Gopro HD editing?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gopro HD editing?

Gopro HD editing?

What are you guys using? I have about 4 hours of footage Id like to edit, but have never edited anything before..What do you guys suggest? I dont mind spending some money on a good program so it doesnt have to be a free DL...

Re: Gopro HD editing?

Also does anyone have any experience making trip map videos like this?
    http://www.solrobots.com/roadtrip/full_size_sample.html
    I want to add this to my video Im going to make from my Jamaica trips, I want to show the routes we take with sound effects and clips between each stop...

Do you use a Mac, or a PC? For Mac, I would use Final Cut Express. excellent program, the "lite" version of the industry standard Final cut Pro. In Canada it's $199. For PC, the most reasonable way to go in my opinion is Pinnacle HD. Not as pro as Final Cut, but still very workable, and easy to get going.

For the maps, you do that with something like Adobe After Effects, or Apple Motion. That's an easy 2D animation task.
    "Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines."
    General "Buck" Turgidson, (George C. Scott)
    Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

2007 R1200GS with an identity crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
    Do you use a Mac, or a PC? For Mac, I would use Final Cut Express. excellent program, the "lite" version of the industry standard Final cut Pro. In Canada it's $199. For PC, the most reasonable way to go in my opinion is Pinnacle HD. Not as pro as Final Cut, but still very workable, and easy to get going.

For the maps, you do that with something like Adobe After Effects, or Apple Motion. That's an easy 2D animation task.
    Right now Im PC based, but I am looking into possibly getting a Mac...However I was going to get a Macbook so I can program my CNC machines over the internet while on these trips...Not a desktop

Where is the best place to buy these programs, I buy most of my HD recording equipment from Vistek but they are expensive...Spent about 8 grand on my Cannon XHA1 setup, and have not put out one clip. Its pretty sad actually, so I really need to get on this editing stuff...

I dont even bring this out anymore, because we never do anything wiht the footage.....Many people offer to edit for me for money, but I really want to do it myself now..I would pay someone to help, but I dont want them to just take my tapes and makes clips, I want to have control over the whole thing
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 02-03-2011 at 11:22 AM.

When you get your MBP, iMovie is pretty good to whip up some pretty pro looking vids in a short amount of time. If you really wanna get buck, get Final Cut.
    NOMFuP, Not My ****ing Problem. - Malcom Tucker

Don't wait, get an MBP if you are considering it. Don't even bother starting to cut on the PC. When you order your MBP, upgrade the ram to 8GB ASAP. It will make editing WAY quicker. Don't buy the ram from Apple though, third party hi quality modules are a way better deal. You also want a hi quality outboard drive - they're peanuts now. You always want to keep your footage off the system drive in order for the system to operate as efficiently as possible when editing.

iMovie may be a good start, it is a very easy way to become accustomed to the the editing idiom. However, as Moreno says, you'll want to upgrade to Final Cut when you can. Much more capability.

I'd trade some editing lessons for some wheelie lessons.

Oh, nice camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
    Don't wait, get an MBP if you are considering it. Don't even bother starting to cut on the PC. When you order your MBP, upgrade the ram to 8GB ASAP. It will make editing WAY quicker. Don't buy the ram from Apple though, third party hi quality modules are a way better deal. You also want a hi quality outboard drive - they're peanuts now. You always want to keep your footage off the system drive in order for the system to operate as efficiently as possible when editing.

iMovie may be a good start, it is a very easy way to become accustomed to the the editing idiom. However, as Moreno says, you'll want to upgrade to Final Cut when you can. Much more capability.

I'd trade some editing lessons for some wheelie lessons.

Oh, nice camera.
    I would have orderd the Mac book already but I need to be setup to double boot Mac/PC, because my Cad/cam software is PC based only...

Should I have Mac do that, or is there somewhere else you reccoemend to have that done after I buy a standard MBP?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    I would have orderd the Mac book already but I need to be setup to double boot Mac/PC, because my Cad/cam software is PC based only...

Should I have Mac do that, or is there somewhere else you reccoemend to have that done after I buy a standard MBP?

Running Boot Camp is dead simple...you don't need the Apple store to set it up for you.
    NOMFuP, Not My ****ing Problem. - Malcom Tucker

Getting your Mac Windowed is super easy. If you are any kind of a computer user at all, you'll not need any help. If you are uncertain, go to one of the Mac stores that isn't a corporate store. I like Riverdale Mac/Beaches Mac, and Midtown Digital (Yonge & St Clair). There is also of course Carbon Computing. They're pretty big. The non-corporate stores I think will be more helpful with what you are trying to achieve.

As for running Windows, you can go one of two ways. You can create a Windows-only partition, and selectively boot into Windows, and it will look and behave just like a windows computer. There is a utility on the Apple system disk called Bootcamp that will help you do it.

I use something called VMware Fusion. It runs Windows as a virtual machine on the Mac, under the Mac OS software, like a machine within a machine. With the latest, version 3, it works fantastically. It is also super easy to install and configure. Another such utility is called Parallels, I had less luck with that one, but YMMV.

In any case, no reason to hesitate, either of the above approaches works easily and flawlessly. The Windows partition route is the most foolproof, but a bigger pain in the neck, booting and rebooting out of the two systems. The virtual machine works so well now, and is so easy, this is the method I would choose.

Ok thanks for the info, last question doing the Windows does not affect warranty of the MBP right?

If you end up sticking with a PC, I recommend "Sony Vegas Pro" for editing, especially the gopro hd files. Files under 2gb work fine for version 9, but I had to upgrade to version 10 to get my larger files to import.

You can download version 10 from the website for free to try for 30 days - complete full version, not crippled in any way.

Then you can decide to either download the warez version, or buy it, or if you hate it - uninstall it

Vegas is very powerful though, and if you've never even used a basic editor (like windows movie maker, pinnacle, etc) you can get frustrated very quickly. Once you know how to use the software though it's GREAT!!!

Here's the link to the 30 day trial: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...rials/vegaspro
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

Running Windows does not affect the warranty. In fact, Apple ships the Windows drivers for you on the system disk as part of the boot camp utility package.

You might find this article helpful - http://www.actioncamerasblog.com/2010/05/24/382/. It's all about how to edit footage from the GoPro HD. I hope it's helpful!

Get that XHA1 out of the closet -- lets get some serious footage .....
    As for your existing footage --- nows the time to make some movies/ since its winter that is.....If you need some help with Sony Vegas Pro (PC) or Final Cut Pro (Mac)let me know ---

Ok what is the easiest way to just cut clips, to post on youtube or facebook? No editing just cut out little clips from 1hr long sessions, so I can put them up....Something I either have or can download easily would be good...Windows movie maker?

Thanks

Without getting a new Mac laptop, Windws Movie Maker should do that just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Ok what is the easiest way to just cut clips, to post on youtube or facebook? No editing just cut out little clips from 1hr long sessions, so I can put them up....Something I either have or can download easily would be good...Windows movie maker?

Thanks
    MPEG Stream Clip works well for GoPro footage. If you are just doing cuts it doesn't re-encode the video and you don't lose any quality. It's free too.

I am using PowerDirector for more advanced editing but it took me a while to find a setting that didn't **** up the video quality once finished.
    Last edited by N3WMAN; 02-09-2011 at 09:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazon
    N3WMAN is my ride
    2006 ZX-6R PART OUT

Quote Originally Posted by N3WMAN View Post
    MPEG Stream Clip works well for GoPro footage. If you are just doing cuts it doesn't re-encode the video and you don't lose any quality. It's free too.
    Thanks for the info. Definitely going to check that out.
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

Sorry about the hi-jack... but if I wanted to have a movie clip within a movie clip, say as a smaller window in the main movie what type of editing software would be best? Thanks in advance!
    Using GoPro HD
    Last edited by R1Guy; 02-15-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Any of the more "pro" softwares will allow you to do a layer like that. That's a pretty basic editing function.