is oil really necessary when winterizing? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: is oil really necessary when winterizing?

Re: is oil really necessary when winterizing?

5 - run engine until oil lamp is off and check level

Quote Originally Posted by 01cbr View Post
    Tear down an engine that had been sitting for an extended period of time then come back and tell us that keeping oil in the engine where ever you can makes no difference.
    If by extended period of time you mean years, then yes, however if you think oil residue evaporates in a 4 month winter storage, then no.
    Last edited by Gnu; 12-04-2010 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
    If by extended period of time you mean years, then yes, however if you think oil residue evaporates in a 4 month winter storage, then no.
    A lot of factors come in to play besides time period.
    But those parts that bath in oil are better off that way than not. Even for only 4 months.

A lot of factors come in to play besides time period.
    But those parts that bath in oil are better off that way than not. Even for only 4 months.
    BS. Do you know what a dry sump is? Do you think BMW bikes are gonna be damaged by not riding them for 4 months, because there is no oil bath in the engine?

Quote Originally Posted by EX500R2001 View Post
    BS. Do you know what a dry sump is? Do you think BMW bikes are gonna be damaged by not riding them for 4 months, because there is no oil bath in the engine?
    Yes I do.
    I also know BMW's are designed that way, those with wet sump are not.

Is damaged guaranteed? No.

My only point is bathing in oil prevents corrosion better than not bathing in oil.

I have an engine open right now. Hasnt ran in about 8 months. Cylinder walls have rust. Bet it wouldnt be there if they sat in a pale of oil.

BTW, I have a bit of machining experience. Made parts for air bus and others. I have had less important machining projects gain substantial corrosion over one evening in the trunk of my car on a cold night.
    Last edited by 01cbr; 12-04-2010 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EX500R2001 View Post
    Do you really think that dry-sump engines are completely dry? There is usually about 1/2 a liter left in the sump at any time. It is not all removed unless you take the drain plug out of the crankcase. And yes, even a dry-sump engine has a crankcase drain plug. This is enough to provide some protection over the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterTrocewicz View Post
    Do you really think that dry-sump engines are completely dry? There is usually about 1/2 a liter left in the sump at any time. It is not all removed unless you take the drain plug out of the crankcase. And yes, even a dry-sump engine has a crankcase drain plug. This is enough to provide some protection over the winter.
    Of course I know that, because I always change oil myself. You're right, there is still about half litre of oil in the sump, but you can hardly call it a bath

Yes I do.
    I also know BMW's are designed that way, those with wet sump are not.
    Name a bike that is wet sump

Is damaged guaranteed? No.

My only point is bathing in oil prevents corrosion better than not bathing in oil.

I have an engine open right now. Hasnt ran in about 8 months. Cylinder walls have rust. Bet it wouldnt be there if they sat in a pale of oil.
    You're doing something wrong. I just took apart a motor that was last assembled in 1997, but never run so it's all brand new. It still has a light coat of regular 30 oil that I put on it 13 years ago.

BTW, I have a bit of machining experience. Made parts for air bus and others. I have had less important machining projects gain substantial corrosion over one evening in the trunk of my car on a cold night.
    My lawn mower is wet sump. My generator isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by bitzz View Post
    My lawn mower is wet sump. My generator isn't.
    Is this a trick question?

Is this a trick question?
    No, but your answer might be.
    I don't think you know what wet sump is. They haven't made a wet sump motorcycle since... hmmmm... maybe the twenties.
    Wet sump is when the bottom end gets oil by spashing or dipping the crank, or in the case of my lawn mower a spoon mounted on the end of the crank, into the oil in the pan.
    Everything now is semi-dry or dry sump. A Norton or Harley is dry sump, a Honda is semi-dry sump.
    If it has an oil pump, it is not wet sump.

Quote Originally Posted by bitzz View Post
    No, but your answer might be.
    I don't think you know what wet sump is. They haven't made a wet sump motorcycle since... hmmmm... maybe the twenties.
    Wet sump is when the bottom end gets oil by spashing or dipping the crank, or in the case of my lawn mower a spoon mounted on the end of the crank, into the oil in the pan.
    Everything now is semi-dry or dry sump. A Norton or Harley is dry sump, a Honda is semi-dry sump.
    If it has an oil pump, it is not wet sump.
    I figured thats where you were going with this.

By wet sump I was referring to an engine with an oil pan rather than oil tank. I may have used "wet sump" incorrectly but its a definition widely used to describe an engine with an oil pickup in the oil pan.

By wet sump I was referring to an engine with an oil pan rather than oil tank. I may have used "wet sump" incorrectly but its a definition widely used to describe an engine with an oil pickup in the oil pan.[/QUOTE]

No , you've used the term correctly. Wet sump refers to an engine that stores its oil in the crankcase, with the crankshaft spinning in that pool of oil. What bitzz is referring to is called "splash lubrication", which is a wet-sump engine without an oil pump, and depends on 'slingers" on the crankshaft to splash oil around to where it is needed. Most bikes use a wet sump, with an oil pump to circulate the oil. A "semi-dry" sump is an engine that uses a crankcase with a separate oil cavity instead of an outside oil tank to hold most of the oil.

The crankshaft does not spin(or sit in ) in a pool of oil, the crank and bearings are well above the oil level in the pan.

[QUOTE=RonnieRev;1455081]The crankshaft does not spin(or sit in ) in a pool of oil, the crank and bearings are well above the oil level in the pan.[/QUO

You are correct, providing the bike is sitting level. Engines are designed so that the crank has as liitle contact with the oil pool as possible. However, when it is off level, which a bike often is, the crank is often in a puddle at one end or the other. l should have worded it better.