SOAR OR RACE next year? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SOAR OR RACE next year?

Re: SOAR OR RACE next year?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
    Nope, not at all.

You being a douchenozzle? Also not breaking news.

Keep on keeping on buddy.
    you got it

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
    Interesting discussion. RACE & others had some things to say about SOAR and their safety practices at the MC show... I'd like to do a round or two this year with both but I'm not in competition, just looking to do some racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    Like what?
    Statements about whether the marshalling organization was officially licensed, quality of at-track paramedic service, whether the track was safe, etc. There is a lot of politics going on behind the scenes and in my opinion, it appears that "the old guard" (RACE, CRCA, MMA, PCSC, Shannonville track ownership) is unhappy about having a new cross-town upstart competitor. If they want to criticize SOAR for this, then it has to be equally stated that RACE and CRCA and Shannonville track ownership are not fully beyond criticism, either. Having participated in BOTH series ... I believe that both organizations do very close to the best they can, with the cards that they've been dealt.

CRCA has some sour grapes regarding us using our own service that doesnt conform to their "standard". Just for a little background here I was a CRCA marshal myself long before their current president. When I started this I contacted CRCA regarding the marshal duties at TMP. I was told no they wouldnt do it. I then suggested them starting a different group "CRCA West" they could run it I would pay them and do recruiting for them. I was told no. I then asked if we could have CRCA do the training for our group. I was told no.
    I dont know what they expected me to do,"O well CRCA wont play........I guess I better just forget the series". I just side stepped them and started a marshal group and had Steve Brown do the training (BTW He trained Marty Cooper the CRCA President) Steve was a marshal when I was in the mid eighties so he damn straight knows marshaling. Since then Kevin Bansfield has taken the MMS training and heads up on track training for SORMS.
    It was so bad last year the CRCA actually complained that we were "poaching" marshals at the Toronto Bike show to Peter Sheppard of the MMC. I told Peter then as I told CRCA numerous times that i would welcome their involvement but they are the ones that are saying no.
    Bottom line is that they wont be happy unless we just stop operations. Not going to happen.
    As for the paramedics they are all provincially licensed and we actually insist that at least one is the highest level that can administer meds under doctors direction. This is the highest level that we have in Ontario. The service that we use is EMR they are a motorsport only service that is also used by Grand Bend and various stock car and flat track venues.
    All of our contracted services both marshal and EMT has passed the scrutiny of the insurance carrier Lloyds of London. So if RACE and/or CRCA dont like it thats unfortunate but just smacks of sour grapes.
    If anyone has questions regarding our safety concerns or practices please feel free to ask and I will do what I can to answer them.
    Keep in mind I have been a racer myself for many years (well over 20) with more than half as an expert/pro. I have raced all over North America with WERA,CCS,GLRRA,AMA,PC,AHRMA,ASM, and yes even RACE. I was a corner worker for about 5 years before that and did events such as World SBK, RACE (regional and nationals), CART, IMSA, SCCA, NASCAR, AMA..... Lets just say its not my first time to the rodeo and I have a pretty good handle on how things work from both sides of the saddle and resent comments (generally behind my back) regarding how we operate.
    Once again please feel free to ask any question you want and just for the record we will be in London this weekend recruiting a London contingent of marshals with SORMS.
    For all of you that want to run all these tracks marshals dont just appear and need to be recruited, organized and trained.

Keep doing what you're doing, Ken. We're good with it

And if anyone has spare people around the paddock, volunteer them to be a track marshal! Doesn't matter SOAR or RACE, both marshalling organizations need more people.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Keep doing what you're doing, Ken. We're good with it

+1.

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    CRCA has some sour grapes regarding us using our own service that doesnt conform to their "standard". Just for a little background here I was a CRCA marshal myself long before their current president. When I started this I contacted CRCA regarding the marshal duties at TMP. I was told no they wouldnt do it. I then suggested them starting a different group "CRCA West" they could run it I would pay them and do recruiting for them. I was told no. I then asked if we could have CRCA do the training for our group. I was told no.
    I dont know what they expected me to do,"O well CRCA wont play........I guess I better just forget the series". I just side stepped them and started a marshal group and had Steve Brown do the training (BTW He trained Marty Cooper the CRCA President) Steve was a marshal when I was in the mid eighties so he damn straight knows marshaling. Since then Kevin Bansfield has taken the MMS training and heads up on track training for SORMS.
    It was so bad last year the CRCA actually complained that we were "poaching" marshals at the Toronto Bike show to Peter Sheppard of the MMC. I told Peter then as I told CRCA numerous times that i would welcome their involvement but they are the ones that are saying no.
    Bottom line is that they wont be happy unless we just stop operations. Not going to happen.
    As for the paramedics they are all provincially licensed and we actually insist that at least one is the highest level that can administer meds under doctors direction. This is the highest level that we have in Ontario. The service that we use is EMR they are a motorsport only service that is also used by Grand Bend and various stock car and flat track venues.
    All of our contracted services both marshal and EMT has passed the scrutiny of the insurance carrier Lloyds of London. So if RACE and/or CRCA dont like it thats unfortunate but just smacks of sour grapes.
    If anyone has questions regarding our safety concerns or practices please feel free to ask and I will do what I can to answer them.
    Keep in mind I have been a racer myself for many years (well over 20) with more than half as an expert/pro. I have raced all over North America with WERA,CCS,GLRRA,AMA,PC,AHRMA,ASM, and yes even RACE. I was a corner worker for about 5 years before that and did events such as World SBK, RACE (regional and nationals), CART, IMSA, SCCA, NASCAR, AMA..... Lets just say its not my first time to the rodeo and I have a pretty good handle on how things work from both sides of the saddle and resent comments (generally behind my back) regarding how we operate.
    Once again please feel free to ask any question you want and just for the record we will be in London this weekend recruiting a London contingent of marshals with SORMS.
    For all of you that want to run all these tracks marshals dont just appear and need to be recruited, organized and trained.
    Out of sheer nosiness, what is CRCA's horse in this game? Aren't marshalls supposed to be impartial/neutral/whatever?

Years ago when they began they were not affiliated with any track/org and most of their members were GTA (including me and BrianP). The monthly meetings were held at the firemans hall off Woodbine. Shortly after I left (BrianP as well) a new pres was elected. Ralph Frisken lived in Trenton and shortly thereafter became the general manager of RACE. He kinda migrated the CRCA to Shannonville and most of their recruiting came in the Quinte area. Now most of the marshals are from that area and they have become an arm of RACE and Shannonville. They have no interest in tracks outside of Shanny. Its a shame really they are the oldest marshal group and are really good at what they do.
    Marshals are all volunteer. A fee is paid to the group for race support. They in turn use the money for club perks and expenses.
    It has unfortunately become a political mess with clubs staying at their home venues.
    CRCA- Shanny
    MMS- Mosport
    SORMS- TMP and Grand Bend
    Bogie- doesnt have an organized club as I know it, I believe they pay each marshal (could be wrong)