Tool Kits - Beyond stock for emergency road or trail side repairs - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tool Kits - Beyond stock for emergency road or trail side repairs

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Re: Tool Kits - Beyond stock for emergency road or trail side repairs

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    He specifically said "breaker bar" which in my experience describes the I/2" end with a chrome handle on it, like a ratchet without the ratchet end.
    That's what I meant. My toolkit comes with everything you need, in theory, to remove the rear axle. But I have stood on that pathetic little handle that they give you with the axle nut tool and bounced a little and it didn't move. I believe it's supposed to be torqued to 90 ft lbs so it's on there pretty tight. Even with a breaker bar and the bike on a side stand (leaning toward the same side the nut is on) I thought I was going to knock the bike over because it took so much force to loosen it.

There was a tool in the kit that fit in the front axle but apparently it's actually some kind of spark plug tool and I bent the crap out of it trying to use it to remove the front axle. Again, the proper socket and breaker bar made quick work of it.

I managed to break the bead on a tire when, just for fun, I tried to get a scrap tire off a scrap rim but then I couldn't get the tire off. Although all I had was a crowbar and a few screwdrivers (no proper tire tools).
    Last edited by unL33T; 01-06-2011 at 01:03 PM.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

Re: Tool Kits - Beyond stock for emergency road or trail side repairs

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    ...In your case, I'd give up the quarter inch stuff and go right for 3/8" drive sockets and a sliding t-handle in 3/8". It's bulletproof, will work even if rusty, and let's you get some real torque on fasteners. Add a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter and you're in business.

I bought the multi-axle tool from Importations Thibault through Motorcycle City oin Richmond Hill so I could invite friends over to tinker with their bikes. It's flat black chrome vanadium never been used in anger.

My other thought would be a 3/8" ratchet with the pivot head. All that add's bulk and weight though.
    For home use I have al the tools and adapter if I need them,. but I haven't brought anything on the road apart from the tire plug kit, an air compressor (which is always under my seat), a Leatherman multitool and the factory tool kit. I would not be able to remove the front wheel on the road with that. However, 1/2 inch is about 13 mm so I am going to look and see if there is a 13 mm in the tool kit. I don't think my front axle nut is all that tight (a separate nut runs interference so that stops it from turning) so if there is a 13 mm wrench there, and the extension that fits over the the larger wrench for the rear axle fits I might be in business there without bringing extra tools apart from the hex head. Actualy, now that I think about it the hex head might be 17 mm and there is a 17mm wrench in the kit so that might be able to directly turn the hex head.

Hmm...

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report