street vs. dirt - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: street vs. dirt

Re: street vs. dirt

Quote Originally Posted by blackcamaro View Post
    Xhumeka I believe the only trails that I would need a blue plate for is the Simcoe County forest, correct?
    You do not require a blue plate in Simcoe either - a green plate and insurance is all that you need. I was more referring to connecting trails - for example when we ride Ganny sometimes we decide to head into Bewdley for lunch. Although you can trail ride 90 percent of the way there, you do need to hit some roads (and of course there are no trails right in Bewdley) so it's handy having a blue plate. I quite often ride right into Bewdley on my green plate machines, but I'm always taking a risk doing so.

But I completely understand why you would want a MX bike and therefore no blue plate option. I just know that of my bikes, my blue plated bike (TE450) definitely sees more action than my green platers! I don't have signal lights on my TE, just the bare requirements to make it road legal. Unless you're riding very hard and agressively, a purely MX bike has little over my husky!
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

Yeah if you soften up the clickers and add a flywheel weight and hand guards plus larger front sprocket you should be ok,I forgot you want to also hit the MX tracks.

Getting screwed by our insurance companys!

I too started off riding dirt and moved on to street but come spring im really leaning toward selling my street bike and getting anouther dirtbike heck i only live 10 min from the ganny!

I pretty much did the same. Started dirt, moved to street, back to dirt. Now I do both. Why should you have to choose between the two?
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

Getting screwed by our insurance companys!

Dont have to choose just loosing interest in street riding! But hey that may change again come spring!

I started riding dirtbike when I was a kid then moved onto streetbikes when I turned 16 and rode on the street till I was 33.
    During that time my hart was still true to dirbikes but with nowhere to ride anymore(I use to live in the city) and no one to ride with I kept riding on the street. Finally got tired of the idiots on the road and just got bored of street riding I jumped the wagon back to dirtbikes and never looked back since.Im almost 40 and ride 2 stroke MX bikes,yeah it wears me out more now then when I was 15 but its worth it,some of my best rides are by myself actually,awsome way to burn off some stress that builds up during the work week,at least thats what I tell my wife

I ride fairly aggressive, some trails and some track but I also have a family to support now and cant afford to get hurt so I "try" not to exceed my limits.Dirtbiking can be quite dangerous if you dont use your head.

Quote Originally Posted by qwikz View Post
    I started riding dirtbike when I was a kid then moved onto streetbikes when I turned 16 and rode on the street till I was 33.
    During that time my hart was still true to dirbikes but with nowhere to ride anymore(I use to live in the city) and no one to ride with I kept riding on the street. Finally got tired of the idiots on the road and just got bored of street riding I jumped the wagon back to dirtbikes and never looked back since.Im almost 40 and ride 2 stroke MX bikes,yeah it wears me out more now then when I was 15 but its worth it,some of my best rides are by myself actually,awsome way to burn off some stress that builds up during the work week,at least thats what I tell my wife

I ride fairly aggressive, some trails and some track but I also have a family to support now and cant afford to get hurt so I "try" not to exceed my limits.Dirtbiking can be quite dangerous if you dont use your head.
    I hear ya usually when I ride alone I catch myself riding to aggressive and try to slow down,sometimes it helps.

I would not recommend buying something older -2006 unless it has a fresh rebuild (bottom end, topend) fresh suspension. I'm talking 2-stroke, I was 4-stroke for life guy until I rode a 2-stroke in single track. a good all around bike is a ktm 200xc or ktm250 xc, they have almost an mx suspension set up but a friendlier powerband and better gearing for the trail. my brother and I started dabbling in mx this year and his wr450 bottomed out on the smallest of jumps where my suspension hardly compressed(2009 ktm 200xc). he has since purchsed a 200xc. and if you think not enough power, I switched for a 690 enduro and am more than satisfied. 2-stroke you won't regreat it!!
    p.s. if you buy and older 4-stroke it could end up costing a fortune to rebuild everything 3g's+, 2-stroke complete suspension and motor rebuild 14-16hun.