Learning Curves - Questions & Answers - 2011 style - Page 4

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Learning Curves - Questions & Answers - 2011 style

Re: Learning Curves - Questions & Answers - 2011 style

Thanks guys, awesome weekend!

Cheers

What are the next upcoming M1X class dates available for enrollment? Also, I didn't find any details with regards to group rates for GTAMotorcycle members.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaB View Post
    What are the next upcoming M1X class dates available for enrollment? Also, I didn't find any details with regards to group rates for GTAMotorcycle members.

Regards.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?136777-GTAM-and-Learning-Curves-are-teaming-up-again-in-2011

Y
    ou'll have to call or email the office to find the next available booking date, but go through Cutekill first.
    hhobday@learningcurves.ca

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

^ I would also like to know the dates and where i can enroll in Toronto? Would also like to know if i have to wait to have my M1 for two months before i sign up or if i can do the course right away? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Balkan Ninja View Post
    ^ I would also like to know the dates and where i can enroll in Toronto? Would also like to know if i have to wait to have my M1 for two months before i sign up or if i can do the course right away? Thanks
    Go through Cutekill to register, and the office will contact you regarding dates available. Write your M1 asap so your waiting period to M2 (60 days from the date your M1 is issued) expires quickly, and you can then upgrade without delay. In a perfect world, you would take the course 60 days after your M1 and upgrade to M2 on the Monday following.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

In the opening post of this thread i noticed for things to bring for the classroom session for the m2 course, it says
    Friday:6:30 to 9:30 pm, for a classroom session. Bring your driver’s licence, M1 temporary permit, a pen and waiver.[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]
    Drivers License? do we need to possess a G license in order to take the motorcycle course? I have looked at the other riding schools and have not seen that listed on them. I am 43 and from Ontario but i haven't had G license in over 16 years. The reason being that i had a job that required a lot of travelling around the country and i just didn't stay in any one place long enough to maintain a license, so i stopped registering it and it eventually expired after 3 years (which i didn't realized would happen). So anyway, i have used public transit ever since. But i recently decided to move back to Ontario to stay and since i will have to start all over and to the full 2 year graduated thing for a car license it's the reason i want a bike one as it's much faster to get an m2 and own a bike and be able to get around. So just to clear it up. I can acquire a M2 without owning a car (G) license can i not? Please clarify.
    Last edited by britor; 07-13-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Once you complete & pass the M1 written test, you will have G1 & M1.
    But you do not need a Full G license to aquire Full M.

Quote Originally Posted by britor View Post
    In the opening post of this thread i noticed for things to bring for the classroom session for the m2 course, it says

Drivers License? do we need to possess a G license in order to take the motorcycle course? I have looked at the other riding schools and have not seen that listed on them. I am 43 and from Ontario but i haven't had G license in over 16 years. The reason being that i had a job that required a lot of travelling around the country and i just didn't stay in any one place long enough to maintain a license, so i stopped registering it and it eventually expired after 3 years (which i didn't realized would happen). So anyway, i have used public transit ever since. But i recently decided to move back to Ontario to stay and since i will have to start all over and to the full 2 year graduated thing for a car license it's the reason i want a bike one as it's much faster to get an m2 and own a bike and be able to get around. So just to clear it up. I can acquire a M2 without owning a car (G) license can i not? Please clarify.

I was wondering if this would work for obtaining my M2: I just passed my M1 today and it'll expire in 90 days. I plan on taking your course on the 30th of July. How long would it take for the certificate I get from you guys to expire? I will be going to school in North Bay during September, so I was just wondering if I can still get my M2 after the allotted 60 days, and then hand it in to the North Bay DriveTest Center. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kevin625 View Post
    I was wondering if this would work for obtaining my M2: I just passed my M1 today and it'll expire in 90 days. I plan on taking your course on the 30th of July. How long would it take for the certificate I get from you guys to expire? I will be going to school in North Bay during September, so I was just wondering if I can still get my M2 after the allotted 60 days, and then hand it in to the North Bay DriveTest Center. Thanks!
    Regardless when you take the class you can on your 61st day walk that envelope in to a drivetest centre. Provided it is before your 90 days is up. You can take the class on day 59 and two days later take it in. Hell take the class on your 1st and 2nd day and as long as you wait till after 60 days from getting your M1.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Two questions re. the M1 exit course:

1. CAN you bring your own bike? I have a scooter, and don't really want to learn on a clutch-operated manual transmission motorcycle.

2. How much time do students spend standing in the sun? Even with sunblock, being the in the heat wearing long pants will drive me mad. Once I'm on the bike it's not so bad - I'm just worried the stopping and walking/standing in our brutal summer weather. I could wait till late Sept. too book, but that would mean dealing with the M1 restrictions for another 1.5 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunk View Post

1. CAN you bring your own bike? I have a scooter, and don't really want to learn on a clutch-operated manual transmission motorcycle.

2. How much time do students spend standing in the sun? Even with sunblock, being the in the heat wearing long pants will drive me mad. Once I'm on the bike it's not so bad - I'm just worried the stopping and walking/standing in our brutal summer weather. I could wait till late Sept. too book, but that would mean dealing with the M1 restrictions for another 1.5 months.
    1. Contact the office and see what they say. Or maybe Ron can answer that?

2. We boost that we try to get you riding as much as possible. So you'll be moving most of the time cept when paused for lessons and breaks. Lessons are short as we have found most people learn best by practicing and coaching. But with all that in mind we also stress that you are welcome to take a break at any time. Just pull over safely and sit in the shade/drink water etc. Bring lots of water as that will help dramatically. In theory (from my cycling experience) you should have to hit the washroom roughly every hour... if not then you should be drinking more water.

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Quote Originally Posted by Grunk View Post

1. If the price is the same, I would suggest learning on their bikes. You don't need to worry about dropping it; and you might as well learn something new if you're paying for it.

2. I don't understand what you mean about the 1.5 months of restrictions. You MUST have your M1 at least 60 days regardless of when you take the course. You can get your M1 today, take the course tomorrow, but still need to wait another 59 days before you can get your M2.

You will be hot and you will sweat. The fact is you will not be going fast enough (and for long enough) to stay cool.

Don tells me that we cannot license you on an automatic, that it must be a geared motorcycle on our testing facilitry otherwise we cannot license you. Don also suggests you attend a weekend "Midnight Madness" course if you have concerns about the heat, and that we have an opening for the 13th and 14th of August.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    1. Contact the office and see what they say. Or maybe Ron can answer that? 2. We boost that we try to get you riding as much as possible. So you'll be moving most of the time cept when paused for lessons and breaks. Lessons are short as we have found most people learn best by practicing and coaching. But with all that in mind we also stress that you are welcome to take a break at any time. Just pull over safely and sit in the shade/drink water etc. Bring lots of water as that will help dramatically. In theory (from my cycling experience) you should have to hit the washroom roughly every hour... if not then you should be drinking more water.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

Im registered and excited for the up coming midnight madness course

I know the majority of the bikes are cbr125's but I have seen a ninja 250r in the pictures, what is that bike usually used for?

Quote Originally Posted by Nofear View Post
    Im registered and excited for the up coming midnight madness course

I know the majority of the bikes are cbr125's but I have seen a ninja 250r in the pictures, what is that bike usually used for?
    It's part of our fleet and we try to rotate interested students on it so they all get a chance to see what it handles like. That being said, watching it thump down onto the parking lot hurts the instructors feelings.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    It's part of our fleet and we try to rotate interested students on it so they all get a chance to see what it handles like. That being said, watching it thump down onto the parking lot hurts the instructors feelings.
    I'm 99% sure the 08 Ninja 250 is going to be the first bike I get, hope I get in some quality time on it. & Don't worry, I wont drop it

Yeah they had a 250 when I did my course at LC. Everyone wanted a turn on it and I knew that I would buy one but I stuck with the 125. If you keep switching bikes it's harder to get a good feel of the clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by jukon View Post
    Yeah they had a 250 when I did my course at LC. Everyone wanted a turn on it and I knew that I would buy one but I stuck with the 125. If you keep switching bikes it's harder to get a good feel of the clutch.
    True BUT it improves your skill. I encourage changing up the bikes as it helps you see the differences between different bike styles but also shows you that you will be able to ride different bikes. Generally they are the same with slight character differences. Also you might be surprised and your own desire of a future bike might change. I walked into my course wanting a sport bike. I've be riding cruisers ever since.

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Do you guys reschedule if the weather forecast predicts thunderstorms??? Just checked weather network's 14 day trend table and it shows chance of thunder showers for labour day weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by luujerr View Post
    Do you guys reschedule if the weather forecast predicts thunderstorms??? Just checked weather network's 14 day trend table and it shows chance of thunder showers for labour day weekend...
    They're highly accurate, aren't they? :PIt's the Senior Instructor's call. If he or she feels the weather is unsafe to ride in, they will suspend riding until it blows over. We've only had to reschedule the testing phase once this year due to weather. So the answer to your question is, show up expecting to ride in the rain, and hope for the best.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)