Rattle can paint for race glass? - Page 11

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Rattle can paint for race glass?

Re: Rattle can paint for race glass?

here's what I came up with. had to do a bit of fiberglass and bondo. the last coat of paint was applied in the garage for better lighting, but it seems that there was quite a bit of crap flying in the air to ruin it for me. I also didn't wetsand and buff. I'll let it sit for a few more days and take a few pictures when mounted back on the bike.

http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/...20and%20Paint/
    Last edited by mobius; 06-14-2011 at 12:07 PM.

Welcome to TCC... !

Wow that looks great! Still blown away at how inexpensive this stuff is and the finish you get out of it. Not that you even need a lot of know how or painting experience, just a bit of patients to let it sit between coats and your golden. As R1 mentioned there are gonna be alot of black bikes on the track this year! I'd be funny to have a picture of the TCC bikes beside eachother.

Looks really sharp. Wish my bodywork allowed mine to look that smooth.

in truth the camera helps to hide the orange peel a bit. for the first 3 coats of paint, I didn't thin it, they were just light coats rolled on very slowly. the last coast, I thinned, but left it thicker than milk. I was scared it'd start getting all runny on me. I'd like to wet sand and buff it, but I'll have to get me the right pad for that first.

So how did everyone's paint job hold up?

Mine held up very well... will be doing the same paint for next year.
    If I didn't have the moment before the hairpin I would have left this years paint on for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by R1Guy View Post
    Mine held up very well... will be doing the same paint for next year.
    If I didn't have the moment before the hairpin I would have left this years paint on for next year.

holds up pretty well ... mine mostly stayed on even with a lowside:P

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

I'm about to give mine a go, but I have to do a lot of prep work.... body work is in ROUGH shape. I just worry mine is stock fairings.... wonder if it will work as well on original equipment ABS as it does on the aftermarket stuff.

I don't see why not... make sure that your starting surfaces are flat and smooth as possible, everything should be fine.

Let me guess... black? lol

I'm almost finished my new paint. Had a few holes to fiberglass, and yes it'll be black but I also threw some white in there too. I'm going to use red pinstripe to cover the lines between the two colours. I'll post up some before and after pics later on.

Quote Originally Posted by R1Guy View Post
    I don't see why not... make sure that your starting surfaces are flat and smooth as possible, everything should be fine.

Let me guess... black? lol
    Ya I was thinking black... but I'm going to go with white. But I might try to do something like this if I have the time.

But you have no idea how much prep work I have been doing. I think 1/2 the fairings are an Epoxy/Fiberglass mixture with the original ABS

Im thinking about changing the paint scheme on the 3 bikes i have in the garage as well......(in the off season)

if i dont sell them first...lol

Prob wont be using tremclad....

So I finally painted the bike a few months back before I moved out of Ontario. I just took this pic today.... sorry not the greatest, but it was done the tremclad method.... except for the tank. Cola sprayed the tank with Automotive grade paint and clear. I wanted to do the HRC paint as seen on the picture above, but for the life of me, I couldn't get a straight line if my life depended on it, so I did something a bit different. I figure a Honda sticker on the lowers and maybe a maple leaf in the middle fairing would work out nicely.

The paint job itself was fairly easy. I didn't take too much time with it. There is about 3 coats worth... and it came out looking OK. It could have looked even better if I took my time, but it is a trackbike, so I'm not too worried. However, for those of you who knew my bike, it looks 10X better than what it use to. I did spend a bit of time fixing up the pastics. They had been buggered up pretty good from when I bought the bike. Even though it has gone down since, all the damage was from the previous owners. I had to fill in areas where there were chunks missing, with fiberglass and flexible epoxy. There were lots of cracks that I had to sort out as well. Plus I finally made the front look 1/2 decent by properly filling in the stock OEM headlight area.

IMO the best part was the tail section where I like the colour combo and how the two blues flow with the shape of the bodywork. The lighter tone blue was just the dark blue in a 4:1 (I think) ratio with white. I bought the regular sized can for the white and just the little ones for the red and blue (1 each).

So here it is:
    Last edited by Metastable; 12-30-2011 at 12:49 PM.

WHOA. What a huge difference. Looks real sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by joyee View Post
    Nice conversation, this is exactly one and only information which I was looking for...So Its my pleasure to have this thread.
    Thanks for sharing...
    Glad to help
    "Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of bad experience comes from bad judgment."

How does the Tremclad method hold up long term? A year later, two years later?

All Tremclad currently on sale at TSC for 15% off for anyone interested.
    Kohlarbonez... 'Cause Running Wide, Front Brakes and Grass Just Don't Mix....