snell 2010? - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: snell 2010?

Re: snell 2010?

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    track and racing are not the same thing...for track it should be fine...can anyone confirm this?
    Yep, for regular track days your fine. I run my Shoei RF 1000 ... when racing im required to run my Bell Vortex which is Snell 2010
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

Ok cool.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    This Qwest caught my eye. I might have to try one on at the bike show to see how they fit compared to an RF1000.

Sent a quick email to RACE and 2005 will be good for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by spinto View Post
    Sent a quick email to RACE and 2005 will be good for next season.
    Is the difference between M2005 and M2010 safety wise more so for the smaller sized helmets??

Really couldnt tell you...

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    Is the difference between M2005 and M2010 safety wise more so for the smaller sized helmets??
    If I remember correctly. The 2010 snell is LESS stringent on a certain type of test than the 05snell was.

Nevertheless......the 2010snell isn't any more protective than the 2005snell.
    Last edited by MotoStark; 11-22-2010 at 09:20 PM.
    GTA-M. Your best bang for the entertainment buck.
    What feels better than banking a motorcycle over into a corner?

2010 snell should be better in the smaller sizes the energy trasnfer allowed to your head has been reduced. Basically the small helmets are now tested with a smaller lighter head form. Meaning less stiff helmets for better energy absorbtion.

Yup found it under the padding M2005. Oh well
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Thank-you =)

I think the m2010 standard is similar to the ece standard, being that snell took a lot of flack for helmets "surviving" the test and passing on the energy instead of absorbing the energy of the hit but not surviving the test.
    x

Rafiki - FAST and Turn 2 will rent you gear - just bring along a thin balaclava.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    This Qwest caught my eye. I might have to try one on at the bike show to see how they fit compared to an RF1000.

FYI, the qwest helmet is designed for touring. The ventilation is designed to work with the rider sitting in an upright position (think KLR and V-strom). Also the Qwest has a larger opening to make it easier to put the helmet on and take it off, where as the purpose built race helmets like the X-twelve are more tapered towards to bottom of the helmet in order to match the shape of the riders head more closely and to offer less of an opening for air to find its way inside the helmet when reaching top speeds down the straights.

Doesn't mean the qwest wouldn't work as a race helmet. Just means you wont be getting the most out of what that helmet offers (a more comfortable well ventilated helmet for long distance travel)

zox: crashed, hit my head, knocked out, woke up in the ambulance.
    scorpion: crashed reaaaal good, smacked my head, did some real nice damage to the shell, saw some stars, remained conscious
    HJC: crashed twice in it, smacked the side of the helmet once but not too bad, smacked the back of the helmet pretty good, saw some stars but remained conscious

moral of the story, zox sucks and I crash too much

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Rafiki - FAST and Turn 2 will rent you gear - just bring along a thin balaclava.
    Thanks meme
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Thank-you =)

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    zox: crashed, hit my head, knocked out, woke up in the ambulance.
    scorpion: crashed reaaaal good, smacked my head, did some real nice damage to the shell, saw some stars, remained conscious
    HJC: crashed twice in it, smacked the side of the helmet once but not too bad, smacked the back of the helmet pretty good, saw some stars but remained conscious

moral of the story, zox sucks and I crash too much
    Agreed!!...you do crash too much!!...but you're still at it!! congrats!! i subscribe to the theory...how much is my bean worth....(in my opinion!!)...i buy the best i can afford!!
    Last edited by spinto; 11-26-2010 at 07:50 AM.

For SOAR, will ece2205 certification on a new helmet be good for next yr and yrs following? Or just 2011?
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

As far as I know it will be fine but that is not a certainty. Right now our concern with any standard is fine Snell, ECE, BSI etc. It comes down to a manufacture date 6 yrs or less. With snell the standard changes and is refelcted on the Snell decal. ECE needs a manufacture date with it to be accepted for the same reason. Unless Jones Brown dictates a different requirement to us then it should remain the same.

Ok. Just looking into buying a couple helmets for next season( I always like to bring a spare), and don't want to buy them amd find out they are only good next yr and I will need to go shopping once again next winter if the certification isn't good for 2012
    Last edited by omnivore; 11-29-2010 at 07:45 AM.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    As far as I know it will be fine but that is not a certainty. Right now our concern with any standard is fine Snell, ECE, BSI etc. It comes down to a manufacture date 6 yrs or less. With snell the standard changes and is refelcted on the Snell decal. ECE needs a manufacture date with it to be accepted for the same reason. Unless Jones Brown dictates a different requirement to us then it should remain the same.
    Just looking to clarify.... regardless if you have a fairly new Snell 2005 helmet and its noted that " Helmets certified to the M2010 standard and ECE 22-05 will provide protection comparable to M2005 ....." (as found in Webike World article) SOAR will still require a SNELL 2010 helmet when RACE will be accepting SNELL 2005.....

So just to clarify if I get a snell 2005 with a build date of 2009 will that be acceptable? Nm I got it....no, little foggy today.
    Last edited by dricked; 12-23-2010 at 12:23 PM.

According to RACE.....yes.

SOAR......no