Rattle can paint for race glass? - Page 3

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rattle can paint for race glass?

Re: Rattle can paint for race glass?

OUTSTANDING job on that upper! I'm extremely impressed...

I am going to do mine with Tremclad as well. I was at Lowes today and saw the Tremclad, they had regular finish, and glossy. Just white, black, yellow, red.... Oh and 2 blues. Do you think they can tint white to match my fuel tank colour?!
    S.O.A.R. #28
    2008 Suzuki GSXR 750 Race Bike... all b!tched out
    VIEW MY GOPRO HD VIDEOS @ http://vimeo.com/channels/202716

Quote Originally Posted by quikcolin View Post
    OUTSTANDING job on that upper! I'm extremely impressed...

I am going to do mine with Tremclad as well. I was at Lowes today and saw the Tremclad, they had regular finish, and glossy. Just white, black, yellow, red.... Oh and 2 blues. Do you think they can tint white to match my fuel tank colour?!
    Thanks... I don't see why they couldn't tint the white, let us know how you make out.

Will do man! I'll have to bring the while damn fuel tank into Lowes to get the match LOL

I'll keep everyone posts
    S.O.A.R. #28

Finished...

Excellent work! I will send my body work over to you now. I do not want you to get bored We still have more than a month before a ridding season. Mine will be Yellow, please

Quote Originally Posted by R1Guy View Post
    Finished...

This is just getting me excited to do mine! I have all the materials, just need to find the time to get the job done.

LOOKS GOOD MAN!
    S.O.A.R. #28

Quote Originally Posted by kamenrider View Post
    Excellent work! I will send my body work over to you now. I do not want you to get bored We still have more than a month before a ridding season. Mine will be Yellow, please
    I would but I still have another set of skins (extra) to paint... just in case history repeats itself
    Oh... FYI - Tremclad comes in a yellow gloss
    Last edited by R1Guy; 02-13-2011 at 11:00 AM.

I would but I still have another set of skins (extra) to paint... just in case history repeats itself
    I got finally my new garage closed but not heated yet... oh well, I will keep riding what I have now. I have been collecting some decals though.

I got finally my new garage closed but not heated yet... oh well, I will keep riding what I have now. I have been collecting some decals though.
    Koji find a spot in the basement... you apply the Tremclad with a foam roller so there is no mist. The house will smell a little like someone has painted for a couple of hours after but then the smell disappears. I"ve also read people have applied Tremclad in very cool weather with the same good results...

Finished...

Awesome.
    I will be doing the same thing myself. Great results!
    I wonder how a fuel tank done like this will stand up to gasoline spills?
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Danger of doing this inside and make the house smells with paint... my wife WILL tell me to paint all the house.(which she has been bugging me all winter.) So, I will not risk it....beat up body work is good enough for my slow pace.

Danger of doing this inside and make the house smells with paint... my wife WILL tell me to paint all the house.(which she has been bugging me all winter.) So, I will not risk it....beat up body work is good enough for my slow pace.
    Yeah right, slow pace... very funny.
    My wife has been bugging me to paint a few rooms as well... I never connected the constant paint smell. LOL

I actually have the gloss yellow, and gloss dark blue, oh and gloss white already
    S.O.A.R. #28

What would be the procedure for painting a fuel tank with this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboy View Post
    What would be the procedure for painting a fuel tank with this stuff?
    I'm not sure how well Tremclad holds up to gasoline spills... haven't seen anyone mention anything about painting a gas tank so I can't say how well it will work. Maybe someone else on this forum has experienced a Tremclad paint job on the tank or knows a little more about the actual paint to comment.
    But if you did want to go ahead ... sand down the tank and put about four coats of Tremclad on sanding with a fine grit sandpaper in between coats.

Just a quick update for anyone who cares lol.

I've now thrown my 3rd coat of Tremclad on my superbike tail. I've been wet sanding between every coat, and couldn't be happier with the results. I'm surprised how quick the process is. 5 mins of sanding and 5 mins of painting for each coat. Its looking damn good... If any of you are looking for an affordable paint job, that looks good and is easy to do (who isn't????).... This is perfect!

Feel free to check out my blog for some prep and paint pics. I haven't posted pics of the 3rd coat... but it really looks great! Blog link below.

Colin
    S.O.A.R. #28

I tried that thinned out tremclad technique about 5 years ago..... didn't turn out as good. lol

I just got my truck painted and the guy did a pretty amazing job considering the bodywork involved and the price I paid (about half of what macco wanted!). I told him I actually end up doing lots of track bodywork and he said he would do a set with prep for $200. I will take one for the team and bring him a set to do, if it turns out to be a decent job I will post up his info.

Quote Originally Posted by Fawaz View Post
    I tried that thinned out tremclad technique about 5 years ago..... didn't turn out as good. lol

I just got my truck painted and the guy did a pretty amazing job considering the bodywork involved and the price I paid (about half of what macco wanted!). I told him I actually end up doing lots of track bodywork and he said he would do a set with prep for $200. I will take one for the team and bring him a set to do, if it turns out to be a decent job I will post up his info.
    Fawaz the shop is going to sand down your skins prime/paint/clear them for $200?
    That is cheap... the closet I could come for my fairings was $350 and I had to do the prep. work.

Tremclad works... looks great but I"m not sure how durable it is. Did both sets of skins now and I'm really happy with the results. Once you get set up and get the hang of how Tremclad goes on it's a quick 5 min. light sand, 5 min. paint job, let dry over night and repeat.

At $200, I am in. Fawaz, let me know his contact. Whatever the job he would do, it will be better than what I have now....

[QUOTE=R1Guy;1494609]Fawaz the shop is going to sand down your skins prime/paint/clear them for $200?
    That is cheap... the closet I could come for my fairings was $350 and I had to do the prep. work.

QUOTE]

I'm not sure if its going to be a urethane or a base-clear. He was going to base clear my truck but after he had spent a ton of time welding metal in, pulling dents, and prepping and priming he asked if it was ok if he shot it in a single stage urethane instead since it ended up being a lot more work that he thought. I felt bad that I had paid so little for as much work as he did so I was fine with the Urethane.

At $200, I am in. Fawaz, let me know his contact. Whatever the job he would do, it will be better than what I have now....
    If you want to take one for the team you are more than welcome. I have never seen any bikes that he did so I am a little scared to refer him. my Truck turned out great for what I paid he was a bit late in delivery but that was because there as a TON of work. I will PM you his info