*** Important Helmet Question ***

Thread: *** Important Helmet Question ***

Question *** Important Helmet Question ***

How do you know if an helmet is too small for you ? Is it ok if your mouth is close to the inside chin section of the helmet ?

Pointers would be appreciated.

Thx in advance
    09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

Re: *** Important Helmet Question ***

If u are not pushing it towards your mouth, I would say its too small.
    Is the cushioning touching where they should? Like cheekpads?
    Resident Loudmouth

Im not pushing it towards my mouth but when I do, it touches a slightly bit. The cheek pads are touching accordingly.
    09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

Quote Originally Posted by binelus View Post
    Im not pushing it towards my mouth but when I do, it touches a slightly bit. The cheek pads are touching accordingly.
    Did u try a larger one to see if it would fit?
    Resident Loudmouth

It's just an helmet I got with my bike deal and I wanted to use it until I buy one I really like. I fit generally fit medium. It's an HJC CL-15, small shell (which fits XS, S and M) and I changed the inside paddings to medium.
    09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

Everything should be tight but not to the point of discomfort. It's very hard to say what's good for you specifically. If you have the option, try it with different padding and go from there.
    Also remember that padding wears in a bit after a while.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

yes, if it's not giving you a headache or shaking around all over the place, it should be ok

Wear it for half an hour, strapped up. Watch a tv show or something. You'll know if it's too tight on certain points or not. Then your next question will be is it too loose.

Keep in mind helmets are shaped differently for different shaped heads. A medium size of one shaped design would be a totally different fit than the same size from the same brand designed for a differently shaped head. A google search of your lid may reveal what shape noggin it was meant for. Then determine if that's what you've got.

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    Keep in mind helmets are shaped differently for different shaped heads.
    That's a very important point that many people fail to notice. Even helmets from the same company will fit differently. I have an extra large Shark RSR2 and an RSX of the same size. RSX is physically larger, a bit too loose even, while the RSR2 puts pressure on top of my head, which becomes uncomfortable on a long ride.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

Give your head a shake...

Get it? ah ah ah

Dude, with my shoei I can touch the front and that helmut fits me like a glove, I can wear it all day and my knees will give out far before helmet discomfort.

Do what Adri did and stick it on and wait, it wont take long for you to notice, if it's really tight you should feel it right on your forehead "front to back type of pressure" but it's going to be noticable tight. If you shake your head and it moves around "sloppy feeling" then it's too lose. Remember if your going to use the helmet, your going to be using it hitting something so you want to make sure it's nice and snug and wont move around on you.

Or come off your head at 200 +
    The artist formely known as Frenchfry

If you are questioning it's fit, then I would replace it. Anything that affects confidence in your gear, I wound't wear it.

Especially, if you didn't select it yourself and was just part of package when you bought the bike.

Used helmet = NO NO

If it hurts = NO NO

If it doesnt fit snug = NO NO

If you can pry it out of your head = no no

what he seems to be asking isnt that its uncomfortable, or that the helmet doesnt fit right.... what the OP wants to know is "how do you know when a helmet fits right".

just put in on, strap it on, and keep it on for a while. it should be snug, really snug (when travelling at 120km/h and turning your head for a blind spot check the wind can tear helmet off your head if its too loose). but while it should be snug, you should not feel any sharp points pressing in on your head anywhere. if your plan is to eventually buy a helmet you like, i recommend going out and trying on several models from several manufacturers, each will fit differently. findt he make/model that fits best, then choose the paint scheme you like most.
    2008 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2009 Triumph Street Triple
    2007 Yamaha YZF-R6
    2004 Yamaha YZ-125
    2002 Yamaha TTR-225
    2001 Yamaha TTR-125L

This is a handy .PDF put out by Arai but it halfway down explains what you're looking for in a proper fitting helmet. I found it very useful.

Arai Fitting .PDF