V-Star.. Good size bike for me?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: V-Star.. Good size bike for me?

V-Star.. Good size bike for me?

Hello, I currently have a maxim xs400 and am looking for a larger and more comfortable bike to cruise on. I came across a good deal on a 2000 V-Star 650CC ($3500). The reviews I saw on the internet seems to claim its good for a tall rider, but no mention of shorter riders. Im 5'8" 170lbs, so I'm not a big guy. would I look silly on this bike? thanks!

Re: V-Star.. Good size bike for me?

it'll fit good for you
    soaked and upset

Hey zibzer, Most cruisers have low seat height so 5' 8" isn't an issue. How many km on the V-star? Have you looked into a liquid cooled bike like a 750 Honda Shadow Ace? IMHO... air cooled engine vs liquid cooled? Why not look at a bigger bike like a 900 Kawi Vulcan? More power more speed. You might find the V-Star slugglish when riding two up. Good luck.

SeaBreez

thanks for the replies. I figured 650 would be cheaper for insurance (is this true?). My friends tell me that once I get over that mark insurance goes up significantly. I dont mind the Air Cooled bikes. Less weight, less things to go wrong, and less fluids to change.

Quote Originally Posted by seabreez View Post
    hey zibzer, most cruisers have low seat height so 5' 8" isn't an issue. how many km on the v-star? Have you looked into a liquid cooled bike like a 750 honda shadow ace? Imho... Air cooled engine vs liquid cooled? Why not look at a bigger bike like a 900 kawi vulcan? More power more speed. You might find the v-star slugglish when riding two up. Good luck.

Seabreez
    35,000km

Quote Originally Posted by zibzer View Post
    35,000km

Spend more money, get bigger, newer and keep it longer. False economy with this purchase. Visit insurance forum.
    soaked and upset

Quote Originally Posted by zibzer View Post
    Hello, I currently have a maxim xs400 and am looking for a larger and more comfortable bike to cruise on. I came across a good deal on a 2000 V-Star 650CC ($3500). The reviews I saw on the internet seems to claim its good for a tall rider, but no mention of shorter riders. Im 5'8" 170lbs, so I'm not a big guy. would I look silly on this bike? thanks!

Hi zibzer,
    I have a 2001 Vstar 1100 custom. I'm 5' 7" and 180. I find the 1100 is perfect. I put on a mustang touring saddle and can ride all day. Changing foot pegs for floor boards helps a lot too. They are a well balanced bike. If you can though I would try and find an 1100 rather than a 650, especially if you plan on doing some long distance riding or carying a passenger. Wouldn't worry too much on the mileage unless its been abused. I purchased mine new in 2001 and now have 115,000 on it. Only issue I ever had was the voltage regulator went while on a trip a few years back. Other than that no other problems. Look after it and it'll last a long time.
    Last edited by The Last Boyscout; 01-08-2011 at 12:02 PM.

I can't believe some of these replies. Just because someone is of a certain height doesn't mean their leg length will match yours. The ONLY way to know if a bike fits you is to sit on it and if possible, ride it before you buy it. You CANNOT go by what other people have experienced unless they have exactly the same body proportions as you.
    2009 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Classic
    1978 Kawasaki KZ650 (project bike)

Thanks again for the tips everyone. Im not terribly concerned about mileage. Everything Ive ever owned in the past few years has either been high mileage and/or old. IE. 1974 Evinrude ouitboard for 1987 boat, 1975 Yamaha Dirt Bike, 1983 XS400 (cant remember mileage). 1998 Sonoma 250,000km, 2000 Silverado 275,000KM. All of which I should say run excellent with exception of the Sonoma, I sold that... but it was running great when sold. Im no stranger to keeping old stuff going, its the only way I can afford the toys. Heck, a 2000 V-star with 35,000km is practically brand new as far as I'm concerned! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    I can't believe some of these replies. Just because someone is of a certain height doesn't mean their leg length will match yours. The ONLY way to know if a bike fits you is to sit on it and if possible, ride it before you buy it. You CANNOT go by what other people have experienced unless they have exactly the same body proportions as you.
    Gear down big rig. Why is he even asking the question? Unless he's some kind of freak (he would know) he's gonna be in the range. The Japs design motorcycles around average people, not circus freaks.
    soaked and upset

I've also got an 1100 Custom. Good bike, solid bulletproof engine. I know guys with well over 150000 on the metre; still going. The bike is already really low. I regularily scrape my pegs. Though I agree that the 650 has little power out of the box. And you can only do so much with that engine to get more power out of it. There's a reason why the bike trader is full of them for sale all the time. People get bored of it rather quickely. IF you're set on the Vstar, and don't want the liquid cooled, the 1100 might be something you'd be happy with. Only complaint I've ever had is that it handles a bit like a pig at slow parking lot speeds. But it's nothing that a new rider couldn't get used to quickley.

Good luck with whatever bike you choose. There's lots of great cruisers out there to choose from.
    Wherever you may roam
    May you own your road.

I know a few people with V-Star 650s, of a variety of sizes, and they all seem to fit fine. I think the 650 and the 1100 use the same size frame; maybe somebody here can confirm or refute?
    There's a fellow in Caledon who's quite knowledgable on V-Stars, if you need some work done: http://rixtersgarage.yolasite.com/
    I wave to everybody. Just not you.

Quote Originally Posted by inreb View Post
    Gear down big rig. Why is he even asking the question? Unless he's some kind of freak (he would know) he's gonna be in the range. The Japs design motorcycles around average people, not circus freaks.
    ive only beein riding for a year. Ive heard a few comments of Bike size vs person size on this board, so I figured it was common to size the bike to the person. Im pretty average guy myself. Thanks for the info though
    Last edited by zibzer; 01-08-2011 at 02:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by inreb View Post
    No one is talking freaks (well, you are). One inch in leg length can make a huge difference in riding position and comfort.

I won't even comment on your use of the word "Japs".
    2009 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Classic
    1978 Kawasaki KZ650 (project bike)

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    No one is talking freaks (well, you are). One inch in leg length can make a huge difference in riding position and comfort.

I won't even comment on your use of the word "Japs".
    Bikes come in all shapes and sizes, as do people. People adapt. You see it all the time.

5ft 3 to 6ft 3 riding the same bike with maybe bar risers or peg lowering. That's a whole foot difference in height, who knows about the extremeties?

Ok, I suppose 1 inch can make a difference but seeing how people in general adapt to ergos I don't think it's very appropriate to suggest we're misleading him. He's definately in the ballpark and the final verdict might be made when he checks the bike out. Of course an hour in the saddle may tell a different story again.

I guess I didn't care for your sky is falling take on our posts.

Japs is short for Japanese, no?
    soaked and upset

I am actually looking for a vstar or roadstar 1100 or 1300. I am 5'5" and was sitting on a couple at the show to get an idea of the seating position. Pluses I've been given is there are a lot of them and therefore easy to get parts lots of mods etc. I get what you mean by moves like a pig at slow speeds. Took one for a spin at ride for sight and was disapointed by that fact but the more I think about it, Ive got a zippy little CB360 for those quick zips around the city. The cruiser is for a nice long ride.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Forget the 650 and find a 800 or 900cc bike. The bike itself will be a little larger, but will appreciate the extra power on the highway. These bikes are still very light and maneuverable.
    And NO, you will not look odd on this, or any other bike !! Ride what you like !! Sit on the bike, test ride it if you can, borrow a buddies bike and you will know within 5 minutes it it doesn't "fit".
    I had a Kawi classic 800 for my first bike and yeah I thought about the cheaper insurance on a smaller bike, but if I had bought something smaller, I would have traded it in within 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    I am actually looking for a vstar or roadstar 1100 or 1300. I am 5'5" and was sitting on a couple at the show to get an idea of the seating position. Pluses I've been given is there are a lot of them and therefore easy to get parts lots of mods etc. I get what you mean by moves like a pig at slow speeds. Took one for a spin at ride for sight and was disapointed by that fact but the more I think about it, Ive got a zippy little CB360 for those quick zips around the city. The cruiser is for a nice long ride.
    If you don't buy before spring, take my Sportster for a spin - it won't be bored out (yet), but should be fine for the long ride (previous owner modified gearing ratio so the revs are lower at highway speeds), should still have enough torque to boot around the city - trying to convert the masses
    Last edited by adri; 01-14-2011 at 10:51 PM.

The worst thing about going from the 400 to the 650 will be the DROP in horsepower. Look it up. When I had a V-Star for a loaner bike overnight, the dealership told me to put some miles on it (thinking they'd have a sale, I suppose), but when they asked what I thought of it after, I said I'd prefer to try the 1100, rather than the 650. They responded that I had been riding the 1100. These things are abominally heavy and slow. Plus I think you may have to remove the exhaust on the 650 to change the oil filter!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tonymorgan View Post
    The worst thing about going from the 400 to the 650 will be the DROP in horsepower. Look it up. When I had a V-Star for a loaner bike overnight, the dealership told me to put some miles on it (thinking they'd have a sale, I suppose), but when they asked what I thought of it after, I said I'd prefer to try the 1100, rather than the 650. They responded that I had been riding the 1100. These things are abominally heavy and slow. Plus I think you may have to remove the exhaust on the 650 to change the oil filter!!!!
    Mmm, I just checked on my v star 650 custom and I don't think I need to remove the exhaust to change oil filter. (Pipe is not in the way of the panel) However, I did see couple video on oil change for 1100 and you would need to remove the exhaust.
    Silly biker, Trix are for kids!