Sourcing a Bearing Puller

Thread: Sourcing a Bearing Puller

Sourcing a Bearing Puller

As the title states, I'd like to add a half decent bearing puller to my tool chest, ideally one that could handle wheel bearings, swingarm and the like. Cost is an issue, but I'd prefer something that is going to last a while.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to brand, size etc?

Thanks.

Oh, I'll add in an installer for steering head bearing races. Is there a universal beastie out there or am I better off making my own with washers and threaded rod?

Thanks.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Re: Sourcing a Bearing Puller

I'd probably look at Princess Auto for a bearing puller, from a value standpoint ( i have one thats 10yrs old) but then I use it half a dozen times a year max.

For steering head, the threaded rod , a few flat washers and I often use some large sockets is hard to beat for the price. I'd have to be doing more than 1 a year to buy the tool

a drift

Can i borrow it after you get it please?

For pulling bearings I think a blind bearing puller set works best. You can get them from all kinds of different places at very different prices...You can spend $300 on a brand name kit from an industrial tool supplier, or $150 at Princess Auto for the same thing made in China

You can use the expanding collets and slide hammer to pull bearings out, or just the expanding collets and a drift or press to press them out depending on the situation
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 01-13-2011 at 02:39 PM.

A slide hammer type at princess auto is about 150.
    a threaded extractor three jaw type is about $30
    splitter types are 20-$30 depending on size

different pullers work better on some bearings than other, some just leave no working room so that puller cant be used. The slide hammer has always worked best for me, but you need to support whatever your about to pull with the impact.
    Getting the bearing out is often easy, the pressed in races on some assemblies are a bugger.

Using a drift is an excellent way to insure you wont just be repacking the bearing and reinstalling.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post

Oh, I'll add in an installer for steering head bearing races. Is there a universal beastie out there or am I better off making my own with washers and threaded rod?

Thanks.
    I saw a universal beastie installer kit at Princess Auto. Horizontal (truncated?) slices of cones with rod hole in center.

Point of interest: when doing steering head bearings I weld around the inside of the old race. This shrinks it and they literaly fall out. Then I use it to tap in the new one.