battery charge question - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: battery charge question

Re: battery charge question

Hey.. Thanks for the reply's.

Well, I just bought the bike and tried starting the bike with it but the engine wouldn't turn over. It was -15 oC. I dont know exactly how old the battery is. I tried to start quite a few times and seems like the battery is in excellent condition.

I bought the tender afterwards and hooked the battery up to the tender in my room and the tender automatically went into the charging mode. 8 hours later it was in the charging/maintenance mode meaning the battery's fully charged but it's periodically charged as the battery loses power.

Just wondering if it's ok to carry out the same process in the cold garage.

Seems like a yes?

Yes. A cold battery will hold it's charge longer than a warm one.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Tait View Post
    Yes. A cold battery will hold it's charge longer than a warm one.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    Distrust, paranoia, it's a fine line

I'm sure the instructions are accurate 99.9% of the time... it's just that I pass by the batter at least once every few days, so I'm not exactly going out of my way to do this, or keeping track on a calendar, just something out of habit.
    this sounds like O C D, just because the battery shows full charge, doesnt mean thats it's still good. amp draw from the starter will be the real test or have it load tested at your local shop

A fully charged battery won't freeze, a discharged one may.
    "If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law." Winston Churchill

I've got bikes with standard lead acid batteries, AGM batterries, and one with a new lithium ferrous (dry) battery.

All are on Battery Tender Jr. when they aren't being ridden. Battery life is typically 5-6 years before I notice a drop-off in performance at which point I replace them before they're dead. As an observation, the lithium ferrous doesn't like the cold but I don't ride that particular bike unless its +15C.

my tender is showing the battery is fully charged. so i hooked it up to my bike and it started it right up.no problem.