Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
That's not exactly true. I believe if you buy the bike back from State Farm (or any other insurance co for that matter) the title status is unchanged. Unless the rules have changed recently.

When i worked at Inglis i did an insurance estimate for a 2006 'Busa that had been downed. From 20 feet away the damage was barely noticeable but every body panel had a small scuff or scrape, both rims had small scuffs, etc. The estimate came out to $13,000 just for parts. I tried to get the guy to buy the bike back then sell it to me (i'd give him a couple hundred bucks for his trouble). I could have got that bike for peanuts, likely under $2000, and then picked up a complete mint fairing set off eBay or whatever for $1500 then sold the bike for $8000.

If you have connections to people having bikes written off, you can make decent coin doing that.
written off = salvage title

They offer buy back in case you want to keep the bike for off the road use. It also saves them from towing it away.

Bikes only get about a couple hundred dollars at the salvage/recycle shop.

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
+1 bought my bike back from State Farm after it was written off for some little bitty scratches. Not even a gap in the insurance on it, just kept riding it.
So statefarm wrote your bike off, and you bought it back? and it still had a clean title?

Written off = gone??