CB 750 as a Starter Bike??? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CB 750 as a Starter Bike???

Re: CB 750 as a Starter Bike???

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    Best to go with a modern classic single if you want to get an old bike.

A friend has a CB750K and has dumped about $10,000 into it over the years.

I believe he had it appraised at around $4,000

Some parts of the bike can be hard to get. Honda is good, but 30-40 year old parts are getting rarer.
    either we both know J, or this is a common scenerio.
    I'm betting it's very common becuase I think my buddy is now pushing 14k.

ex500 needs wrenching to tweak it, but it'll run without it. best of both worlds IMHO.
    Engine size is compensation for tiny odometers. // You either drag knee in -3 or pose in 20.
    2001 ex500 420+ km on a single tank. Mods: Digital Speedomoter / Corbin Seat / Works Performance Shock / braided brake lines / fake pezzo levers / integrated mirror+turn signals / gps power cord + ram mount / heated grips. / Heat troller for winter gear Fairing repair tutorial

I will add my no to the group for all the reasons stated. I will also second Mroberto's post. Something in an 80's XS or GS400/450 or the like are perfect starter bikes. Cheap to buy and easy to fix ( lots of parts still available), llight and low powered ( but spunky enough) and cheaper to insure. If you look after it you will always get your money back as they are sought after starters.

I started with one as did my buddy. For us it was a one season bike but was a tremendous tool for learning ( riding and wrenching). As others have stated the "vintage" bikes need much more hands on and more cash to keep going perhaps. Wrenching is a fine hobby and many of us do it and i believe if you own any m/c you should know how to keep it going and how to fix it when it breaks. Nothing worse than riding 50 miles from home and it dies on you.

The old bikes are not for everyone but they could be for you but I'd suggest you start with something newer, you'll get more riding in and you'll likely be less frustrated.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
    Spyug
    "Slowest beasts are always strongest and manage to live the longest"
    "If it's no Scottish.......it's crap!"
    "Ama lyin?"

1983 GS750E Black Booty
    1982 GS750 SZ Katana Wee Beastie II
    1983 GS550E Basket Case from Hell

there's a gs400 on kijiji for $500 that needs to be put back together, or a fully assembled for 1200. seems like good deals either way.

one more thing to mention. if you can't wrench yourself and don't care becuase your pocket is thick, care. my friend I've mentioned lost his cb750 for 2 months this summer waiting for work to be done. if you're really set on the 750, buy it, but buy another bike to actually ride.
    Engine size is compensation for tiny odometers. // You either drag knee in -3 or pose in 20.
    2001 ex500 420+ km on a single tank. Mods: Digital Speedomoter / Corbin Seat / Works Performance Shock / braided brake lines / fake pezzo levers / integrated mirror+turn signals / gps power cord + ram mount / heated grips. / Heat troller for winter gear Fairing repair tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by gilligan View Post
    Attachment 22881this was my first bike..its a "slightly" modified 1974 cb 750.. it was scary as hell to learn on but tons of fun!!!
    But I've seen your wrenching abilities, did you learn before or after getting this bike?

BTW, your wrenching is pretty damn resourseful!! RFS...

Appreciate all the feedback guys, really. I've decided to start off with a cbr f4i, about 8-9 years old. Under 4 grand, cheaper on insurance than a 600 ss, and comfy for longer rides.

You made the right decision.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

For what it's worth....
    I have a 78 cb750 in my garage, it was a "basket case" when I got her and put alot of time and effort into getting her running, had a hell of a good time doing it too! I've been ridin over 30 years and like projects. As a first bike though... if it's in great running shape and has been looked after, why not? Back in the day it was a monster bike that rivaled Harleys for beefenest! They would also put a glass of water on the seat to show how smooth the engine was! Some of us learned ridin on these antiquaited, heavy, hard to handle machines and turned out all right, go figure. Parts are an issue, but e-bay can be a godsend!
    I like the idea of getting something newer as a first bike and maybe a project down the road.
    Cheers
    Aminal
    In the breeze

I'm currently re-assembling an '83 Nighthawk (CB750SC) basket case - I originally bought one as my first bike, in 1988 with 15k on it and rode it to 32k, over 4 years, without any real "wrenching" other than a couple of tires and timing chain adjustment. Very dependable bike.
    Parts seem fairly easy to get so far in the rebuild process too - many new parts are still available (mechanical & electrical) and there seem to be lots of salvage parts (bodywork etc.) in local yards.
    So maybe 4 or 5 years makes a big difference in terms of vintage.
    Tom, K-W
    1998 Kawi Voyager XII
    restoring 1983 Honda Nighthawk 750

Quote Originally Posted by Hachi-Roku View Post
    Reasons people have said NOT to get an old CB are Exactly the reasons you SHOULD get and old CB

Need lots of wrenching/maintenance?
    ....Good Then learn how to wrench
    Heavy compared to modern bikes?....Good then learn how to ride an heavy bike and RESPECT a heavy bike
    Underpowered compared to modern bikes?....It's Pretty self explanatory why this works in your favour
    Parts availability not as plentiful as a new bike?....Buaaahahahahahahaha
    Get an old CB/XS
    You won't regret it
    Agreed but think for a first bike unless you have mechanical know how... mind you TO has a lot of people who can help. But I got an old bike TO learn all this ****. But shes not my first and shes a moody little ***** that gets mad when momma doesnt spank her in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Aminal View Post
    For what it's worth....
    I have a 78 cb750 in my garage, it was a "basket case" when I got her and put alot of time and effort into getting her running, had a hell of a good time doing it too! I've been ridin over 30 years and like projects. As a first bike though... if it's in great running shape and has been looked after, why not? Back in the day it was a monster bike that rivaled Harleys for beefenest! They would also put a glass of water on the seat to show how smooth the engine was! Some of us learned ridin on these antiquaited, heavy, hard to handle machines and turned out all right, go figure. Parts are an issue, but e-bay can be a godsend!
    I like the idea of getting something newer as a first bike and maybe a project down the road.
    Cheers
    Aminal
    I stand behind Aminal 100000% with his answer. And also whos to say you cant handle a 750. Gilligan started on a 750 and hell I started on a 650. But up to you to judge what you are comfortable with
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by RoadSailor View Post
    I'm currently re-assembling an '83 Nighthawk (CB750SC) basket case.....So maybe 4 or 5 years makes a big difference in terms of vintage.
    83 is a different bike then a mid to late 70's. They changed the engine and updated the electrical.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

I started on a '77 CB750, and I can say that it was a great starter bike. The bike is solid, and dead simple to work on. There's a lot of these still around, and you can still get parts quite easily. This type of bike will teach you a little respect and history. Very reliable, comfortable, and cool. I've had mine for 18 years, and I can still ride it hard without any worries.

Quote Originally Posted by SBL View Post
    But I've seen your wrenching abilities, did you learn before or after getting this bike?

BTW, your wrenching is pretty damn resourseful!! RFS...
    haha,thanks.. i was actually pretty blind to bikes when i was given my chopper. my uncle gave me a frame,an engine, some loooong *** forks and about 3 boxes of parts. i did have alot of help from friends and learned as i went.

Quote Originally Posted by Machine View Post
    I started on a '77 CB750, and I can say that it was a great starter bike. The bike is solid, and dead simple to work on. There's a lot of these still around, and you can still get parts quite easily. This type of bike will teach you a little respect and history. Very reliable, comfortable, and cool. I've had mine for 18 years, and I can still ride it hard without any worries.
    This is all good to hear. Thanks for saying it Machine.
    I was begining to think I was nuts to put an '83 Honda back on the road in any serious way.
    These older bikes are always a cool thing to see out on the road, or at the coffee shop, still running and still shiny - so keep on ridin' it!
    Tom, K-W
    1998 Kawi Voyager XII

Its not that there is anything wrong with older bikes, hell I think one of the best ways to learn about bikes is to buy a basket case and restore it from the frame up. Its just that an older bike will need maintenance, maybe alot. As a first bike a new rider should be focusing on learning how to ride, without having to worry about the bike so much.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    Its not that there is anything wrong with older bikes, hell I think one of the best ways to learn about bikes is to buy a basket case and restore it from the frame up. Its just that an older bike will need maintenance, maybe alot. As a first bike a new rider should be focusing on learning how to ride, without having to worry about the bike so much.
    Point taken skip. I agree.
    The first bike should be about building up riding experience, confidence and skills.
    (I was just mooning about old bikes. Midlife crisis . . .)
    Tom, K-W
    1998 Kawi Voyager XII

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    getting a vintage bike for a first bike = bad idea. Getting vintage bike after owning one or two and learning how they work = good idea.

+1. And x 1000 if that "vintage" bike is an old imported motorcycle that was never sold in the North American market (ie.. CBR250RR/ZX-250R/NSR250/TZR250 etc)

That said, I have serious respect for any bike built before the 90's and still street ridden. My heart lies with the early and late 80's sport and superbikes. Its when they came into their own age and I cannot get over them.
    Last edited by Syphen; 11-15-2010 at 11:14 PM.

2001 CBR600F4i
    1992 CBR250RR