1983 Honda Shadow Valve Adjustment Question?????

Thread: 1983 Honda Shadow Valve Adjustment Question?????

1983 Honda Shadow Valve Adjustment Question?????

My valves on my 1983 Honda Shadow VT500 are ticking. I would like to know how to adjust the valves and wondering what the specs are and how to do it. Could anyone explain it to me?
    Thanks

Re: 1983 Honda Shadow Valve Adjustment Question?????

Quote Originally Posted by Young-bike-nut View Post
    My valves on my 1983 Honda Shadow VT500 are ticking. I would like to know how to adjust the valves and wondering what the specs are and how to do it. Could anyone explain it to me?
    Thanks
    Ticking is typically not a symptom of valves that are out of adjustment, but it doesn't hurt to check them. It's not terribly complicated, to do it you should have a manual. There is a Clymer available for that bike, or there's the factory service manual.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Its pretty loud when its cold then when it warms up is gets quieter. Its coming from the top end so I though it was the valves. I don't have a manual but I guess I should get one.

remove valve covers
    put piston at TDC of the cylinder you are working on
    measure clearance
    adjust as required
    spec is .10mm for for the exhaust and intake

Donald
    Powered by Platinum Powersports www.platinum-powersports.com

If you don't know the history, check the valve clearance to be on the safe side (as per Donald's advice; just make sure the engine is cold).

Other than that, VT500 valve train is prone to ticking noise. It's just the way they are ....
    Last edited by mxs; 01-21-2011 at 06:02 PM.

I heard people say do it when its hot. What is the difference between cold and hot??

I heard people say do it when its hot. What is the difference between cold and hot??
    Do not do a valve adjust on a hot engine, do it when the engine is cold. The reason is that some clearance is required between the valve and its actuator, when cold, to allow for the metals to expand with heat. It is this clearance that you are checking and adjusting. Checking it hot will give readings that look way too tight.

Actually, the noise that you are describing sounds more like a cam chain tensioner anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterTrocewicz View Post
    Do not do a valve adjust on a hot engine, do it when the engine is cold. The reason is that some clearance is required between the valve and its actuator, when cold, to allow for the metals to expand with heat. It is this clearance that you are checking and adjusting. Checking it hot will give readings that look way too tight.

Actually, the noise that you are describing sounds more like a cam chain tensioner anyway.
    +1

Check your shop manual, it should state if to do it cold. Most bikes are done when cold.

+1 on the cam chain tensioner
    Resident Loudmouth

Ok I will do it when its cold. I will also check the cam chain tensioner. Thanks for all the help. Weird this is doing this, the bike only has 31,000km on it. Barely even broke in.

FYI my 83 Honda Nighthawk has hydraulic tappets which are not adjustable. Never needs valve adjustments. I don't know if the Shadow is the same. Mine ticks when cold and it's the cam chain tensioner like others have said, so I let her tick.
    The motorcycle must surely be the devils handy work, cuss its way tooooo much fun

The 500 Shadow has a single cam with screw type valve adjusters, so it is a relatively simple job.

It's quite normal for that bike

Ok I will do it when its cold. I will also check the cam chain tensioner. Thanks for all the help. Weird this is doing this, the bike only has 31,000km on it. Barely even broke in.