Ninja vs new Honda CBR250R !! - Page 3

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ninja vs new Honda CBR250R !!

Re: Ninja vs new Honda CBR250R !!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRonin View Post
    I just rode home its 2 degrees, feels like -2 on my Kawi 250r...no standing around no praying. my bike was parked for over 5 hours so not like it was still warm. Quit hating, I'm sure you'd ride the Honda over the Kawi but what if you had to own it?? It looks like sh*t like you pointed out.
    My littlest ninja also starts right away in the cold. It only ever experienced startup problems when it had the wrong oil (weight). It's a champ in the cold!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRonin View Post
    I just rode home its 2 degrees, feels like -2 on my Kawi 250r...no standing around no praying. my bike was parked for over 5 hours so not like it was still warm. Quit hating, I'm sure you'd ride the Honda over the Kawi but what if you had to own it?? It looks like sh*t like you pointed out.
    you cannot deny that a factory kawi 250 is jetted very lean from factory. and a quick hit on google and you find a lot of people having problems. so no, i wouldnt prefer to own the kawi. mechanical reliability would trump plastics for me. i like fuel injection. i can grab a different set of plastics off of anywhere. aftermarket pipes can be fitted... and it would be cheaper than trying out some kind of fuel injection conversion on the kawi.
    2008 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2009 Triumph Street Triple
    2007 Yamaha YZF-R6
    2004 Yamaha YZ-125
    2002 Yamaha TTR-225
    2001 Yamaha TTR-125L

Quote Originally Posted by insert View Post
    you cannot deny that a factory kawi 250 is jetted very lean from factory. and a quick hit on google and you find a lot of people having problems. so no, i wouldnt prefer to own the kawi. mechanical reliability would trump plastics for me. i like fuel injection. i can grab a different set of plastics off of anywhere. aftermarket pipes can be fitted... and it would be cheaper than trying out some kind of fuel injection conversion on the kawi.
    I priced out an EFI conversion for the kawi 250 last year. It worked out to about $300 all said and done. And that's oem kawi. Please show me where you will get a headlight, bodywork and exhaust for under $300.

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle72 View Post
    I priced out an EFI conversion for the kawi 250 last year. It worked out to about $300 all said and done. And that's oem kawi. Please show me where you will get a headlight, bodywork and exhaust for under $300.
    then kawi should just make the damn thing stock for ****s sake... its about time.... they've been running the same system since the 80s
    2008 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2009 Triumph Street Triple
    2007 Yamaha YZF-R6
    2004 Yamaha YZ-125
    2002 Yamaha TTR-225
    2001 Yamaha TTR-125L

No reason to be afraid of carbs. Yes, the Ninja 250's are jetted really lean from the factory but it only takes an hour to shim the needles and fix that. FI is nice, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker when considering a bike.

I have read/heard several times that European Ninja 250's that have FI actually make less power than the North American models. Also, the Honda is claimed to make 26hp which is quite a bit less than the ~33-35hp that the little Ninja makes, 7-9hp is quite a big difference on a bike that small.
    2005 Kawasaki z750s
    1980 Yamasaki ZXS650 "Lunatic Fringe"

Instructor for www.learningcurves.ca

Quote Originally Posted by fyrebug View Post
    like... acceleration?
    were you being sarcastic?
    Yes and no. Just because you were mentioning the differences between 600cc ss and 1000cc ss bike ..... and all that considered for street riding, right?

Can you pls share how exactly would you make carbed Ninja EFIed for 300 bucks? I am very interested, I am sure some other people as well. Sounds too good to be true ....

I dunno but I for one think the bike looks just fine. I'm not sure why all the haterade on it's look but I guess to each his own. Having said that, I am still aiming to buy an EX-500 for next season.

Why is that hard to believe?
    the cbr 600rr goes (from what I've read) about 240km/h top speed stock
    the 1000rr gets to about 280km/h stock.
    so for that extra 400cc you get +40km/h

clearly though there's more advantages than just top speed when dealing with larger engines.
    Those vids were used as proof that the 250 would go 175. However, an indicated 175 is most likely 165 actual. That 250 won't go 175 unless it's down a mountain with a tail wind.

Regarding your other comments, yes bigger bikes go faster.

Quote Originally Posted by likebutta View Post
    I dunno but I for one think the bike looks just fine. I'm not sure why all the haterade on it's look but I guess to each his own. Having said that, I am still aiming to buy an EX-500 for next season.
    buy it now while some of the $1-2k deals are still out there. you won't regret it. if you want a bike that's cheap to gas up, cheap to fix, cheap to insure, and ... still runs, and still runs even if you don't gas up (reserve.. joke) and don't fix. this is your bike.

if you want something pretty this is not your bike. 1994-2008==same bike. just pickup anything past 94 and you're good.

that being said any USED starter bike will be cheap.
    but a used 250 for 4k, sell in a year for ..3.7k. buy the 500 for 1k, fix, sell for 2k. or 1k fast.
    Engine size is compensation for tiny odometers. // You either drag knee in -3 or pose in 20.
    2001 ex500 420+ km on a single tank. Mods: Digital Speedomoter / Corbin Seat / Works Performance Shock / braided brake lines / fake pezzo levers / integrated mirror+turn signals / gps power cord + ram mount / heated grips. / Heat troller for winter gear Fairing repair tutorial

buy it now while some of the $1-2k deals are still out there. you won't regret it. if you want a bike that's cheap to gas up, cheap to fix, cheap to insure, and ... still runs, and still runs even if you don't gas up (reserve.. joke) and don't fix. this is your bike.

if you want something pretty this is not your bike. 1994-2008==same bike. just pickup anything past 94 and you're good.

that being said any USED starter bike will be cheap.
    but a used 250 for 4k, sell in a year for ..3.7k. buy the 500 for 1k, fix, sell for 2k. or 1k fast.
    Yea I am really thinking about jumping on it now.. the only thing is that I don't want to start insurance just yet so I would need to find someone to haul it and also get storage (don't have my own; building garage in spring).

Quote Originally Posted by likebutta View Post
    Yea I am really thinking about jumping on it now.. the only thing is that I don't want to start insurance just yet so I would need to find someone to haul it and also get storage (don't have my own; building garage in spring).
    I was in the same situation. I got my EX last november but didn't want to insure yet. I stored it with ken (kneedragger) he runs soar racing. he picks it up and delivers it (included in storage cost), and will do work if any needs to be done while it's there. it was about 260 to store it, but I saved more than that by buying it for 1k instead of waiting till the spring when the seller probably would have gotten 2-3k. people are silly, but I guess if you need money you need money.
    Engine size is compensation for tiny odometers. // You either drag knee in -3 or pose in 20.
    2001 ex500 420+ km on a single tank. Mods: Digital Speedomoter / Corbin Seat / Works Performance Shock / braided brake lines / fake pezzo levers / integrated mirror+turn signals / gps power cord + ram mount / heated grips. / Heat troller for winter gear Fairing repair tutorial

I was in the same situation. I got my EX last november but didn't want to insure yet. I stored it with ken (kneedragger) he runs soar racing. he picks it up and delivers it (included in storage cost), and will do work if any needs to be done while it's there. it was about 260 to store it, but I saved more than that by buying it for 1k instead of waiting till the spring when the seller probably would have gotten 2-3k. people are silly, but I guess if you need money you need money.
    Hmm sounds like an idea. Guess I just need to look through kijiji, etc and find one that's right.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    Can you pls share how exactly would you make carbed Ninja EFIed for 300 bucks? I am very interested, I am sure some other people as well. Sounds too good to be true ....

I just looked one ebay UK and found all the parts. Wiring harness, throttlebodies, and ecu. They were all from the same seller.

Link?

Link?
    You want me to link you to the auction from last year or what? Or if you are unfamiliar with ebay. you can go to ebay.com or ebay.co.uk

I am not sure I can explain the process anymore than that.

Unless the parts you're proposing to buy from Ebay are the direct OEM replacement parts for that very same engine and you are paying *used* (or scrap) prices for it - and remember, the flipside of you get what you pay for is that you don't get what you don't pay for! - there is NO possibility of building a complete from scratch EFI system for ANY engine for 300 bucks.

Just the fuel pump will cost somewhere near that. Just the injectors will cost somewhere near that unless there's only one. Just the throttle bodies will cost that. Just the ECU will cost that. Just the wiring harness will cost that. Haven't even talked about the labour yet. Haven't even talked about the labour for significant dyno tuning to map an engine from scratch yet.

For example, MegaSquirt is a common do-it-yourself EFI controller. Those are US$300 - US$400. And that's just the ECU. No injectors, no throttle body, no wiring harness, no fuel pump.

Yeah, you can buy a whole car for $100, if you jump in and grab it before the crane picks it up and drops it on the junk pile ... you get what you pay for ...

You want me to link you to the auction from last year or what? Or if you are unfamiliar with ebay. you can go to ebay.com or ebay.co.uk

If you cannot post the link (you never said it was last year auction ...) it's useless information. Plus you made it look really easy .... "EFI your Ninja for about 300 bucks" statement would be great news if you could back it up with the whole story.

I am not sure I can explain the process anymore than that.
    You have not explained anything yet. All I know is that you saw an auction a year ago where you could buy parts for around 300 bucks ....
    Last edited by mxs; 11-23-2010 at 08:51 AM.

I've got a CBR 250r in my garage and I have had the opportunity to give it a boot every once in a while. I started out on a 07ninja 250 and the 91cbr 250r was amazing. I highly recommend this than a ninja 250.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Unless the parts you're proposing to buy from Ebay are the direct OEM replacement parts for that very same engine and you are paying *used* (or scrap) prices for it - and remember, the flipside of you get what you pay for is that you don't get what you don't pay for! - there is NO possibility of building a complete from scratch EFI system for ANY engine for 300 bucks.
    The european ninja 250s came fuel injected from kawasaki. The $300 was for throttlebodies, wiring harness and ecu.

If you cannot post the link (you never said it was last year auction ...) it's useless information. Plus you made it look really easy .... "EFI your Ninja for about 300 bucks" statement would be great news if you could back it up with the whole story.
    Those are 2 four letter words. Pretty damn easy to read if you ask me. If you are going to ask a question at least read the answer someone provide.

You have not explained anything yet. All I know is that you saw an auction a year ago where you could buy parts for around 300 bucks ....
    I just looked one ebay UK and found all the parts. Wiring harness, throttlebodies, and ecu. They were all from the same seller.
    And here I stated all the parts I looked for in reference to the price I mentioned.

Next time I won't share my useless information. But anyone who isn't a moron could easily figure out that I had said I saw this last year and what parts I was refering to.

Are you implying you want me to explain to you that you need to push the throttlebodies into the throttlebody holders and then hook up the wiring harness and plug in the ecu? If you have to ask these questions, you probably shouldn't bother with the conversion.
    Last edited by Freestyle72; 11-23-2010 at 01:02 PM.