Rattle can paint for race glass?

Thread: Rattle can paint for race glass?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Rattle can paint for race glass?

I build derby cars every once in a while and use the tremclad/roller combo. I do this outside, sometimes with dew on the car and get some really good results, you can't tell when it's done right.

Once painted my old sunbird with black rattle can tremclad, held up great for about 2 years before I put that car in the derby as well.

I am gonna try that watered down tremclad idea!!
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

I've started my Tremclad experiment paint job with my spare skins... so far I'm happy with the results.
    I've had some trouble keeping little bits of lint from getting into the paint and a small amount of orange peel but I've got three coats applied and have not done any buffing yet...
    The person I bought the bike from used a stone guard type finish on the skins and you can see the old paint in the first image... This is what I'm working from, the new paint is a huge improvement.

I'll post final results in a couple of days.

That looks pretty good

What are you using to apply the paint? Foam roller? Are you getting little "divots" from the contours of the roller... That need to be sanded out? How many coats do you feel it would require?

So you can or cannot put a clear over the tremclad? The reason I ask is because of the tank... Worried about fuel spillage.

The more and more I search this topic on google the more and more insane to try it!

AND, how many times did you coat/sand - coat/sand? I'm reading to do it about 3-4 times and then buff to a shine! The results are outstanding from the pics online...
    Last edited by quikcolin; 02-05-2011 at 11:14 AM.
    S.O.A.R. #28
    2008 Suzuki GSXR 750 Race Bike... all b!tched out
    VIEW MY GOPRO HD VIDEOS @ http://vimeo.com/channels/202716

I've heard that a base/clear clearcoat (i.e. urethane) will not work over Tremclad because Tremclad is never really 100% dry, but I've never tried it. Maybe the Tremclad on its own might be good enough, after enough curing time? I'd be tempted to paint a sample piece and let it cure for a couple weeks, then see what happens if you splash a bit of gasoline on it. My guess is that the shine will go away.

The piece above sure does look good in the picture ...

Quote Originally Posted by quikcolin View Post
    That looks pretty good

What are you using to apply the paint? Foam roller? Are you getting little "divots" from the contours of the roller... That need to be sanded out? How many coats do you feel it would require?

So you can or cannot put a clear over the tremclad? The reason I ask is because of the tank... Worried about fuel spillage.

The more and more I search this topic on google the more and more insane to try it!

AND, how many times did you coat/sand - coat/sand? I'm reading to do it about 3-4 times and then buff to a shine! The results are outstanding from the pics online...
    I purchased gloss Tremclad and applied 4 coats with a high density foam brush from CT... the rollers are about 4" long. Light sand with 600 + grit sand paper between coats.
    The paint has to be thinned out with mineral spirits... just enough so that it's not too runny.
    Tremclad also self levels itself so if your starting with a pretty smooth finish (which I'm not) your results will be great.
    As for durability and longevity... I'll find that out on the track this year... not sure about clear coating Tremclad, I don't plan on doing it.
    I'll post the final results for the top portion of the fairing later tonight.

I've had some trouble keeping lint out of the paint... not sure how I introduced it. Glossy black paint is a tough colour to hide imperfections so I'm okay with how things are progressing.
    The tail turned out similar to the finish your seeing on the top portion of the skins... the bottom fairing is being a real bugger (very bad shape).

Last edited by R1Guy; 02-05-2011 at 08:26 PM.

good job, wanna paint my stuff