Self insurance? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Self insurance?

Re: Self insurance?

. . . and what if your bike jumped the curb on Pennsylvania Avenue and crashed into the Whitehouse, causing the President to slip and fall - on the big red button, thus sending intercontinental balistic missiles to Russia, Iran and China . . .
    The whole world is over-insured because of irrational fears and litigious parasites.

Quote Originally Posted by bitzz View Post
    ... except you should know that most, if not all, insurance companies LOSE money on motorcycle insurance.
    Yes, but that's due to thefts, not accidents. On liability, not comprehensive they very rarely lose money on motorcycles, the vast majority being the fault of CAGERS. For instance I myself have been riding for 37 years and have not cost an insurance company so much as a dime in at fault costs on a motorcycle. So so far it has ALL been gravy for them.
    Last edited by Nimbus; 11-18-2010 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
    Yes, but that's due to thefts, not accidents. On liability, not comprehensive they very rarely lose money on motorcycles, the vast majority being the fault of CAGERS. For instance I myself have been riding for 37 years and have not cost an insurance company so much as a dime in at fault costs on a motorcycle. So so far it has ALL been gravy for them.
    And you are basing this false assumption on . . . ?

I wouldn't go so far to say that most insurance companies lose money on motorcycles, but it isn't a goldmine either. If I had to guess, I would think that State Farm specifically loses money on it's motorcycle business, but possibly on purpose as a loss leader to attract clients to the many other products they offer.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    So far this year my own aggregate investment returns are north of 40%, .
    Dear Sir, do you have a newsletter? I would like to subscribe to get more information on your investments that are returning 40%.
    _/\_/\ . ÷ z z z Z ZZ
    ,,,-_-,,,

Bring everything you need and nothing you don't.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Biggsy View Post
    Dear Sir, do you have a newsletter? I would like to subscribe to get more information on your investments that are returning 40%.
    No newsletter. How do you put gut feelings in print?

I actively day-trade high volume big-6 Canadian banks stocks on price spikes and troughs throughout the day, based mainly on momentum and gut feeling. Last year I doubled my money, helped in part by a rising market but still doubling the TSE rate of increase. This year the overall market rise isn't as dramatic, but I'm still ahead of it.

I also have some heavy investment in Linamar, Martinrea, and Azure Dynamics auto parts suppliers, bought mostly in spring through early summer 2009 when they were down in the dumps during the recent mini-recession. Their current market value is more than double what I paid for them 1-1/2 years ago, and I'm expecting another 25% increase or more by next summer.

Why I would want to tie up that capital in low-interest more secure and liquid assets to self-insure is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    No newsletter. How do you put gut feelings in print?

I actively day-trade high volume big-6 Canadian banks stocks on price spikes and troughs throughout the day, based mainly on momentum and gut feeling. Last year I doubled my money, helped in part by a rising market but still doubling the TSE rate of increase. This year the overall market rise isn't as dramatic, but I'm still ahead of it.

I also have some heavy investment in Linamar, Martinrea, and Azure Dynamics auto parts suppliers, bought mostly in spring through early summer 2009 when they were down in the dumps during the recent mini-recession. Their current market value is more than double what I paid for them 1-1/2 years ago, and I'm expecting another 25% increase or more by next summer.

Why I would want to tie up that capital in low-interest more secure and liquid assets to self-insure is beyond me.
    You seen these guys? You can setup your own account -and people can mirror your trades - the more subscribers you get the more $ you make. Interesting, although I'm more of a de-risked value investor myself.
    http://site.covestor.com/share
    _/\_/\ . ÷ z z z Z ZZ
    ,,,-_-,,,

Bring everything you need and nothing you don't.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Biggsy View Post
    You seen these guys? You can setup your own account -and people can mirror your trades - the more subscribers you get the more $ you make. Interesting, although I'm more of a de-risked value investor myself.
    http://site.covestor.com/share
    Interesting idea. At first glance I didn't see much for Canadian market investors though. That, and they eventually want you to pay for the service.

Unless you want to maintain a US dollar trading account (and get burned by the falling USD), trading in American securities carries the substantial burden of currency exchange fees both buying into and selling out of a stock. My day-trading capitalizes on multiple trades garnering just 1/2% to 1% or 2% gain at a time, sometimes several times a day, and currency exchange fees would eat those incremental gains up and leave me nothing for my trouble.