Cheapo ($50) Stereo bluetooh headset and intercom review (deal extreme) - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheapo ($50) Stereo bluetooh headset and intercom review (deal extreme)

Re: Cheapo ($50) Stereo bluetooh headset and intercom review (deal extreme)

Thanks for the product review OP. Just ordered a pair for myself and the gf. Hopefully the install is straightforward!

For the poster who purchased from ebay, how fast did it ship and how are you finding quality?
    Should I deal with ebay or Dealextreme.com?

i agree with pretty much everything in the review. I have a couple more issues to add: the way that the unit attaches to the helmet clip was a little loose. i ended up using some strong velcro to secure it (you can pick it up at crappy tire). It also auto answers phone calls. after a couple rings--you have to press a button to ignore incoming call. Maybe that's a positive for some.

ebay US seller was a lot faster than deal extreme--under 2 weeks.

I think I mentioned the auto pickup of phone, maybe I didn't. I find that neither positive nor negetive. I think it depends who's calling.

as for ebay vs deal extreme, the only caution I'd have is that even deal extreme has 2 versions that look the same but are not. if you buy off ebay, I can't say if you'll get the same unit as I reviewed. so that's your risk. (no complaining afterwords if its from elsewhere and doesn't live up to the review) multiple units use the same outer plastic but have different features or circuitry.

but dx is damn slow so if you're going to buy from them, sooner the better.
    Engine size is compensation for tiny odometers. // You either drag knee in -3 or pose in 20.
    2001 ex500 420+ km on a single tank. Mods: Digital Speedomoter / Corbin Seat / Works Performance Shock / braided brake lines / fake pezzo levers / integrated mirror+turn signals / gps power cord + ram mount / heated grips. / Heat troller for winter gear Fairing repair tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by fyrebug View Post
    but dx is damn slow so if you're going to buy from them, sooner the better.
    deals extreme left me hanging, claimed immediate shipping and a month later they hadn't shipped because there was no stock and no sign of stock. i had to file a paypal dispute to get my $$$.
    x

X ---- > I'm Not here, But I'm there ---> X

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    deals extreme left me hanging, claimed immediate shipping and a month later they hadn't shipped because there was no stock and no sign of stock. i had to file a paypal dispute to get my $$$.
    Yeah...DX is known for that type of crap...

If I don't get it in 1 month...I would just file a complaint with paypal.

how is the sound on those type of headphones though? does it sound the same as if u were wearing earbuds inside ur ears?

Nice find, I jut ordered the set of two. Thanks man the cheapest ones i had seen where 400.
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

Quote Originally Posted by Rina View Post
    how is the sound on those type of headphones though? does it sound the same as if u were wearing earbuds inside ur ears?
    sound is not as good as earbuds, but you're riding so there's tons of background noise for the environment. not really sure how it could ever sound the same if there are outside sources affecting it. sound quality is tinny as I mentioned but you can't notice over everything.
    volume is fine for wearing earplugs and still listening to music or communicating on the highway though.

also, it uses a 2.5mm plug, so you could find replacement earphones if you wanted and plug them in. I'd rather here other cars though.
    Engine size is compensation for tiny odometers. // You either drag knee in -3 or pose in 20.
    2001 ex500 420+ km on a single tank. Mods: Digital Speedomoter / Corbin Seat / Works Performance Shock / braided brake lines / fake pezzo levers / integrated mirror+turn signals / gps power cord + ram mount / heated grips. / Heat troller for winter gear Fairing repair tutorial

Ok so a little feedback on my experience and maybe some suggestions for improvements by those who are using this system.
    I installed the unit to my helmet and attached the speakers behind my foam padding in the helmet, to be frank the sound really sucks and I didn't even have my bike running. If turned up too much it just distorts and when I checked my voice mail I could barely hear the voice prompts and message.

Are there any suggestions for other installation methods. It seems the only way to attach the speakers that come with the unit is by the 3M stickers on the back of the velcro. Did I read others just stuck that under the chin pads somewhere? Any suggestions would be appreciated as the way the installations recommends is not really worth it personally speaking. Was hoping not to have to buy replacement speakers but if so any recommendations for better quality.

Oh Im using an iphone for my bluetooth phone and mp3 player combined.

thanks.

I thought people were using earbuds with these.

It probably wont help you if you don't want to mess around with it, but I'd buy a telephone headset, cut the speakers out, and trim the cable.

I keep thinking about these, But I just don't ride with anyone regularly.
    Mark H.
    06 ZX-14

Quote Originally Posted by HunGJaI View Post
    Yeah...DX is known for that type of crap...

If I don't get it in 1 month...I would just file a complaint with paypal.
    Finally received my headset from DX after ordering about 1 month ago. Shipping is damn slow but glad I got these in time for the riding season.

Same here... Ordered on 3/6/2011 and received yesterday.

Got a bunch of12V to USB adapted for about $2 each at the same time. Can't beat their prices!!

fyrebug:
    is there a way to listen to music then start a conversation with someone by taping the green button then going back to music? I always have to re-establish a link between my ipod and the unit to listen to music again. Unless I'm going something wrong?
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    fyrebug: [/B]is there a way to listen to music then start a conversation with someone by taping the green button then going back to music? I always have to re-establish a link between my ipod and the unit to listen to music again. Unless I'm going something wrong?
    Yes, just press the green button again it switches back to music. Atleast it did for me.

Quote Originally Posted by LiNK666 View Post
    Yes, just press the green button again it switches back to music. Atleast it did for me.
    hum... ok I'll try when I have a chance.

thanks
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

I've seen the post about how the main unit attaches to the side of the helmet, I was wondering if the cable is long enough so you don't have to attach to the helmet? Because of my helmet I can't attach it to the side (flip up with sliding visor). What I'd like to do is have it on the bike and just plug in. Think this is capable of it?
    2004 R1150RTP
    1998 Ducati 944

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirty View Post
    I thought people were using earbuds with these.

It probably wont help you if you don't want to mess around with it, but I'd buy a telephone headset, cut the speakers out, and trim the cable.

I keep thinking about these, But I just don't ride with anyone regularly.
    Thanks for the recommendations. The reason I bought this was so I didn't have to use earbuds anymore. I found them to be dangerous as I couldn't hear any background noise (had a close call with an ambulance on the 401 once) and the earbuds started to bug me on the longer rides.

The telephone speaker sounds like a good idea but I guess I'd have to go look for one of those at the dump because who really uses those anymore right? Also I'm no electrician.
    I was wondering if people actually just installed them on the bottom of their chin pads facing down or something, just unsure of how to stick the speakers to the padding? Any ideas?

Thumbs up Re: Cheapo ($50) Stereo bluetooh headset and intercom review (deal extreme)

Installation of the headset was pretty straight-forward on a shoei X-11 which has a removeable liner. Instructions were easy to follow. I took someone's suggestion to use double-sided velcro to keep the headset in place between the foam padding and shell since it felt a bit loose with just the clip.

Went for my first ride today and I had no issues with the sound; in fact, the volume and clarity was better than expected. I wear foam ear plugs when I ride and I had no problem hearing the other party while riding through the city and on the highway. My friend on the other line could hear me clearly as well. As OP had mentioned, the sound was slightly "tinny" but it's negligible with the bike running. I haven't used it to listen to music yet...

Overall, I'm happy with the product. It's functional and cost-effective vs. the other products available. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by atss2006 View Post
    I've seen the post about how the main unit attaches to the side of the helmet, I was wondering if the cable is long enough so you don't have to attach to the helmet? Because of my helmet I can't attach it to the side (flip up with sliding visor). What I'd like to do is have it on the bike and just plug in. Think this is capable of it?
    The provided cable won't be long enough for that. It's only long enough to plug into the unit attached to the side of the helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by atss2006 View Post
    You can get a 3.5mm extension cable and put the brains anywhere you want. Just make sure you get the 3 ring kind... not the normal 2 ring.

This will not work

You need this