Just turned 18 going to montreal ! - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just turned 18 going to montreal !

Re: Just turned 18 going to montreal !

Quote Originally Posted by infernobuster View Post
    FYI.

Quebec has a bylaw that you must have snow tires on your vehicle now, that includes motorcycles.
    It applies from Dec 15 to Mar 15 ..and the fine is $300.
    Haha, I never thought about that before. Has anybody found a way to legitimately comply?
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    Haha, I never thought about that before. Has anybody found a way to legitimately comply?
    I am pretty sure if you are not a resident that law isn't applicable.

This idea is so full of fail I'm not sure where to start.
    2007 VRSCDX Night Rod Special - aka. The Bike I wanted in the first place.
    2002 Honda Shadow 750 ACE

Straight Pipes 4 life!

Quote Originally Posted by infernobuster View Post
    FYI.

Quebec has a bylaw that you must have snow tires on your vehicle now, that includes motorcycles.
    It applies from Dec 15 to Mar 15 ..and the fine is $300.
    That is ONLY if you have a Quebec license plate. Out of province does not have to have snow tires.

Garry
    IBAID 26718
    BMWMOA 117552
    2011 K1600GTL NOW RIDING
    2007 Piaggio MP3 (wifes)

Peterborough, or just where ever the road takes me

Quote Originally Posted by killerkeith View Post
    Almost guarantees sex doing something this dumb. 18 yr old girls are easy to impress
    I take offence to that, doing idioct things is not all that impressive, crazy things are :P
    Not wearing gear while riding is like unprotected sex. Sooner or later you're going to get a rash!

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreez View Post
    Just like Lightcycle says:

BTW I thought you had to be 21 with a credit card to get a hotel room?

Take the train: party all the way there and take the bike when you can enjoy the ride.

..."Krazy Kids"

On the other hand - what a cool story to tell - "I froze my a** off for 16 hours driving in slush on my adventure to and from Montreal".

I:
    i have come to a conclusion that maybe i want be riding a bike there only because someone mentioned the 100km winchill, and the snow tire fine which i have never heard of. im going to be taking cashride instead, which from what i see will be 35 dollars there and 35 back.

but my question is do i really have to be 21 to rent a hotel ? most of the kids in my school that i know arent even 19 and they have hotel parties, where does it say you have to be 21 ? i also heard about this but i want to make sure its true because if not i cant go to montreal and im out a $25 bet !!!
    Derbi Gpr nude for sale PM ME

Anybody whos down with a youngins meet pm me.

Yep, I mentioned the 100 km/hr windchills being much worse than whatever the wind is doing on its own those days.

Sell me your Derbi GPR for cheap and you'll have lots of cash for hotels! I think I made you an offer a while ago but you wanted more than I could give.
    Your best bet is to call up the hotels... personally if I was on a budget I'd stay in a hostel. Did that this year riding around Ontario. Call some hostels up and see. No one here is going to know what the operations of X Business in Y City will be. Call and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon View Post
    I take offence to that, doing idioct things is not all that impressive, crazy things are :P
    Crazy and Idiotic live in the same 'hood.
    New to me for 2012.

You can see from my post count that I'm not active with my opinions on this forum and mostly lurk, until I saw this thread. The thought of a bike adventure spanning 1000 kms or more is the craziest thing I have read on this forum. So I'm glad that you came to your senses and decided not to take your bike. Or at least that is what I concluded from your last post that suggests that you are riding and getting a ride so whatever that means. Hopefully not riding! NEED SPEED, I don't know you nor am I judging you so please heed the advice that you are receiving on this thread. For the love of everything good and holy, don't be talked into riding during this time period.

Montreal is a great city to party. The downtown core is awesome and a party pretty much all the time. The weather in Montreal is a couple of weeks behind what we see in the GTA. In other words, if we are riding on April 1st, they're not until April 20th or so. I spend a bit of time there and they get wicked winters - March is no exception. Besides we always get a snow pounding in March here. I seem to remember this well as my daughter's birthday is in the middle of March and I always remember being out there shoveling on or about that day.

Have fun, don't pizz off the local police department and enjoy their unique culture. Torontonians seem to share this poor perception of Montreal but it truly is a great place in Canada. You will find that your dollars go a bit further there too!
    Last edited by JZ67; 01-20-2011 at 08:23 PM.

I did this trip in school and had an fing blast! Don't pee in public, the cops are everywhere downtown and don't like it. Call ahead and book a hotel, would probably have been cheaper doing it through breakaway but whatever. The strip clubs there are........well you'll see

Don't ride, that's just crazy talk

Im glad to see that an 18 year old is listening to wiser and more mature minds,
    keep listening and and you will do well in life.

Quote Originally Posted by macrider View Post
    Im glad to see that an 18 year old is listening to wiser and more mature minds,
    keep listening and and you will do well in life.
    Well said, unfortunatley I didn't grow ears 'till I was well past 30.
    ......"Nowhere is one as free as on the road with no destination in mind"

2007 Vulcan 1500 FI - Still Thrillin'
    2003 Honda Shadow Ace (sold)
    1979 Yamaha 650 Special (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by katrider View Post
    You can see from my post count that I'm not active with my opinions on this forum and mostly lurk, until I saw this thread. The thought of a bike adventure spanning 1000 kms or more is the craziest thing I have read on this forum. So I'm glad that you came to your senses and decided not to take your bike. Or at least that is what I concluded from your last post that suggests that you are riding and getting a ride so whatever that means. Hopefully not riding! NEED SPEED, I don't know you nor am I judging you so please heed the advice that you are receiving on this thread. For the love of everything good and holy, don't be talked into riding during this time period
    You've gotta be kidding me. Even my 250cc bike has logged over 1,000 km before I turned around to head home this summer.

Many people on this sire have ridden well beyond 1,000 km from home. Some have crossed Canada by bike. Get out and ride the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    You've gotta be kidding me. Even my 250cc bike has logged over 1,000 km before I turned around to head home this summer.

Many people on this sire have ridden well beyond 1,000 km from home. Some have crossed Canada by bike. Get out and ride the thing.
    Agreed (with adri). Logging thousands of Km on a trip is awesome. Some of us need the adventure of a long trip to Fulfill some crazy urge buried deep within us. Call it adventurous! (not to offend katrider). Cruiser motorcycles are comfortable (sort of), and made for logging the miles.

The only thing I disagree with is riding under risky conditions - like riding to Montreal with a huge possibility of snowfall.

BTW - when I was about 21 - rode my first bike from Kitchener Ontario to Key West Fla. two weeks after getting licensed... (spent the next 6 months exploring the Keys)...that is what motorcycling is to me.

A great cruising song comes to mind: Steppenwolf - "Born To Be Wild" So go for it NEED SPEED but not in March.

I think I took this pic at the 2007 Motorcycle Show?
    Posted in Photography thread - romper room

Peter Fonda's classic chopper from "Easy Rider" - before it was damaged by fire. Who would have thought a 1969 movie about two Hippies taking drugs on a road trip across America would be such a classic.

Sad ending though

My Second Helmet circa 1982
    - still have it - gift from a friend - thanks I used it well

Cheers :P
    Last edited by SeaBreez; 01-22-2011 at 12:25 AM.
    ......"Nowhere is one as free as on the road with no destination in mind"

2007 Vulcan 1500 FI - Still Thrillin'
    2003 Honda Shadow Ace (sold)
    1979 Yamaha 650 Special (sold)

I had that helmet as well, back in the early 80's. It was my spare helmet for passengers.

So many things wrong with your plan, where to begin? Here we go......

1)Lets keep in mind that Montreal is actually farther north that Toronto for a minute here. How many years have you looked out the window in March and seen snow and ice still on the ground and on the roads? Can we say most of them? I can tell you here in Peterborough, which is not that much farther north (farther east though) than Toronto, we have snow and ice for at least 2-3 weeks longer in the spring than Toronto does.

2)Lets also keep in mind that motorcycles don't like snow and ice! 4 wheels lose grip, they slide. 2 wheels lose grip they fall over. Falling over is bad. Falling over is also very expensive. If you're contemplating sleeping on a floor to save $$ on a motel room, then I'm guessing that fixing/replacing damaged parts to your bike is not a cost you want to have either.

3)Temperatures. While 2-5 degrees feels pretty warm sitting still, the temp will drop below freezing very quickly if you count the windchill while riding a bike, especially when you start riding over 60+km/h. Frost bite can set in quickly, especially in the fingers and toes while riding in cold temps, even when you are wearing decent warm gear. Losing a finger or toe to frost bite takes the fun out of any party, not to mention chicks will think its gross. Get bundled up and go for a ride in town and around town for an hour or two in 5 degree weather and you have a chilly but fun time. Do the same thing only drive the 500km from Toronto to Montreal and you'll most likely be spending your March break in the Hospital or at very least some flea-bag motel in Kingston because it was just too cold to keep going.

Like a previous poster said, take the train and have a great time.
    Last edited by Morrissey; 01-22-2011 at 12:59 AM.
    "Who's to say the way a man should spend his days?" - J.M.

I am originally from Montreal and I can tell you this:
    - There is snow on the ground at least until 3rd or 4th week of March;
    - There is the usual huge snow dump in early March, like 20-30 cm. If you're lucky, it won't be while you're there;
    - You may have the unusual warmer days in the 5-10C range, which prompts the snow to melt, meaning water on the roads. But at night it quickly dips into freezing temps again, turning that water into ice. March is the time of this daily freeze/thaw cycle for a few weeks, also producing very intimidating potholes on the roads.

In summary, you might get lucky with the weather there, but the odds are definitely against you. I wouldn't be taking a chance with this, on a bike, 600 km from home.

Via has great service to Montreal.
    Robert
    '02 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    '91 BMW K1 (sold)

The first point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

I admire your guts, BUT... everyone else said what i wanted to say.

I'm actually doing Montreal for a stag in a few weeks. I found a double room at the Days Inn hotel downtown for $95/night, taxes in. Not sure this is 'cheeep' but it's not that bad, and super-close to all the cool stuff downtown.

I've got a few years on you man, so I didn't check or notice if there was an age restriction...

Have heard that there are pretty good hostels downtown there. Might be fun - play monopoly and cook with the hostel people, go out, meet a girl, and then go home to her place instead
    Last edited by honduhmatic; 01-22-2011 at 06:39 PM.

I shacked up for a few nights at a hostel in Ottawa before and after riding to Montreal. Dorm rooms $25/night. All I needed was a bed. Made two awesome friends at the hostel and ended up spending more time with them than my friends in OTT or MTL. Look for a similar setup.

Leave your valuables at home. Take out whatever cash you'll need at the beginning of every day vs taking out a ******** of money once or twice. Those $1.50 fees are a small price for the safety they provide.

Have fun! Enjoy but don't abuse, too much.

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post

I can see how my words were easy to take out of context as I did not make it clear that I meant for this ride to take place in the first week of March.

The way my post reads you are totally right, 1000 km is not that big a deal. Hopefully I have made my point clear this time, LOL. I'm glad you enjoy your bike as much as I do.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...MW/speedo2.jpg
    Last edited by JZ67; 01-23-2011 at 12:39 PM.