0.05 BAC Automatic 3 day suspension? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 0.05 BAC Automatic 3 day suspension?

Banned

Re: 0.05 BAC Automatic 3 day suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by GVH View Post
    As of December 1, 2010 this new impoundment law came into effect. 7 days for the car at a secure compound.
    Yes, but only for criminal impaired over .08 BAC. It does not apply for BACs between .05 and .08 which is what this thread is about.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    Yes, but only for criminal impaired over .08 BAC. It does not apply for BACs between .05 and .08 which is what this thread is about.
    These are the cash grab BAC's
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Personally, I don't have even one drink and get behind the wheel or handlebars. I'm not much of a drinker anyway, so it's not a big sacrifice, but if I ever do have a serious collision in which somebody gets hurt, I want to be damned sure in my own mind it wasn't because I had a drink and maybe compromised my reaction time just enough.
    I wave to everybody. Just not you.

Quote Originally Posted by GVH View Post
    Unless you have written permission to park on the private lot you will be towed.
    I'd like to know the truth of this as a "private lot" owner... because if someone decides to park on my lot.. I can NOT have that car towed.... I have found if a car is left on my lot that I don't want there.. I drag it out onto the street,, and call the cops and tell them there is a car blocking the road. They come and tow it !
    I have had cops tell me I can NOT tow an abandoned vehicle off my property,, not even to a pound... is that a bylaw thing??? I am confooooosed.

In small incident.. with a beanie helmet.. open pipes only spark arrester baffles,, and ape hangers... pulled over into a private parking lot with complete permission to park there any time... the cops got all uptight because I wouldnt sit on the seat so they could measure the handle bar height.. and I wouldn't "give" them my helmet.. or even take it off my head for them.. I told them to arrest me ,, then they could search any part of my possesions... and I woudn't let them stick something in the baffles. finally after hours of refusing to do anything other than tell them my name and serial number.. and provide them with paperwork all in order.. they threatened to seize the bike for evidence... and have the title changed to unfit... as there were no mirrors ..
    so I let them charge me with handle bars too high.. excess noise.. and no helmet... then rode away. The court threw the charges out...
    But I am still unaware if I can refuse to allow them to tow........ being as there are 10,000 other laws they can apply ... btw. this was before 172
    just rambliin I guess as it has nothing to do with the 0.05 BAC...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post

There are also studies that show a lack of rest has more effect than 0.05 BAC.
    Oh great next you're going to tell me that driving is a bad idea while i'm falling asleep
    Driving a cage is to have sanity forced upon you.

This was in our local paper today:

"Shortly after 6 p.m. on Dec. 23, officers conducting a RIDE program at the 12th Line BWG and 20 Sideroad stopped a 20 year old male, and determined that he had a blood alcohol level above 0, in violation of his G2 Licence. He received a 24 hour licence suspension and was charged with Young Driver-Drive with Blood Alcohol Content Above Zerio. The young man called his father to attend the RIDE program, for a lift - but when the father arrived, shortly after 7 p.m., police determined that he had been consuming alcohol. A roadside screening test for the father registered a WARN - resulting in a 3-day suspension for the 45 year old Bradford resident - and both vehicles were towed from the scene."

Definitely not a good day for this family. Kid made the first mistake ... but here's where the debate should start to be fun. Would you say honest mistake for Dad because he gets the call and in the rush of the whole matter, doesn't think about the couple drinks he has had and that he might be over 0.05 while he's about to drive out into the 'bear trap'? And for Dad, that 3-day suspension is probably worth 7 days considering the stat holidays.

Well, 2 'dangerous' drunk drivers removed from our roads and I feel safer already.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
    Well, 2 'dangerous' drunk drivers removed from our roads and I feel safer already.
    You should feel safer. This was also in your local paper. That's quite a range of catches for a short period of time.
    By December 21, South Simcoe Police had stopped a total of 7,310 vehicles, performing a total of 205 roadside tests.

The tests resulted in 8 charges of Impaired/Over .080, and the impounding of 8 vehicles for a 7-day period. A total of 34 drivers received a 3-day suspension for registering a WARN. Police laid 5 Liquor Licence Act Charges, 105 Highway Traffic Act charges, 8 charges under the Controlled Drugs & Substances Act, charged 5 people for Under 22 Above Zero Blood Alcohol Content, and 6 with Novice Driver Above Zero Blood Alcohol Content. They also nabbed 1 Disqualified driver, and 4 suspended drivers behind the wheel.

Compared to last year, the number of roadside tests is up - and the number of WARN range suspensions has more than doubled.

South Simcoe Police conducted RIDE checks on Dec. 23/24, and caught 4 more Impaired drivers - including a 29 year old Bradford man. Police were just closing the checkpoint on Line 6 BWG at 2:45 a.m. Dec. 24, when a westbound vehicle failed to stop at the stop sign, at 10 SR. The driver was found to be impaired - and officers, using the mobile RIDE truck, measured a blood alcohol level of .230 mgs. - almost 3 times the legal limit. The man received a 90 day licence suspension, and his vehicle was impounded for 7 days. He has a court date in January.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    You should feel safer. This was also in your local paper. That's quite a range of catches for a short period of time.

When you change the rules its easier to pad the stats. Last year you wouldn't have had the under 22 year olds for having even 0.001 or the 3 days suspensions for a warn.