M2 as G1

Thread: M2 as G1

M2 as G1

Quick question:

M2 allows you to drive a car under G1 restrictions correct?

If I received my G1 in December of 2005 (nearly 5 years ago), and I received my M2 November of 2007, will my G1 expire next month, or not for another 2 years?

Hope to have this solved this week so I can make the necessary arrangements. Thanks in advance for the help

Re: M2 as G1

not sure about the expiry thing, but no, having an m2 does not let you drive a car under the g1 restrictions, that only works if you have your M.. if you have your M you can drive a car under the same restrictions as if you have a G1
    sorry

Ariceff, you are incorrect.

"Note: Class M2 and Class M licence holders may also drive Class G vehicles under the conditions that apply to a Class G1 licence holder."
    http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/gradu/

Adri, I don't think the expiry date of your G1 extends because you have your M2 if your intention is to go through the graduated licencing process for G-class vehicles. All it means is that as long as you have your M2 or your M you may drive a G-class vehicle under the restrictions of a G1 licence.

Call the mto to get the final answer, but I'd be booking a G1 exit test if I was you.

Crap. Better get on that ASAP.
    As an update, I tried going to the local drivers vehicle licensing where I transfer ownerships and get plates from. They said they didn't know either and contact the MTO.

really... is that a recent change? last i heard it was what i had previously posted, i never knew that M2 holders could also drive as a G1 im pretty sure it says in the drivers handbook that i have even... eh whatever, ill follow what the mto website says over what i thought i remembered

It's been that way ever since they introduced graduated licensing to the best of my knowledge
    VN9008CF - Candy Lime Green.

a cage?! why?? Don't do it!
    2 SNOW TIRES!
    Engine size is compensation for tiny odometers. // You either drag knee in -3 or pose in 20.
    2001 ex500 420+ km on a single tank. Mods: Digital Speedomoter / Corbin Seat / Works Performance Shock / braided brake lines / fake pezzo levers / integrated mirror+turn signals / gps power cord + ram mount / heated grips. / Heat troller for winter gear Fairing repair tutorial

just go in when your g1 expires and ask them to update it
    i went in with an m2 and came out with a g1m2 after taking no test

Spoke to the ministry today.

After some double checking they told me I would be able to drive under G1 restrictions at any time after my G1 expires as long as my M2 or M is still valid.

I would also be able to book a G1 exit on any available day even if my G1 were expired and (assuming I pass), drive with a G2 the next day.

Thanks everyone.