So what are your touring/riding plans for 2011? - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So what are your touring/riding plans for 2011?

Re: So what are your touring/riding plans for 2011?

I'm hoping for Spain this year. Locally, hope to do Finger Lakes, BRP and/or Deal's Gap

Top of my list in the one trip I planned for but didn't make last year - to the Grand Canyon. This year I'm scheduling for second week in June for two weeks. Last year I booked two weeks off in September and it was going to be my last substantial tour of the season. I made my trips to Americade and Deals Gap, but add in several excursions to West Virginia, a second trip to South Carolina, a long weekend in Saratoga Springs, and a trip up north - by the time fall came around, my budget only allowed a Thanksgiving weekend trip to the Grand Canyon of PA. SO this year I've already put aside the money in my vacation fund - going to run through Nebraska to Estes Park in Colorado - spent a day or two there touring the Rockies, boot down through Grand Junction to Moab, Utah - then down to Flagstaff - spend 2 or 3 days there with a side trip possibly to Las Vegas, short trip to Albuquerque because a friend told me it was beautiful, then home in hopefully 4 days, maybe a little longer if I decide to run back on Rte 66..I should still have lots of time. After that, I'd like to go back to the Mountain Fest bike rally in Morgantown, West Virginia, maybe back down with my friend to Deals Gap in late August, September - shorter trips to see friends in Pennsylvania and the Andironak area - only thing carved in stone right now is the Grand Canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieGirl View Post
    only thing carved in stone right now is the Grand Canyon.
    Nice It took millions of years, apparently. It'll be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieGirl View Post
    Top of my list in the one trip I planned for but didn't make last year - to the Grand Canyon. This year I'm scheduling for second week in June for two weeks. .
    I haven't firmed up my route or dates but this is roughly what i was thinking out for heading out to the Grand Canyon. Basic idea is to avoid a lot of interstate (boring!) and use secondary roads where practical. I was heading through Colorado Springs, million dollar highway. down to the four corners AND then the south rim of the Grand Canyon. After that Hoover Dam, possibly Vegas and Death Valley. Haven't firmed up the route back but have heard lots of good about Utah and possibly North Dakota,

Here was the rough route:

http://tinyurl.com/27pzdev

..Tom
    Last edited by V-Tom; 01-23-2011 at 02:59 PM.
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

I've been itching to ride back to Vancouver as when I lived there I never rode bikes and missed out on the great riding possibilities. Due to low funds I figured I'd have to take a month off when my lease is up and I would have just enough to get to the 'couv and back with a couple weeks to spend with friends and family in the lower mainland and the interior.

But the problem is I can hardly stand 2 hours on my SV before I need to pull over for a break. Might spend this year trying to get my hands on a Wee-Strom and make the trip next year much more comfortable.

Failing all else, just the usual Port Dover and weekends to Windsor.

Heading to saskatchewan in july
    x

Wow, I can't match Europe or the Grand Canyon but here are the plans....

The riding plans are to get to Orillia, Wasaga, Pele Island and hopefully Kingston and Tobermory. Plus a ton of riding the backroads of Central Ontario.

Take the ferry to Pele Island: - sample some wine (weekend trip)

http://www.pelee.org/

Seems Port Dover is a bit messed up -hopefully get they will get it together before Friday the 13th (day trip this time).

I would also be interested in motorcycling out and trying SKY DIVING! Anyone in on that?

Posted again in Romper Room

Tick it off my bucket list...

http://www.ontario-skydiving.com/

SeaBreez
    Last edited by SeaBreez; 01-20-2011 at 07:39 AM.
    ......"Nowhere is one as free as on the road with no destination in mind"

2007 Vulcan 1500 FI - Still Thrillin'
    2003 Honda Shadow Ace (sold)
    1979 Yamaha 650 Special (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
    I haven't firmed up my route or dates but this is roughly what i was thinking out for heading out to the Grand Canyon. Basic idea is to avoid a lot of interstate (boring!) and use secondary roads where practical. I was heading through Colorado Springs, million dollar highway. down to the four corners AND then the south rim of the Grand Canyon. After that Hoover Dam, possibly Vegas and Death Valley. Haven't firmed up the route back but have heard lots of good about Utah and possibly North Dakota,

Here was the rough route:

http://tinyurl.com/27pzdev

..Tom
    Your link needs a password. Sounds like an awesome trip though. Especially the backroads of America!!
    Last edited by V-Tom; 01-23-2011 at 03:00 PM. Reason: fixed bad link in quote of my message

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreez View Post
    Your link needs a password. Sounds like an awesome trip though. Especially the backroads of America!!
    Try this: http://tinyurl.com/27pzdev

My buddies and i are hoping to ride to Myrtle Beach this summer. We haven't planned the route or anything yet but its about 16 hour drive and since we are all on sport bikes (600's) we will definitely be taking our time and will spread it out over at least 2 days on the way there. Hit the beach, play some of their amazing golf courses maybe and then head back. Montreal is definitely on the list as well as maybe a ride to the north tip of Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightcycle View Post
    Nice trip, (the link opened) do you have the time to hit New Port Beach (south of L.A.)? Tijuana is a blast (leave your bike on the american side). Utah and Vegas are cool too. BTW Flagstaff has a Imax theater that does an excellent tour of the "Gran Canyon".

Have fun...

Sorry, I fixed the quote in my message as well as in your quote of my message. The route is at the roughed in stage and much can change befoire I go.

..Tom
    Ride Ride Ride!

SMIDSY detailed report

Nice trip, (the link opened) do you have the time to hit New Port Beach (south of L.A.)? Tijuana is a blast (leave your bike on the american side). Utah and Vegas are cool too. BTW Flagstaff has a Imax theater that does an excellent tour of the "Gran Canyon".

Have fun...
    I'd love to do a loop up that ways and then highway 1 but I would need and extra week to do it so that isn't realistic for me.

..Tom
    Ride Ride Ride!

SMIDSY detailed report

I've just been informed that my plans for the summer have changed... we're now heading out to Saskatchewan on the July long weekend to attend my family's reunion. We'll be heading north from Grey County and taking the ferry at Tobermory over to the Trans Canada, crossing into the US at Sault Ste Marie and then taking US 2 W all the way across the northern States to North Dakota, where we'll pop up into SK and on to Yorkton. On the way back, we'll simply take the Yellowhead east down to the Trans Canada and take that all the way back to Espanola and down to the ferry again. I've done both routes a few times over the years, but the stateside route will be a first for the missus.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

Thinking about a trip out on the East coast...not 100%.Just surfing too find out info etc..but lots of local trips.The RAT pack in Niagara are planning a get together..wouldn't mind a ride to the falls,need to find a better route than the QEW.

I just got my first bike, a Vulcan, and I plan to keep it on the road as much as possible this year. Are there any group trips?

Peterborough to San Diego for the World NA convention in September. I'm interested in hearing from other members about places to see along the way. Never gone cross country like this.

I'm planing to go to Chicago from Toronto to see my friend for 3 days and back!!! 835 km any tips??
    VTX 1800R

Almost 100% carved in stone we'll be going to NYC. Riding until we get to a friend's place outside the city and leaving our bikes with him. Then well take a half hour bus in to the city to avoid to ride through NYC's traffic and spend more time in bars in between tourist stops.

Gaspe is hypothetical for now but could become a reality later.

Heading to the Dragon for a week in June - Also heading to the Philippines for a month in Dec . (family wedding)
    Teaching my daughter to ride this year after she does the course . The rest of the time will be mostly long weekend
    rides or day rides