Spools Snapped Off... - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spools Snapped Off...

Re: Spools Snapped Off...

Update: FML!! Everything was going so well until the bolt extractor snapped on me! WTF!? How in the world do i get a bolt extractor out? Using another bolt extractor?

Quote Originally Posted by Sushii View Post
    Update: FML!! Everything was going so well until the bolt extractor snapped on me! WTF!? How in the world do i get a bolt extractor out? Using another bolt extractor?
    My first impulse is to grab a bigger hammer and aim blows in the general direction of the bike while cursing a blue streak.

Now that I've calmed down a bit, I'd use a center punch or drift and smack the broken extractor opposite it's "grab" direction, the on the sides in four planes to shift the bugger.

If that failed I'd get a bigger hammer and start over with the blows and swearing.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    My first impulse is to grab a bigger hammer and aim blows in the general direction of the bike while cursing a blue streak.

Now that I've calmed down a bit, I'd use a center punch or drift and smack the broken extractor opposite it's "grab" direction, the on the sides in four planes to shift the bugger.

If that failed I'd get a bigger hammer and start over with the blows and swearing.
    It'll be pretty hard smacking the extractor the opposite direction. Here are some pics

http://barwo.com/images/Q73.jpg
    http://barwo.com/images/Qas.jpg
    http://barwo.com/images/orS.jpg
    http://barwo.com/images/HJd.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sushii View Post
    It'll be pretty hard smacking the extractor the opposite direction. Here are some pics

http://barwo.com/images/Q73.jpg
    http://barwo.com/images/Qas.jpg
    http://barwo.com/images/orS.jpg
    http://barwo.com/images/HJd.jpg
    Oh snap!

Use a hammer and chisel / center punch to turn it in the opposite direction ... extractors are typically very hard brittle steel so drilling them to get them out would be next to impossible.
    I would suggest at this point taking it to a mechanic to fix it for you.
    Soar # 21

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Never too old for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    i guess not being stupid should be a prerequisite for wrenching on bikes.

Reviving an old thread, my spool snapped off not during a low side but during installation. Stupid pitbull spools! Anyways, see pictures below:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bolt has a small amount of red locktite applied as the bulk of it didn't even go into the spool hole. It was rough getting it in there even though it was aligned perfectly, don't know why.
    My List of Bikes
    2008 Yamaha R6 - Raven
    Ohlins Steering Damper | FXR Dual Halo Projectors | Pazzo Adjustable Levers | Pitbull Spools | Shogun Frame Sliders | Double Bubble Windscreen
    Passenger Peg LED | Hotbodies Undertail - Smoke| Hotbodies Racing Flush Mount LED Front Turn Signals | LED Third Eye | Fender Eliminator

Quote Originally Posted by robertojiang View Post
    Reviving an old thread, my spool snapped off not during a low side but during installation. Stupid pitbull spools! Anyways, see pictures below:

Bolt has a small amount of red locktite applied as the bulk of it didn't even go into the spool hole. It was rough getting it in there even though it was aligned perfectly, don't know why.
    Just get some pliers and force that thing out. Heat the area up if you can.

P.S Hows the R6? Was it a fair upgrade from a Ninja 250? and hows the insurance?

P.P.S I got mine removed for $50 at Snow City if your wondering.
    Last edited by Sushii; 09-28-2011 at 11:07 PM.

Pliers didn't work. Even tried to dremel and power drill that sucker out and it is too tight. Mind you, mine is red loctite, which is more perm than the blue lol.

As for the r6, it is a lot less forgiving than the 250r, but definitely a more powerful bike. Just getting use to it as I haven't had much seat time this season, but I love it.

Insurance.... 1500 ish at SF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My List of Bikes
    2008 Yamaha R6 - Raven
    Ohlins Steering Damper | FXR Dual Halo Projectors | Pazzo Adjustable Levers | Pitbull Spools | Shogun Frame Sliders | Double Bubble Windscreen
    Passenger Peg LED | Hotbodies Undertail - Smoke| Hotbodies Racing Flush Mount LED Front Turn Signals | LED Third Eye | Fender Eliminator

Pliers didn't work. Even tried to dremel and power drill that sucker out and it is too tight. Mind you, mine is red loctite, which is more perm than the blue lol.

As for the r6, it is a lot less forgiving than the 250r, but definitely a more powerful bike. Just getting use to it as I haven't had much seat time this season, but I love it.

Insurance.... 1500 ish at SF

Bring it to a shop for them to do it. Probably 15-30 minutes of work. I was charged about 30 minutes ($50) with snow city.

Why do you say its more forgiving than the 250?

Yeah, I'll look into doing it at snowcity since it is close by.

Lot less forgiving you skipped a word

My List of Bikes
    2008 Yamaha R6 - Raven

Did you try to use the spools from your previous bike?
    Are you sure the spools you're installing are Yamaha specific?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Did you try to use the spools from your previous bike?
    Are you sure the spools you're installing are Yamaha specific?
    Kawi's are 8mm while Yammy's are 6mm.

I doubt it would even go in, so its probably the right one. Either that or it was some cheap chinese made spool.

Are they genuine pit bulls or knock off pit bulls?

Bought em off kneedraggers.com so it shouldn't be fake. List price was 16 something, which is similar to that on the pitbull website

My List of Bikes
    2008 Yamaha R6 - Raven

Bought em off kneedraggers.com so it shouldn't be fake. List price was 16 something, which is similar to that on the pitbull website

That bolt is probably too long, bottomed out on the bottom of the threaded hole, and thats what caused it to snap on you...Red loctite alone is not strong enough to snap an M6 bolt clean like that...That will also make it very hard to remove with an extractor, unless you drill all the way down to the bottom of the bolt to free it up

It didn't bottom out. The other side went in just fine. It was only the right side that was very tight, the left went in effortlessly

My List of Bikes
    2008 Yamaha R6 - Raven

It didn't bottom out. The other side went in just fine. It was only the right side that was very tight, the left went in effortlessly

Thats hard to believe, but if it was getting tight you should have stopped and chased the threads with a tap

Well, I can tell you after taking the left spool out (since I didn't want a spool only on one side), the last 1/4 of thread on the bolt was a little messed up.

Probably that might be the reason, but now I just want that headless bolt put of my swingarm

My List of Bikes
    2008 Yamaha R6 - Raven

try a small pipe wrench !

There is sooo MUCH thread left there...get two nuts and lock em and un-screw the broken stud

Did you clean the threads, prior to attempting to install the spools? It's easy for grit or sand to build up in the threads, causing difficulty in installation. How soon, afterwards, did you try to remove the broken bolt? Did the Loctite have time to cure? They claim that's as little as 10 minutes. If so, then you need to heat the bolt prior to removal. Red Loctite is classed as permanent, requiring heat to break the bond.

Grind a flat area on the bolt shaft, on either side. Heat the bolt with a torch. It takes 260C, to break the bond. You won't get that from a pocket lighter. Immediately after heating, clamp a set of vise-grips on the bolt and turn it out.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Lesson learned. Always test fit parts before installing, wherever possible.
    There is no planet B.