Lap timer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lap timer

Lap timer

I am looking for a lap timer. What would you suggest? Are the GPS models accurate and better?

Re: Lap timer

i have a xt ultra light,but i would go with a gps unit so you dont need a becon...
    L.B.D. racing #116 .big thanks to uber racing, SOAR,coca cola,bob's motor sport,campbell toyota,imprial auto body.

Depends on your budget. The GPS models can be very pricey. As for needing a beacon, mine has never left the box it came in. There has been one at every td I have every been to at every track. Usually the organizer asks for someone to volunteer to put theres up. : ) I have only had one(mychron light TG) it's serving it's purpose well. Skys the limit with these things as far as I can tell, 200bux to over a grand! Happy shopping.

Whatever you get make sure you can move your transponder to the left or right of your bike easily when you install it. Depending what track your at the beacon could be on either side.
    It is what it is...

I have a black belt in anger!

I have an XT ultra also, it's worked great for me. I don't have a beacon, like 'You Know' says, most track days someone puts up a beacon. I have found a couple times someone didnt though.

The GPS models are beyond my budget so I can't comment.
    there is no spoon

i also have an xt ultra, basic enough to use easily but also has enough functions for all you need.
    their design has not changed in years which says something good i think.

I have and XT Ultra lap timer and the beacon so anytime I'm at TMP the beacon will be out... XT gives you the basic information, how fast you went around the track!

no, theres way more to an ultra,

it has a green or red light so you know if you times were faster or slower then the previous lap. you can download the info to your computer, temp, you can set up more then one beacon on the track so you can do split timing, so if you want to work on one corner it is easy to do.
    all in all its a great unit

Quote Originally Posted by geoff-9 View Post
    no, theres way more to an ultra,

it has a green or red light so you know if you times were faster or slower then the previous lap. you can download the info to your computer, temp, you can set up more then one beacon on the track so you can do split timing, so if you want to work on one corner it is easy to do.
    all in all its a great unit
    This is BASIC information

The entry level GPS units offer much more(corner speeds, Track mapping etc)

I've worked with several, as well as some of the higher end GPS units(AIM, Starlane) that integrate into the bike so you not only corner speeds in mph/kmh and track mapping, but gear, engine RPM, throttle position and the ability to set up to 5 split time locations without beacons.

All of that data can be combined to produce a theoretical "BEST" lap by putting all of your laps together, and finding the best section times and making them a single lap.

the beacon stuff is really a waste of money and offers very little help as a learning tool when compared to a GPS unit.

it would be nice to have all that, but unless your some pro racer its overkill. for the average joe like myself the xt ultra is a great unit and all you need...

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    This is BASIC information

The entry level GPS units offer much more(corner speeds, Track mapping etc)

I've worked with several, as well as some of the higher end GPS units(AIM, Starlane) that integrate into the bike so you not only corner speeds in mph/kmh and track mapping, but gear, engine RPM, throttle position and the ability to set up to 5 split time locations without beacons.

All of that data can be combined to produce a theoretical "BEST" lap by putting all of your laps together, and finding the best section times and making them a single lap.

the beacon stuff is really a waste of money and offers very little help as a learning tool when compared to a GPS unit.
    Which of the GPS models do you like the best, which offers the best bang for your buck?
    For all your Paint, Repair and Plastic Welding - Cheekeebandito http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/member.php?u=182

Quote Originally Posted by geoff-9 View Post
    it would be nice to have all that, but unless your some pro racer its overkill. for the average joe like myself the xt ultra is a great unit and all you need...
    I think just the opposite.

a pro racer will have people working in his infrastructure that can point out things that are missing, a trackday guy isn't going to have this.

your timer will tell you that you went faster or slower,,, but WHY? is the question, where were you slower? where were you faster?

I haven't met a trackday rider(or many pro racers) that can figure this out on their own while trying to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth1 View Post
    Which of the GPS models do you like the best, which offers the best bang for your buck?

http://www.xtracing.com/en/gpxpro/index.php

best unit out there for the money right now.

I have a basic GPS unit (http://www.pzracing.it/English/GPS_TimeTronic.html)
    it does not have all the bell and whistles of corner speed and track mapping but it does allow to select split times and it is very accurate (I compared it to the Turn2 calabogie timing system).
    "the only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond, to the impossible" (Arthur C. Clarke)

An accelerometer is better at track mapping than GPS... if your device has an input for it.

Quote Originally Posted by bitzz View Post
    An accelerometer is better at track mapping than GPS... if your device has an input for it.
    the XT-Pro unit above uses a 3 axis accelerometer as well as GPS for track mapping

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    the XT-Pro unit above uses a 3 axis accelerometer as well as GPS for track mapping
    ......... is this for landing on the moon or just doing track days ............ is there one that JUST tells lap times ............ yes......... BG

I use an XT Mini. The simplest and cheapest unit you can get.. works fine for me and has been very close to the AMB timing system used at Shannonville.

Both are good solutions I think.

A basic lap timer will provide you your progression overall but doesn't allow you to specify why and/or where you went faster. GPS timers allow you to analyze your riding and see where you need to work on things and where you are good. This would be in-line with that interview with Ben Spies where he talked about how you tries to shave a little time off one specific turn at a time rather than going balls to the wall for one full lap and not understanding why you may have gone faster and where you did.

Going to start saving my pennies for a GPx Pro.
    For all your Paint, Repair and Plastic Welding - Cheekeebandito http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/member.php?u=182

Well I don't plan on landing on the moon any time soon but I placed an order this morning for the GPX Pro. I have had my eye on it and it has received a lot of great reviews. It may be over kill for track days but if it helps me improve it will be a worthwhile purchase.

Where did you order from?

Riders Discount has them on sale right now, the best price I've see anywhere on that unit.