it I wanted to learn about rebuilding engines so I bought the 01 CR125 figuring it would be a good candidate for learning to do a top end rebuild on. The 00 CR125 will be the first bottom end I attempt, I've watched a few tutorials and collected a few bottom end specific tools..... so it should all work out fine!

Thanks man, yeah it's HDR, I have a Canon T1i and it works great for this stuff. I hope I get a few more next summer!
    I have a t1i and use it for mx photography. I'll have to figure out how to do HDR when I repaint the fz6

Quote Originally Posted by brockmx View Post
    when i was riding mx i added mxforum.com to my list of ontario forums to visit
    I'm on mxforum as well. Keeps me informed to my favorite sport and the cool thing is the pros actually come in and chat it up

Quote Originally Posted by rmemedic View Post
    I have a t1i and use it for mx photography. I'll have to figure out how to do HDR when I repaint the fz6

I'm on mxforum as well. Keeps me informed to my favorite sport and the cool thing is the pros actually come in and chat it up
    Cool, when you want to try some HDR just send me a PM and I'll tell you the steps I take. Takes a little bit of practice, but it's a very cool effect, especially for sunsets and cloudy days. Here are a few non-bike related ones of mine that I think turned out OK:

And I'll have to check out mxforum, sounds cool.

BTW did a little more work on the CRs today... here's my update. Copied and pasted from my build thread found here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=934752

Alright well.... hmm.... the project started to go backwards LOL.

I went out to the farm today, hoping that I could start putting some more stuff back on the bike. Anyways it's been over a month since I've last been out there. I had stuffed a clean rag over the open portions of the engine, however when looking at the motor under a closer light today, I noticed that there were a lot of particles of dirt on the crank. I wiped them off, spun the crank around again, and noticed more.

I can't say whether it was because I didn't seal the motor off well enough when it was sitting, or if it was caused by the previous owner. Anyways.... I decided the safest thing to do would be to tear the bottom end apart, and properly clean and inspect everything.

So from now on.... this thread will deal with both the rebuild of the 01 CR125, as well as the 00 CR125. I figure if I need to split the cases on one of them, I may as well do the two of them at the same time.

Here are pics from today.... took the engine out of the 01, and started tearing both of them apart a little bit.

Here's the 01 engine - oil is draining. So far I've just removed the flywheel and electronics. Forgot to get a closeup picture of the dirt on the crank, I'll try to remember for next weekend.

Here's how the rest of the 01 is looking....

Spent some time polishing the pro circuit pipe.... still needs to have a few dents removed but it is in OK shape, looks much better now that it's cleaned up. Still need to get in with a hand-held wire brush and get the rest of the rust off.

And the 00 engine. So far I've just removed the clutch components. Noticed a nice chunk missing from the inner basket. Will replace it.

Looks like a fun project. You will enjoy the CR 125's I sold mine last year and just bought another one. I missed the 2 stroke snap

Yup definitely is a fun project! They are a lot of fun to ride. Definitely not the fastest bike... but still very fun. I'm sure my 450 quad is faster than my CR125 (from the limited riding I did before the snow came), but the exciting powerband of the 125 makes up for it!