Shopping in the USA / Declaring items

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopping in the USA / Declaring items

Shopping in the USA / Declaring items

Hey.. Was thinking about doing a little bit of cross-border shopping with the dollar being so strong. Never really done this before so I don't know exactly what's involved.

If i'm just going across for the day and while i'm over there, pick up a new fishing rod, some sunglasses, and the wife gets a pair of shoes and some clothes.. maybe 3-400$ total, what kind of taxes etc would I have to pay coming back across the border?

Not really interested in sneaking stuff across, so don't suggest it
    1975 Suzuki T500 - 2 Stroke 500 CC Twin

Re: Shopping in the USA / Declaring items

It's all outlined Here. And though they say it is simple, figuring out the dollar amount in advance doesn't look too simple to me.

The quick tips are;

Buy stuff made in Mexico or USA while there (NAFTA)
    Stay more than 48 hours ($400 of exempt goods)
    --
    Killing you and giving you good advice aren't mutually exclusive.

One more quick tip, shop where the state taxes are lower. Pennslyvannia has lower taxes than New York. We went shopping in Grove City PA last weekend and brought back about $450.00 in goods, (half what we could have brought back). Paid $0.00 in duty because we were away for 48 hours. BTW two cases of Coors Light in cans is $30.00 at Duty Free. It is getting harder to find a reasonable rate on a hotel as it gets closer to Black Friday and Christmas.

Malks
    1997 ST1100

Declare everything and have your receipts with you when crossing into Canada. Have your stuff neatly organized in the trunk in case the border guard asks you too open your trunk.

I always declare everything, even the gas that I purchased across the border. not worth being blacklisted in the system. More then one occasion I have been coming back with approx $200 worth of goods and the border guard asks for the receipts, opens my trunk and just lets me go without paying duty because I am honest about it.

Dont buy any booze, just not worth the duty and if you delcare tobacco or booze, you are paying duty on that 100%.

Being honest works. They let my family pass through with $300ish after only 6 hours there.
    Vivere est vincere

^^ Yup...Show em receipts and be honest about it....so far of the 3 or 4 trips i made for one day, not once did they ask me to go in and pay the tax on em...

last trip we only bought 80 bucks worth of stuff (and the new tires mounted on the rims....lol, we didnt mentioned those) he asked us to open the trunk, nothing there but the declared stuff, handed me the passports and said "have a nice day"

done.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Liner740 View Post
    ^^ Yup...Show em receipts and be honest about it....so far of the 3 or 4 trips i made for one day, not once did they ask me to go in and pay the tax on em...

last trip we only bought 80 bucks worth of stuff (and the new tires mounted on the rims....lol, we didnt mentioned those) he asked us to open the trunk, nothing there but the declared stuff, handed me the passports and said "have a nice day"

done.
    so you say be honest about it,
    then you post an example of how you lied....

no, whatever is in your car that is clearly just been bought....declare that. New tires on a car that cannot be determined when they were installed, as in which side of the border..come on...
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439

done.
    How are you being honest about it? your trying to cheat the system as well

no, whatever is in your car that is clearly just been bought....declare that. New tires on a car that cannot be determined when they were installed, as in which side of the border..come on...
    You clearly aren't being honest about it lol...your just trying to beat the tax man = dishonest
    Last edited by frekeyguy; 11-13-2010 at 07:35 PM.

The wife and I have been going over every weekend for the last year. We get $120-150 of groceries and gas up in a under 2 hour trip and have never been pulled in for duty, I've even started bring a 12pk of beer back(declared) and still get waved through. Normally we've only been charged duty when the wife brings back to many clothes . I order my tires for the bike from the US and drive over and get them. Even then, it's been 50/50 for having to pay taxes. My last set for the VFR I was over for less than 30 minutes and was waved through after declaring the $200 set of tires(BT021s).

They don't have to prove you bought them in the US, YOU have to prove you didn't.

Lie.

Every single time I've been honest and actually declared my purchases, I've been interrogated by customs. On my last trip to the US (Philly last spring), I lied through my teeth and they just nodded and let me through.

The taxman is out to screw me, so i wiggle and fight any way possible...

"He without sin cast the first stone"

None of you better be throwing anything my way, otherwise i'd be yelling "Hypocrisy"

Truth is, if they wanna give u a hard time at the border, they will. In that case you better prove that everything and anything in the car or bolted to the damn chassis wasnt bought there.....a suitcase full of receipts ought to do it.

If you have a brand new shopping bag that says Sears on it and you say you didnt buy anything, hes gonna give u crap just for insulting his intelligence. A couple crosses the border on a weekend for a few hours and comes back and says they didnt buy anything. What else did u do down there but shop?!

Last time i went down and picked up a frame i made a point of stopping and buying stuff just so i can present some receipts to the border guard...

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    How are you being honest about it? your trying to cheat the system as well

You clearly aren't being honest about it lol...your just trying to beat the tax man = dishonest

I've been over twice this week. I usually carry a small carry on suitcase in my car in case I need a change of clothes and want to freshen up. Sometimes I will buy clothes and put it in the suitcase and tell them that I was bring extra clothes just in case.

I brought my girlfriend over today and got her winter tires installed and drove back over. I only keep half my receipts because I only declare the big ticket items. As long as you say you spent less than $50 on a day trip, you should be fine.

We left at 6am this morning and got to the shops at 8am. We came back around 12pm and the line up to cross the board was at least 2-3kms long!!!! Good thing we left early.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by woobie View Post
    I order my tires for the bike from the US and drive over and get them. Even then, it's been 50/50 for having to pay taxes. My last set for the VFR I was over for less than 30 minutes and was waved through after declaring the $200 set of tires(BT021s).
    The last time I checked on the Canada Customs web-site motorcycle tires were duty-free; however, auto / truck tires are not. They would still be subject to the 13%HST, thanks again Dalton.

Malks
    1997 ST1100

The taxman is out to screw me, so i wiggle and fight any way possible...

"He without sin cast the first stone"

None of you better be throwing anything my way, otherwise i'd be yelling "Hypocrisy"

Truth is, if they wanna give u a hard time at the border, they will. In that case you better prove that everything and anything in the car or bolted to the damn chassis wasnt bought there.....a suitcase full of receipts ought to do it.

If you have a brand new shopping bag that says Sears on it and you say you didnt buy anything, hes gonna give u crap just for insulting his intelligence. A couple crosses the border on a weekend for a few hours and comes back and says they didnt buy anything. What else did u do down there but shop?!

Last time i went down and picked up a frame i made a point of stopping and buying stuff just so i can present some receipts to the border guard...
    it has nothing to do with casting the first stone...
    its called living with reality... i don't preach "BE HONEST" then lie and claim in honest....

Quote Originally Posted by Fingolfin View Post
    it has nothing to do with casting the first stone...
    its called living with reality... i don't preach "BE HONEST" then lie and claim in honest....
    you also apparently live with selective reading. I clearly said, be honest about the bought goods that are can clearly be identified as bought in USA. that is all...i never said be honest and declare everything and then go on to say how to hide items from the border guards.

Quote Originally Posted by Malks View Post
    The last time I checked on the Canada Customs web-site motorcycle tires were duty-free; however, auto / truck tires are not. They would still be subject to the 13%HST, thanks again Dalton.
    Sorry for not being clear, It was just the PST and GST on the tires . Still worth the trip though. Crossing over with an empty tank and filling up at smokin Joe's doesn't hurt either, BTW 5 cents/gallon discount if you pay cash. Filling up the wife's truck or even my car will pay for the trip.
    Last edited by woobie; 11-14-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Reasonable family purchases shouldn't be taxed at all. We supposedly live in a free market economy.

How can you be charged sales tax on something you didn't buy in the province or country!!!!!???? That's theft IMHO.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Deceiving the taxman is perfectly fine as long as you are reasonable. At least that's what my accountant always says lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazon
    N3WMAN is my ride
    2006 ZX-6R PART OUT

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

Hey guys, I'm getting bicycle parts shipped to the US side of niagara falls, and I was wondering if I could just go over with a throwaway bike on a bicycle rack, pick up the parts/assemble the other bike, then bring that one back? I could also tell them that I'm just riding around niagara falls. Would I get away with it? Or should I just declare it? It's gonna be a couple hundred in tax, so I'd obviously rather try to avoid it.

TIA