Why Android is better than iPhone. - Page 53

Page 53 of 96 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1908

Thread: Why Android is better than iPhone.

Can't wait to get one, soon.
    Simon Says "S T F U"

Waiting for that “Next Thing” means you’d never buy anything.
    **** @iPos3r

Re: Why Android is better than iPhone.

At such rates, Munster estimated Apple would hit a million iPad 2 sales considerably faster than last year, when it took 28 days to reach the benchmark. International sales will be starting much sooner, just two weeks after the US versus almost two months between original iPad introductions.
    NOMFuP, Not My ****ing Problem. - Malcom Tucker

The best of both worlds: Android-for-iPhone.

Jailbreaking the iphone removes the "Apple controls what we can and cannot do" argument.
    Most of my system apps and mods come from non-Apple-approved sources and I am super happy with the many things I can do with my phone that are specific to me.

Every single person uses their smartphones differently.

I have a friend who loves his Blackberry because he owns his own custom home theater business and most of his clients are business people. He can easily add them to BBM and they keep in contact that way and he keeps getting jobs/referrals from them.

I haven't played with Phone 7 yet because I don't like the idea of Windows being a few inches away from my nads.
    Also, I used to support their "Windows Mobile" series of platforms and they were horrible.
    Traumatized for life.
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/12/i...wervr-sgx543m/

Perhaps more interestingly for all you gamers in the audience, the iPad 2 reports that it has a dual-core PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU on the die as originally foretold -- and, spoiler alert -- it mops the floor with both the original iPad and the Motorola Xoom.

It looks like the DOOM is getting mollywopped not only from the ease of use, apps, and design standpoint. But now its getting crunched from the tech spec standpoint as well.

http://ca.gizmodo.com/5781376/ipad-2...-original-ipad

Developers with existing titles on the iPad could conceivably triple geometry complexity with no impact on performance on the iPad 2. [...] There's just no competition here.
    Last edited by Moreno636; 03-12-2011 at 08:20 PM.

People are real suckers for useless tech like Icrap 2. Like c'mon, whats the real purpose for that sh**. For the cost, a laptop would rock the sock's off this little useless screen that can only do so little. Watching Zeitgeist - Moving forward, this new generation of upgrading is just going crazy. Looking at cell phones (blackberries esp.) they upgrade to newer models with the most useless/tiniest changes. Yet where do they all endup? The waste after the user is "bored" of its outdated number of the product (blackberry 9000 vs 9800, etc). -_-

World really needs to smarten up in terms of development and only bring out stuff that's required and when the previous models resources are all exhausted. Elements that create these useless toys on this planet are limited and harder to get as we move forward, yet we don't really seem to care. Sad reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Jag_V4Ape View Post
    People are real suckers for useless tech like Icrap 2. Like c'mon, whats the real purpose for that sh**. For the cost, a laptop would rock the sock's off this little useless screen that can only do so little. Watching Zeitgeist - Moving forward, this new generation of upgrading is just going crazy. Looking at cell phones (blackberries esp.) they upgrade to newer models with the most useless/tiniest changes. Yet where do they all endup? The waste after the user is "bored" of its outdated number of the product (blackberry 9000 vs 9800, etc). -_-

World really needs to smarten up in terms of development and only bring out stuff that's required and when the previous models resources are all exhausted. Elements that create these useless toys on this planet are limited and harder to get as we move forward, yet we don't really seem to care. Sad reality.
    LOL....says the dude on a computer with a motorcycle.

I barely upgrade my PC and bike. So chill with your sarcasm. If I was one to buy a bike every year or every time I see a new model, than you have the right to comment. Till then stay in your box.

I barely upgrade my PC and bike. So chill with your sarcasm. If I was one to buy a bike every year or every time I see a new model, than you have the right to comment. Till then stay in your box.
    Why do you upgrade in the first place?? Whats the point in upgrading?

Oh please with this sanctimonious nonsense. Who are you to say why anybody should or shouldnt upgrade whatever they want? Who is anybody to say "the resources are exhausted"? What kind of nonsense is that, how do you know what the limits are or arent of what a device can do for somebody? Who are you to say that the changes are tiny and useless? The irony of citing a YOUTUBE video of all things for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moreno636 View Post
    What kind of nonsense is that, how do you know what the limits are or arent of what a device can do for somebody?
    Isn't that what you're doing every time you flaunt a technical advantage of an iThing? You're assuming people need whatever benefit comes along with each new Apple device. How do you know?
    There is no planet B.

Just because they're always developing new devices doesn't mean people have to buy them. But the manufacturers DO have to keep developing them in order to keep up with the competition.

Sure, ideally, people would only shop for a new device when they need it, but just because people buy the latest device to flatter their ego shouldn't be the manufacturer's fault.
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    Just because they're always developing new devices doesn't mean people have to buy them. But the manufacturers DO have to keep developing them in order to keep up with the competition.

Sure, ideally, people would only shop for a new device when they need it, but just because people buy the latest device to flatter their ego shouldn't be the manufacturer's fault.
    and some people need their ego's flattered.
    x

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    and some people need their ego's flattered.
    Sure, and I can live with that. It's just not 'ideal' as it produces unecessary waste.
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    Isn't that what you're doing every time you flaunt a technical advantage of an iThing? You're assuming people need whatever benefit comes along with each new Apple device. How do you know?
    No, I extol the vitrues, features and benefits of an iThing. I don't tell them what they should or shouldn't be buying based on some ludicrous moral value system.

"Microsoft plans to discontinue the Zune, their answer to the Apple iPod, according to Bloomberg.

Microsoft Corp. will stop introducing new versions of the Zune music and video player because of tepid demand, letting the company shift its focus to other devices, according to a person familiar with the decision. Microsoft will concentrate on putting Zune software onto mobile phones, such as those running its Windows operating system, said the person, who declined to be identified because the decision hasn’t been announced.

Microsoft decline to comment on the matter saying, "We have nothing to announce about another Zune device -- but most recently have introduced Zune HD to Canada via the Zune Originals store and remain committed to supporting our devices in North America," the company said in an e-mailed statement. "We are thrilled by the consumer excitement for Zune across many new platforms, including Windows Phone 7 and Xbox 360. Our long-term strategy focuses on the strength of the entire Zune ecosystem across Microsoft platforms."

Nokia and Microsoft recently signed a milestone agreement that will see Windows Phone 7 used as the operating system for future Nokia smartphones. Perhaps Microsoft wisely wants to concentrate more of its mobile efforts on their new OS."
    Simon Says "S T F U"

**** @iPos3r

Another Scam app hits iTunes – Kenny’s Group
    The $20 Kenny’s Group app seems to be getting a lot of negative attention in the app store. In fact, every one of the reviews says that purchases are being made with their hacked accounts.

We’re assuming that customers’ accounts have been hacked by the developer to purchase this app for $20. Apple might want to pull it.

Simon Says "S T F U"

**** @iPos3r

Quote Originally Posted by Poser View Post
    Another Scam app hits iTunes – Kenny’s Group
    The $20 Kenny’s Group app seems to be getting a lot of negative attention in the app store. In fact, every one of the reviews says that purchases are being made with their hacked accounts.

We’re assuming that customers’ accounts have been hacked by the developer to purchase this app for $20. Apple might want to pull it.

This is some BULL! Apple needs to tighten the approval process if this is the kind of crap that is getting past the gates.

Simon Says "S T F U"

**** @iPos3r

http://kevinrose.com/blogg/2011/3/14...arthquake.html

---

Dear Alex L, David, & Kevin,

Hi this is XXXXX in Japan. As you all must have heard, the 5th largest earthquake in recorded history hit us on Friday, 2:30pm Japan Time. As Alex often says on TWiM, stories on the ground are often quite different from the stories in the news, and there is a tech story that I'd really like to tell: the story of Apple Inc in Japan.
    Full disclosure: I work at Apple at one of its stores in Japan. The earthquake hit while I was working on the first floor of one of their stores. As the entire building swayed, the staff calmly led people from the top 5 floors down to the first floor, and under the ridiculously strong wooden tables that hold up the display computers.
    7 hours and 118 aftershocks later, the store was still open. Why? Because with the phone and train lines down, taxis stopped, and millions of people stuck in the Tokyo shopping district scared, with no access to television, hundreds of people were swarming into Apple stores to watch the news on USTREAM and contact their families via Twitter, Facebook, and email. The young did it on their mobile devices, while the old clustered around the macs. There were even some Android users there. (There are almost no free wifi spots in Japan besides Apple stores, so even Android users often come to the stores.)
    You know how in disaster movies, people on the street gather around electronic shops that have TVs in the display windows so they can stay informed with what is going on? In this digital age, that's what the Tokyo Apple stores became. Staff brought out surge protectors and extension cords with 10s of iOS device adapters so people could charge their phones & pads and contact their loved ones. Even after we finally had to close 10pm, crowds of people huddled in front of our stores to use the wifi into the night, as it was still the only way to get access to the outside world.
    Anyway, I mention this not because I work at Apple now, or because I'm an admitted fanboy, but because I'm genuinely proud of the Apple Japan staff and their willingness to stay open to help people that day. And I'm also impressed with the way Apple's products (and yes, Google's, Twitter's, and Facebook's) helped them that day. Even after we had to close, many of the staff stayed outside the store to fixing iphones and teaching people how to contact family or stay informed via wifi.
    TWiM, TWiT and Rev3 have talked about the power of tech & the cloud during the recent global events, so I wanted to let you know of one more example during the Great Tohoku Earthquake in Japan.
    Sincerely,
    XXXXX
    Great Tohoku Earthquake Survivor 2011
    ----- UPDATE: -----

As of the writing of this, another nuclear plant just had an explosion so I will keep the 2nd half of the story as brief as possible as I may need to evacuate soon (weak smile).

A quick list of kind things Apple did after we closed:

1. Because the trains and phones were down, almost everyone who worked in Tokyo was stranded deep in the city. All the hotels were booked, the roads were jammed, so hundreds of people were instantly homeless. Apple told all of their staff - Retail AND Corporate - that they could go sleep at the Apple stores. The Senior managers at the stores had been notified earlier and unbeknownst to us, had gone out to stock up on food and drinks after the very first quake hit.

This was a godsend because by 11pm (118 aftershocks later) all food and drinks were sold out at every store within walking distance. And when I say walking distance, I mean 3-4 hours of walking distance. (Tokyo is a big city.)

Letting not just Retail but corporate staff sleep at the Apple stores was genius because:

1a. The corporate offices are in skyscrapers with over 50 flights of stairs. With all elevators in Japan shutdown, this was a nightmare.

1b. The Retail stores were the only areas where WE controlled the buildings, from top to bottom, so we could monitor, fix, and maintain the back-up power, networks, and heating ourselves.

1c. Ubiquitous wifi and Facetime devices gave us a lifeline to our families and the rest of the world. Facetime turned out to be MUCH more stable than Skype (And I'm a Skype fanboy!)

1d. With theater rooms and breakrooms designed for 150+ people, the Apple stores were the most comfortable places to be and to sleep. Much more comfortable than sleeping on the street on a cold March night.

2. Once staff let their families know that they were not only safe but how comfortable we were (break room refridgerators stocked with food and drink, etc), family members began asking if they could stay at the Apple stores as well. Of course Apple said yes. One business team member's stranded mother walked 3.5 hours to be with her daughter at the store. When she arrived, the Apple store staff gave her a standing ovation ("Warm Welcome") like they do for customers during a new launch.

3. The head of Apple International HR and of Japan Retail happened to be in Japan that week. Both came and spent the night with us in the stores and told everyone that if anyone wanted to try their luck getting home on their own, Apple would pay for any food, drink, or transportation fees that that person incurred on the way. "Your safety is most important."

If, on their way home the staff member realized they couldn't make it, but they found an open hotel, Apple would pay for it. Since many people lived 2-3 hours away, this ended up meaning 11 hour walks home, $300 taxi fares, and $800 hotel rooms (only the luxury hotels had vacancies). Executives from Cupertino and London Facetimed with us, letting us know not to worry, they supported us, and that they would write off on it all.

4. We continued to open our doors to stranded people on the street fixing iphones, selling battery packs, or simply teaching people how to get streaming news on their smart-phones until 3am in the morning.

And lastly, as I write this now 3 days later, even though the Japanese government says everything is fine, nuclear plants continue to explode. And we still haven't even gotten the 7pt aftershock that is predicted to come this week, nor the nuclear/acid rain that is predicted to fall within the next 3 days. I hate to say this, but things may only get worse before they get better.

I've been calling my girlfriend at work, asking her to come home, but because the Tokyo government hasn't said anything, her company won't let her leave. On the other hand, my manager at Apple called me to let me know that Apple will support any decision I make regarding leaving the country or the area, and that a job will still be waiting for me if I decide to come back.

That is why I am a fanboy. Ack! Sorry, that wasn't brief at all!

Thanks for reading!

XXXXX

good read yo ^^^^^

Steve Jobs sends message of support to Apple’s team in Japan

"To Our Team in Japan,
    We have all been following the unfolding disaster in Japan. Our hearts go out to you and your families, as well as all of your countrymen who have been touched by this tragedy.
    If you need time or resources to visit or care for your families, please see HR and we will help you. If you are aware of any supplies that are needed, please also tell HR and we will do what we can to arrange delivery.

Again, our hearts go out to you during this unimaginable crisis.
    Please stay safe.
    Steve and the entire Executive Team"

Last edited by Poser; 03-17-2011 at 11:12 PM.
    Simon Says "S T F U"

**** @iPos3r

Simon Says "S T F U"

**** @iPos3r