fairing issue

Thread: fairing issue

fairing issue

so this winter i am going to do some work and have it all pretty for next summer coming up, i found a good price for a full set of farings but its --fiberglass correct me if i am wrong but oem fairings for the bike is ABS? (kawi zx6r 07)

is there really a diffrence? i found the fiberglass ready to go white primed full set for a awsome price i am just not sure if there is a issue with FB i was hoping some of the guys on the forums can help me out regarding this issue and if its worth it or not? , thanks alot guys

Re: fairing issue

personally, I'd go with fiberglass, OEM fairings are a ***** to repair and don't have the flexibility fiberglass has.

hmm you see? i thought it was the other way around if thats the case thats good! , do u kno if there is a problem painting on fb?

Very few aftermarket flarings will fit as well as OEM.

OEM paint is far superior compared to any aftermarket paint.

I'd go with abs plastic.

ahhhh fairing repair on OEM isn't hard at all, you just need $60 in tools. (see signiture).
    I can't comment on fiberglass vs ABS, I've worked with both and they're both different. like saying what is better, mac or pc. depends on you.
    I prefer fiberglass for building from scratch, but if all you have is a nick, scratch, dent, broken off bit, ABS will be easier to fix than fiberglass.

really, paint is your issue here. you're going to paint yourself or ge tit done? if you DIY and don't do a PERFECT job, it WILL show, and it's zx6, not a beater bike. if you have it done, it'll be what, 500-800? I ahve no clue but I wouldn't be shocked if it was more. so white fiberglass may not be cheap.

alternatively, have you checked ebay for made in china ABS fairing sets? many times they go for pretty cheap (only looked into cbr600 sets) and I'm sure they're a direct mold of the OEM.

good luck either way you go
    Engine size is compensation for tiny odometers. // You either drag knee in -3 or pose in 20.
    2001 ex500 420+ km on a single tank. Mods: Digital Speedomoter / Corbin Seat / Works Performance Shock / braided brake lines / fake pezzo levers / integrated mirror+turn signals / gps power cord + ram mount / heated grips. / Heat troller for winter gear Fairing repair tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    Very few aftermarket flarings will fit as well as OEM.

OEM paint is far superior compared to any aftermarket paint.

I'd go with abs plastic.
    +1

That is, of course, unless you're willing to pay for very expensive after market plastics that are well, superior to the others. There are lots of brands out there. I've heard good (and bad) things about Auctmarts, for example.

+++++++

fyrebug, I've chatted with you on ex-500.com. Why did I think you were a chick as well? I'm am le confused.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcat View Post
    fyrebug, I've chatted with you on ex-500.com. Why did I think you were a chick as well? I'm am le confused.
    It's because I'm so sensitive. ;p

I don't like having a pic right now but I also don't like how faceless the net is. I feel if we here at GTA had some sort of feeling of a human connection on the other end we might be a tad more polite to eachother. I am crazy though.
    Engine size is compensation for tiny odometers. // You either drag knee in -3 or pose in 20.
    2001 ex500 420+ km on a single tank. Mods: Digital Speedomoter / Corbin Seat / Works Performance Shock / braided brake lines / fake pezzo levers / integrated mirror+turn signals / gps power cord + ram mount / heated grips. / Heat troller for winter gear Fairing repair tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by fyrebug View Post
    It's because I'm so sensitive. ;p

I don't like having a pic right now but I also don't like how faceless the net is. I feel if we here at GTA had some sort of feeling of a human connection on the other end we might be a tad more polite to eachother. I am crazy though.
    Ok, so are you the woman from ex-500.com? LOL!

Are you coming out to the Motorcycle Show in December? A group of us are going, you're welcome to join us.

Sorry to threadjack, OP!

Quote Originally Posted by stormcat View Post
    Ok, so are you the woman from ex-500.com? LOL!

Are you coming out to the Motorcycle Show in December? A group of us are going, you're welcome to join us.

Sorry to threadjack, OP!
    Thanks! I'll find you then! after all, us women riders have to stick together.... but only if you roll in on your old ex500 ha!

to the OP: to make up for our thread jack

Have you looked into ebay items like this?
    $460 after shipping for fully painted ABS.
    search zx6r fairing sets you'll get a rainbow of colours. better than OEM? NO.

but what were the fiberglass going to cost + 500-800 paint? plus another 100 if you wanted OEM style stickers...
    unless it's track and you were gonna spray bomb it it was gonna cost more to have it painted than these cost fully complete

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Kawasaki-ZX-6R-ZX...item20b520d661

hey man thanks for the response and help basicly a guys i selling oem fiberglass full set for 300$?(23 peice 07zx6r) i mean its a good price but from what i been reading the stress on the fb will cause spiderweb paint effect spread so i am not sure i am contemplating what to do here. the fb apprently all holes line up and white primed already so its ready to go

i might just bite the bullet and do the abs oem it will save me in the long run it seems i am going to check out ebay tho thanks for the link man!!

painted abs = $450
    unpainted abs = $200+ 500 paint + 100 decals = $800
    unpainted fiberglass = $300 + 500 paint + 100 decals = $900

you didn't say what your plan with paint was, but if you're getting someone to do it 500 is me being 'optimistic'.
    if you do it yourself, different case. but if you grab colorrite OEM paint it's still gonna be about $200 for paint. do you have a compressor? or is this just a hack job with a spray can? (I've seen some good hack jobs mind you, but usually not...)

well i got some fair amount of work i mean the ride side of the bike isnt too pretty brakemounts broke off and peg so ill do that my self the rest is going to be custom painted..looking at the porche polish grey metal color too go with the red rims we will see i have this whole winter cant wait tho