CB 750 as a Starter Bike???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CB 750 as a Starter Bike???

CB 750 as a Starter Bike???

I am looking for a starter bike and like the price point for the CB750, 1970s. Is this a good idea?

Re: CB 750 as a Starter Bike???

No.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

I'd have a look at something newer.

Reciprocity, is there a handling or power issue with the Honda CB750?

Apexhugger was on the M1Exit I taught this past weekend, and on a parking lot, he's a competent rider, over six foot and over 200 lbs.

I'd have recommended a Bandit 650, SV650, FZ6 or similar as his start bike, so I think he's got good control, but I've no idea of the handling characteristics of that old a bike.

What would it be like for maint and insurance?

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Quote Originally Posted by apexhugger View Post
    I am looking for a starter bike and like the price point for the CB750, 1970s. Is this a good idea?
    If you don't mind the extra wrenching/maintenance required for a 30+ year-old motorcycle. Parts availabilty wont be as good as for newer product.

The first bike I bought was a 1980 Suzuki GS750E (old "standard", pretty similar to the Honda CB's), and it wasn't bad for learning on, as the power was pretty tame by todays standards. I think my current DL650 has about as much horsepower as the old 750 did...
    o~`o
    VSRI #1930
    The most common problem with motorcycles is the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

No.

Heavy, not great handling, and requires wrenching. If you don't know how to adjust points or even know what points are avoid the older bikes.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

Finding one in decent condition isn't going to be as cheap as you like. It'd be a better idea for vintage bike enthusiasts who don't mind spending time and money wrenching the thing. You could easily find something newer, lighter, and at a decent price.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

Go for it.

Silly responses not backing up why they are saying what they are saying.
    Vivere est vincere

starter bikes should (in my mind) be cheap to fix/maintain and idiot proof.
    I've got a buddy with a cb750. it's been none of those things and he's spent a lot of money on it.
    Engine size is compensation for tiny odometers. // You either drag knee in -3 or pose in 20.
    2001 ex500 420+ km on a single tank. Mods: Digital Speedomoter / Corbin Seat / Works Performance Shock / braided brake lines / fake pezzo levers / integrated mirror+turn signals / gps power cord + ram mount / heated grips. / Heat troller for winter gear Fairing repair tutorial

I think they were backed up, most of them. Its not a easy bike to maintain. If you can wrench on older bikes great, if no it will be a horrid experience from the start or expensive or both. Not many new riders know how to change or set points or what a timing light even is. You will have to do that for a late 70's cb750. not to mention the wet weight is rather alot for a new rider to pick up after they drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    I'd have a look at something newer.
    I'd have recommended a Bandit 650, SV650, FZ6 or similar as his start bike, so I think he's got good control, but I've no idea of the handling characteristics of that old a bike. What would it be like for maint and insurance?
    As others have said, unless your old school wrench is good or you have some one that can, could be an issue. Something newer would be a better choice.
    Bandit 650, SV 650 run about 80-85 Hp, an FZ6 runs 98 Hp, where as an old school CB750 is about 43-45 Hp, the same as the new Kawi 400.
    Parts may be an issue and some insurance companys do not insure bikes older than 20 years.
    *Disclaimer: This is just my $.02 and the info is not fact, just off the top of my head.*

Quote Originally Posted by Kokla View Post
    Go for it.

Silly responses not backing up why they are saying what they are saying.
    I've explained so many times to people why a vintage bike for a first bike is a bad idea that I've run out of breath so I just flat out say no. Doesn't always work.

It's a good starter bike if you're also learning how to fix a cb750!

My first bike at the beginning of '09 was a 1980 cb650, and I'm still riding it and loving it. I did have to take the motor out last winter to replace the starter clutch, which I can imagine might not even be a worthwhile repair if you can't do it yourself.
    Last edited by joelsephstalin; 11-11-2010 at 01:12 AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1386302448_l.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	22881this was my first bike..its a "slightly" modified 1974 cb 750.. it was scary as hell to learn on but tons of fun!!!

Reasons people have said NOT to get an old CB are Exactly the reasons you SHOULD get and old CB

Need lots of wrenching/maintenance?
    ....Good Then learn how to wrench
    Heavy compared to modern bikes?....Good then learn how to ride an heavy bike and RESPECT a heavy bike
    Underpowered compared to modern bikes?....It's Pretty self explanatory why this works in your favour
    Parts availability not as plentiful as a new bike?....Buaaahahahahahahaha

Get an old CB/XS
    You won't regret it
    Last edited by Hachi-Roku; 11-11-2010 at 04:09 AM.
    KODMONKY When you're Happy and you know it...SMILE

Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    No.

Heavy, not great handling, and requires wrenching. If you don't know how to adjust points or even know what points are avoid the older bikes.
    Sorry but when did a CB750 come with Points?

Wait ..What are points?
    KODMONKY When you're Happy and you know it...SMILE

Quote Originally Posted by Hachi-Roku View Post
    Need lots of wrenching/maintenance?[/B] ....Good Then learn how to wrench
    Easier said than done. Check out the "lost interest in project" or "unable to complete" bikes on Craigslist or Kijiji. I'll reiterate: getting a vintage bike for a first bike = bad idea. Getting vintage bike after owning one or two and learning how they work = good idea.
    Last edited by RetroGrouch; 11-11-2010 at 07:37 AM.

Sorry but when did a CB750 come with Points?

Wait ..What are points?
    69-78, in 79 they changed the ignition system when they changed the engine from a sohc to a dohc iirc
    Last edited by skip; 11-11-2010 at 08:27 AM.

I would side with not a good starter bike. For your first season you really want to have something that you can just get on and ride, with as little maintenance and work as possible. It makes things a lot more fun and allows you to concentrate on riding, not wrenching. It really sucks on a nice day when you want to ride but can't because your bike is being temperamental.

Picking up an old bike and learning how to wrench on it and keep it happy is loads of fun but I'd wait until you have a season under your belt, and maybe have a second bike that is reliable.
    2005 Kawasaki z750s
    1980 Yamasaki ZXS650 "Lunatic Fringe"

Instructor for www.learningcurves.ca

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Best to go with a modern classic single if you want to get an old bike.

A friend has a CB750K and has dumped about $10,000 into it over the years.

I believe he had it appraised at around $4,000

Some parts of the bike can be hard to get. Honda is good, but 30-40 year old parts are getting rarer.

Reasons people have said NOT to get an old CB are Exactly the reasons you SHOULD get and old CB

Need lots of wrenching/maintenance?
    ....Good Then learn how to wrench
    Heavy compared to modern bikes?....Good then learn how to ride an heavy bike and RESPECT a heavy bike
    Underpowered compared to modern bikes?....It's Pretty self explanatory why this works in your favour
    Parts availability not as plentiful as a new bike?....Buaaahahahahahahaha

Get an old CB/XS
    You won't regret it
    I tend to agree somewhat with Hachi-Roku. My first bike was an 1980 XS400. It was light, easy to ride, and low on power. I didn't care when I dropped it trying to get it on the center stand and I learned a tonne about how bikes work (e.g. had to rebuild the starter clutch because some yahoo only installed 2 of the 3 rollers). It was air-cooled, and simple to maintain. I also learned to hate carburetors. And it was only $1k from Rosey Toes. Insurance for me was $700.

With that being said, I think a CB750 is a much larger, much heavier bike which will affect your confidence negatively. A heavier bike will be harder to learn on. I had a friend who bought an XS650 at the same time I bought my 400. It vibrated so much at idle that it would "walk" when left on the center stand. There are definitely some older bikes to stay away from but some that can make a good starter bike.
    Last edited by mroberto; 11-11-2010 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Added the second paragraph.