RADAR detectors - whats the deal?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RADAR detectors - whats the deal?

Talking RADAR detectors - whats the deal?

my friend says he will loan me a Belkin STI - apparently its an awesome radar detector...

but what is the legality in Ontario? I have heard you can put it in a sealed envelope if ever pulled over - that the police cannot legally search your car.

discuss

Re: RADAR detectors - whats the deal?

Quote Originally Posted by BradPitt View Post
    my friend says he will loan me a Belkin STI - apparently its an awesome radar detector...

but what is the legality in Ontario? I have heard you can put it in a sealed envelope if ever pulled over - that the police cannot legally search your car.

discuss
    Good luck with that one. Yes they can search your car, with grounds. Having an indication that you have an illegal radar detector in your vehicle is grounds. They can tear your car apart and leave it in pieces on the side of the road, should they wish to.
    2010 BMW S1000RR

RADAR detectors are illegal in Ontario.

I have witnessed the trashing of a car, when the wired-in detector was removed.

Something that people who talk about the self-addressed envelope thing don't seem to think about: Fumbling around with something in your car, while an officer is walking up on you, might be a good way to get shot.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I thought you could own one but it couldn't be used or accessable. In the box in the trunk type of thing.

The radar detector must be in it's original packaging to be considered legal in Ontario (shrink wrap). Found otherwise it's a court date as there isn't a set fine for possession.
    Soar # 21

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Never too old for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    i guess not being stupid should be a prerequisite for wrenching on bikes.

hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by sircastic View Post
    The radar detector must be in it's original packaging to be considered legal in Ontario (shrink wrap). Found otherwise it's a court date as there isn't a set fine for possession.
    What if it has been completely disabled? I am talking about cord cut or even a gutted unit, with the internals broken into several pieces?
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

that would make your dumb for buying it

and why won't my Garmin GPS display speed limits in Canada... it does in the UK and the US...

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

Quote Originally Posted by Skurj View Post
    and why won't my Garmin GPS display speed limits in Canada... it does in the UK and the US...
    I didn't even realise they did this until I took mine to the States it would be nice if it worked here as well.

Mine works fine in Ontario.
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (Street, Many mods)
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (AM SuperBike)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (CDN SuperBike)
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F
    http://www.kingstonriders.org/

Quote Originally Posted by evang View Post
    that would make your dumb for buying it
    Let's say I never bought it.. Let's say it was found in a pile of rubbish.. The answer to my question would have 2 possible outcomes on that hypothetical situation:
    1) The busted unit would make it to a recycling yard
    2) The busted unit would end up inside my walls
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578

I can't believe no one has combined one with a GPS unit so you could sit it on your dash and not worry about hiding it.
    Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Andreas and frekeyguy,
    Both of you ride supersport bikes on the street, and neither of you do it very well.
    Their intended purpose was for racing, why don't you guys buy scooters, the handling ability of a vespa is still beyond anything either of you are going to need.

Quote Originally Posted by BradPitt View Post

discuss
    the sti is great as it is undetectable.
    Last edited by Tyrell; 08-19-2010 at 10:21 PM. Reason: tpyo
    "Bikes are an addiction for which there's no rehab

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
    I can't believe no one has combined one with a GPS unit so you could sit it on your dash and not worry about hiding it.
    Same.
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (Street, Many mods)
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (AM SuperBike)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (CDN SuperBike)
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F
    http://www.kingstonriders.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
    www.trapster.com

Not quite the same as radar, but if enough people use it ... ! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    What if it has been completely disabled? I am talking about cord cut or even a gutted unit, with the internals broken into several pieces?
    Then it wouldn't be a radar detector but pieces of broken electronic components. Don't think you can smash one into pieces that easily if pulled over with one. They are very tough units, I ran over one with the front wheel of an F150 in an attempt to destroy it at the side of the road and the case didn't even crack.
    Soar # 21

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Never too old for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    i guess not being stupid should be a prerequisite for wrenching on bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    www.trapster.com

Not quite the same as radar, but if enough people use it ... ! ! !
    meh...I don't know about that... no reason they can't incorporate the electronics into a GPS unit with a hide able, lockable radar screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Andreas and frekeyguy,
    Both of you ride supersport bikes on the street, and neither of you do it very well.
    Their intended purpose was for racing, why don't you guys buy scooters, the handling ability of a vespa is still beyond anything either of you are going to need.

Then it wouldn't be a radar detector but pieces of broken electronic components. Don't think you can smash one into pieces that easily if pulled over with one. They are very tough units, I ran over one with the front wheel of an F150 in an attempt to destroy it at the side of the road and the case didn't even crack.
    Oh, it would be deliberate destruction of the hypothetical radar detector before it ever made it into/onto one of my vehicles, so the destruction would not be on the side of the road.

not quite true

"does not apply to a person who is transporting speed measuring warning devices in sealed packages in a motor vehicle from a manufacturer to a consignee"
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111