Grand Bend Road Course? - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grand Bend Road Course?

Re: Grand Bend Road Course?

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    Too bad it's 3hrs from T.O. that makes it a 2 day affair AFAIC.
    You should be able to make it in 2h-2h30m from downtown TO. I used to make the run all the time. I lived a block away from doozerdave.

This will be great for anyone is the area.
    Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+

Quote Originally Posted by tat2 View Post
    You should be able to make it in 2h-2h30m from downtown TO. I used to make the run all the time. I lived a block away from doozerdave.

This will be great for anyone is the area.
    Well, I'm thinking I might have to do an early morning thing just once next year just to try the track. Waking up at 4AM is generally not condusive to having a good time in my experience. Other than that, Grand Bend seems like a nice place to spend an evening so two days shouldn't be punishing if that's what I have to do.
    There is no planet B.

I'll be able to go up the night before and stay at my Mom's place
    -Dave
    2003 SV650S track bike, 2001 CBR929RR street bike

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    As for SOAR I always wanted SOAR to be a multi-track series and look forward to it. I still hope to negotiate dates at TMP as well as GBM and next year Ft.Erie. I live 10 minutes from Mosport and would love a date there as well.
    Has anyone considered the fact that track fees will be dramatically higher at a brand new multi-million (or billion?!?) dollar race track such as Ft. Erie? People think that track fees/school fees are too high at Calabogie; I can't see Ft. Erie being any cheaper...it won't be possible; at least not without organizers losing their shirts to be there. Hopefully Grand Bend can come to some sort of an arrangement with SOAR to help keep your racing rates down to that $120 range, as that is what everyone is used to paying now. But I think that racers need to keep in mind that usually with newer facilities comes a higher cost to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by bella_cycle View Post
    But I think that racers need to keep in mind that usually with newer facilities comes a higher cost to be there.
    I would pay it in a heart beat.... what's another 50$ tacked on the entrance fees in the grand scheme of things.... peanuts.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Constant radius turns and no elevation changes ... who designed this track?
    2007 GSX-R750 street
    2009 ZX-6R track

Has anyone considered the fact that track fees will be dramatically higher at a brand new multi-million (or billion?!?) dollar race track such as Ft. Erie? People think that track fees/school fees are too high at Calabogie; I can't see Ft. Erie being any cheaper...it won't be possible; at least not without organizers losing their shirts to be there. Hopefully Grand Bend can come to some sort of an arrangement with SOAR to help keep your racing rates down to that $120 range, as that is what everyone is used to paying now. But I think that racers need to keep in mind that usually with newer facilities comes a higher cost to be there.
    I figured 'bogie and Mosport were more expensive only because they required more workers. With all the blind corners and increased risk of being hurt, they need more flaggers and paramedics. Also, the people who run those tracks are a bit better organised, which usually means more staff.

I expect Grand Bend to cost somewhere between Shanny and TMP, but yeah, I'm making a lot of assumptions to get to that conclusion.
    There is no planet B.

People don't get into racing thinking it's going to be cheap.

Like Fastar, I'm thinking it will be somewhere between Shanny and TMP for the Grand Bend course.

Calabogie was built brand new, and is a huge track compared to others, thus the higher charges.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
    People don't get into racing thinking it's going to be cheap.

All evidence points to the contrary on this site!

shannonville is cheap if you're willing to sacrifice your wkdays.
    For sale, 2007 Aprilia SXV 450 Supermoto
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...prilia-sxv-450

I am not at liberty to discuss our negotiations with GB or Ft Erie etc. However the GB will be in line with other tracks spoke to the owner yesturday by phone and had an email minutes ago. Bogie isnt so bad its because its scaled to 60 riders that it costs more. We could race there if they ever step up and make it safer.
    Mosport is $20K rental but then add $8500 in haybales, that is if you can get a date, which is almost impossible. Just saw Tremblant its $40K for a two day weekend and a 92 db at 50 feet noise limit. But thats because the guy who owns it doesnt give a hoot if he ever rents it.
    Most people have no idea what putting on these events cost, I can tell you its freakin scary. That said more tracks means more dates and more competition so hopefully everyones costs are acceptable.

........its $300 and up to go watch the leafs loose ............. so really, how much "extra" could these tracks cost ......... besides, I would rather pay more and have less traffic on the track, 30-35 riders per session on S'ville or TMP is to busy, no fun and a bit dangerouse, but thats just me. BG

Quote Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
    Even at my slow pace.
    thats slow paced jeezz i know i couldnt do it...the straight looked fun though
    good job too those that can do it and enjoy doing it ( dragging the knee or close)

I myself am pretty excited about this.. I know the site is called GTAMotorcycle, but as you can see I live in London.... in the North end. 1 main road from Highway 4.... to be honest, I live close enough to the track that if I needed tools or parts I could make it home and back and only miss 2 or 3 sessions.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

I have a question for you Ken. You've mentioned that the track consists of 90% existing pavement.... what is the condition of this pavement? Is it rough, smooth, clean? How old is it? Our Canadian winters really take their toll on our pavement... so if it's been there for 20 years, I'm sure that would play a large roll in many cracks and damage to the surface.

What about seating for spectators? Shannonville has awesome seating, Cayuga has none... is this something GBM is considering?

Personally, as i live in London this is a god sent! I have had to drive 3.5-4 hours to shannonville every weekend since 2001! Toronto traffic doesn't make the commute any easier let me tell ya lol. I've been waiting for GBM to do this for year! My prays have been answered!

Thanks again to Ken for taking the lead on this with the track owner and giving insight to make this a fun and safe track for all of us!

Colin
    S.O.A.R. #28
    2008 Suzuki GSXR 750 Race Bike... all b!tched out
    VIEW MY GOPRO HD VIDEOS @ http://vimeo.com/channels/202716

Hey Colin,

The pavement is a mix of old WW2 runway and some access roads already there such as one of the drag return roads and the road leading to the MX course. Some of the new track will use the grid of roads for the camping area. So to answer the question some is very old and some not so much but its all getting a new top coat. In May it will be 100% new.
    The nice part about where they are doing it is that its almost all existing so there is very little bed work to do (as I understand it now its all been done) so its just wait until the frost leaves and lay the asphalt.
    As for seating there is nothing existing now I dont know where he is as far as bringing it in. There is no PA at the moment either for the road course. I would imagine that they will wait and see what kind of spectator turnout they will get before investing too much in the accessories. The nice part is that a spectator should be able to get to different areas to spectate but we will have to see what fencing and control is up.
    I didnt really take the lead here. I was contacted by the track owner and sent the plans for input in Sept. Being that I had never been I made the drive and met with him a month or so ago and got the tour. We made some simple suggestions for safe bike use and he was immediate in the changes to make it safe.
    I am looking forward to it as well. Even though I live on the east side of Toronto I will suck it up. Should be even better in 2012 when Ft Erie is up then there will be three tracks west of Toronto.

Thanks Ken!

I didn't realize that the existing sections were getting a fresh coat of black stuff! That's awesome!!! It's really impressive that the track owner is taking such an interest in this project... I'm sure it will turn out awesome! Makes sense for them to wait a season or so to judge how well the track does before investing handfuls of money into things like seating, PA, showers, etc.

Can't wait for this... if any of you haven't been to Grand Bend... well you're in for a treat! The beach and main strip in Grand Bend (3 minutes from the track) is absolutly awesome and a major summer destination for most Londoners (and all over our area). Think about at the end of each day of riding... you can drive a few mintues into town and jumping into Lake Huron!!! Now that's what I'm talking about! Plus all the resturants and bars will make boring evenings at the track a little more exciting!

CAN'T WAIT UNTIL 2011!!!!!!
    S.O.A.R. #28
    2008 Suzuki GSXR 750 Race Bike... all b!tched out
    VIEW MY GOPRO HD VIDEOS @ http://vimeo.com/channels/202716

i agree , i cant wait untill i can hit the water after a day on the track , im usually dying to do that , did that at bogie in the local lake it felt awesome , grand band is a good news for me and bunch of friends since we live in kitchener and its only 1 hr 20 min drive , riding the **** out of my bike,beach,lake huron, beer,good food , camping + more ...is whats going through my head right now......i cant wait ..........see you there

It would nice to get some dates up for Grand Bend so that people can arrange vacation times or days off... maybe book a cottage for the family around a race weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by R1Guy View Post
    It would nice to get some dates up for Grand Bend so that people can arrange vacation times or days off... maybe book a cottage for the family around a race weekend.
    Email Fawaz at Racer 5 the dates are already set. They were booking trackdays at the London show. I dont have the date sheet but i know Fawaz does.