Newbie gear question - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie gear question

Re: Newbie gear question

I always have a full face.... and ear plugs.... regardless of bike..... except in the dirt where I have ski goggles + mx lid.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyug View Post
    The diagram says it clearly. Most of the impact injuries happen to the jawline and lower part of the face. I can attest to that. In my second year of riding, I turned on to a gravel/sand parking lot and at a walking pace the back end slid out and dumped me to the left.
    I'll be sure to make sure I'm wearing a full face every single time I ride in a gravel/sand parking lot

Earplugs are a must even in a fullface if your going to ride over 60 for any length of time. You actually hear more because the remove the "white" noise.

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    I'll be sure to make sure I'm wearing a full face every single time I ride in a gravel/sand parking lot
    I guess you've never turned a corner with a pile of sand/gravel built up on it, park only in perfectly paved lots, and float instead of fall. I'm yet to fall on the street/track but the day it comes my face will be intact. You can take all the chances you want but when people make a smart choice especially a new rider even though a seemingly experinced rider pokes fun at them, there not the ones who don't "look" cool while riding.

i wont even get on my parents 200cc vespa without a full face. I wear gear for the crash, and i like my face sans major reconstructive surgery.
    Driving a cage is to have sanity forced upon you.

Last edited by gpz1100; 06-04-2011 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dricked View Post
    I guess you've never turned a corner with a pile of sand/gravel built up on it, park only in perfectly paved lots, and float instead of fall. I'm yet to fall on the street/track but the day it comes my face will be intact. You can take all the chances you want but when people make a smart choice especially a new rider even though a seemingly experinced rider pokes fun at them, there not the ones who don't "look" cool while riding.
    No one's making fun of anyone who chooses to wear a FF - just the gear nazis who criticize others for wearing anything less than full armoured leathers and a SNELL approved FF. That's the whole point - people should wear whatever they want and not care what others think.

If you had actually read adri's response to the OP, you'll see that he was encouraging him to choose his helmet based on his own comfort level and not to feel silly for wearing a FF on a cruiser.
    Last edited by short stop; 02-05-2011 at 04:34 PM.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

Quote Originally Posted by short stop View Post
    No one's making fun of anyone who chooses to wear a FF - just the gear nazis who criticize others for wearing anything less than full armoured leathers and a SNELL approved FF. That's the whole point - people should wear whatever they want and not care what others think.

If you had actually read adri's response to the OP, you'll see that he was encouraging him to choose his helmet based on his own comfort level and not to feel silly for wearing a FF on a cruiser.
    Actually, if you had read, you would see that the poster was not responding to Adri's response to the OP, but to his response to the poster who gave an example of a fall on gravel.
    2007 Honda CBR125r
    Prov. 15:1
    John 8:7

Quote Originally Posted by skitta View Post
    Actually, if you had read, you would see that the poster was not responding to Adri's response to the OP, but to his response to the poster who gave an example of a fall on gravel.
    Quote Originally Posted by dricked
    I was referring to this remark. No one in the thread made fun of the OP for wanting to make a "smart choice".
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

Right.
    2007 Honda CBR125r
    Prov. 15:1
    John 8:7

Left.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bacon View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I got a nice shinny black HJC
    You made a right decision. While I started riding about 6 years ago (on tiny Virago 250) body of mine, that used to race motorcyles, gave me a good advice about the riding gear (a full face helmet and a full leather). I did what he sugested and never regrated. Now days you can see more cruiser riders wearing FF. I remember at that time I was the only one wearing it on weekly rides with Southern Cruisers guys Chapter 57 from Burlington. PS. Why you don't look for used gear?
    Last edited by rick123; 02-07-2011 at 01:55 AM.

Banned

i like my face sans major reconstructive surgery
    smart man. i can attest to the fact that 2 ops, totale of 27hrs of surgery, twice reconstructed eye sockets, nose, cheeks, jaw, eye orbits, and forehead stings quite a bit.

btw, i had been wearing a fullface. they only do so much when you hit a car at 80k

Many riders use a full faced helmet. It is personal choice of what you ride with. Keep in mind that if you fall then you will be happy you have the full faced helmet.
    Come Ride With Us
    Quality Used Motorcycles
    www.ridewithvos.com

Even if you look like an idiot to begin with the FF will most likely hide that fact.
    "...with extreme prejudice."
    www.mapleafmoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by MapleafMike View Post
    Even if you look like an idiot to begin with the FF will most likely hide that fact.
    LOL. going out of town pack both. You never know what might come or who you might meet along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by CFunk View Post
    I don't know how anyone rides with a half-helmet outside the city. The thought of all the bugs I have to clean off my face shield
    "I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird." FZ

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

KELOWNA 09 'The big wet one..'

I was a little late on replying but you can always ask yourself this;
    Will I look like more of an idiot with a full face bucket OR if I have a half helmet (and half of a jaw ground off), bugs in the teeth, missing an eye, the tip of my nose gone??? IT'S YOUR CALL!!!
    Cheers, Sadz.

I commended acruiser rider , in a coffee shop, about his choice to wear a full face . I know its not a typical cruiser helmet but,...i think its a very functional choice!
    My sister decided she wanted a moped to get around the beaches...and took a course for bike riding. Second day(and last) of the course she somehow wiped out on the ride supplied to her. She knocked out her two front teeth, along with some cuts on her face, and....busted her knee to the point of requiring some titanium plates and screws. This all happenned in a parking lot!!
    After having a few wipeouts myself, on sleds , dirtbikes , and streetbikes...I would never even think of wearing a half helmet!
    Flying is easy...just hurl yourself at the ground and ...miss

Quote Originally Posted by rukus View Post
    btw, i had been wearing a fullface. they only do so much when you hit a car at 80k
    If you would have been wearing a beanie helmet that surgery probably wouldn't have been necessary. You'd probably be a RIP thread. BTW how are things these days, have they got everything working again?