Found a trackbike, have a few questions - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Found a trackbike, have a few questions

Re: Found a trackbike, have a few questions

Quote Originally Posted by Ben G View Post
    ...........keeping it cheap …….. don’t bring a girl friend of a buddy cause they cost and I’m sure..........
    Also your buddy won't like it!

I offer girlfriend/wife entertainment packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Fawaz View Post
    Also your buddy won't like it!
    Lol, didn't catch that.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    I offer girlfriend/wife entertainment packages.
    Yah but nobody wants to see you in a wig and heels.

Plus - you can always camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Fawaz View Post
    Yah but nobody wants to see you in a wig and heels.
    I hear he wears this to bed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corsair Nicky.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	22832
    "Bro... it's an exotic..."

SOAR Novice #37

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Plus - you can always camp.
    ...... with Donavan, in a wig and heels.............. no chance.......

Quote Originally Posted by dankyyz View Post
    Well lets just walk you out into a field and shoot you!!!

Care to elaborate on your dissention?
    When I first got into this thing a seasoned amature racer warned me that I'd never learn to go fast riding track days. I didn't really pay attention since I had no immediate desire to go racing. I put together a program for myself to teach me how to ride quickly without landing on my head every other weekend. Before I spend money on the bike I spend it on track time (mostly Pro6), instructions, and tires.....maybe a little on the bike.

In 2008 I came out to a RACE regional in July where after all my efforts I saw my Novice race get cancelled, but not before I took a few laps with some racers and realized that my skill set had a few holes in it. I spent some time working on my aggression and passing skills and took the Nelson's race course to get me a few more pointers. I took another crack at a RACE regional last July and came away pretty happy with the results. The only thing I learned is that when it somes to Novice racing, "Red" in the new "Checkered".

So you can learn to go pretty fast at a track day, but you have to want to work at it, where at a race weekend you HAVE to work at it.

Sooner or later some will get too quick for the average track day pace and the only natural progression will be to climb up to race, but the same can be said about Novice class and later the Amature class.

I'm not saying that you can learn everything at a track day, but some take away from it much more than others, and that takes a bit more work.
    Last edited by doubleapex; 11-06-2010 at 10:23 PM.
    Pi, Novice 728

Banned

^^^^ Food for though. good post.

Quote Originally Posted by doubleapex View Post
    So you can learn to go pretty fast at a track day, but you have to want to work at it, where at a race weekend you HAVE to work at it.

Sooner or later some will get too quick for the average track day pace and the only natural progression will be to climb up to race, but the same can be said about Novice class and later the Amature class.
    I'm not saying that you can learn everything at a track day, but some take away from it much more than others, and that takes a bit more work.
    .........In my limited experience I have found as soon as you make your move to racing (give or take a weekend or two......) coming back to track days looking for the same "RUSH", its changed. Most everything about racing is different ......... there is no easy time, its off the warmers and GO. Track days work and they work well, but they are not racing .........I'm just say'n. BG

.........In my limited experience I have found as soon as you make your move to racing (give or take a weekend or two......) coming back to track days looking for the same "RUSH", its changed. Most everything about racing is different ......... there is no easy time, its off the warmers and GO. Track days work and they work well, but they are not racing .........I'm just say'n. BG
    +10

SOAR Novice #37

Re:
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceboy View Post
    Is the SV still a better learning tool?

Re:
    .......... SV's are cheap, low buck, entry level tools ......... vice grips .......... but, compared to what? a full blow National level 600 is the way to go, win the lottery, CBR125 might be the right tool for your 13 year old daughter ........ just get to the track and ride, "better learning tool" ....... I've seen guys ride nothing but liter bikes all there lives and the did fine, my kids first street bike was CBR600RR, he's still OK, ya can hurt yourself falling down the stairs (its rarely the bike, the biggest tool is the tool riding it)......... SV's ARE learning tools, only you can decide if its the right or best learning tool (for you) ..... BG

Banned

Re:
    SV's are raced a lot. There are tonnes of aftermarket trackcentric parts to be bought and traded. Their is a GREAT SV race community and a darn good site where i have bought almost everything for my bike. Lots of used stuff. But there is not a clean comparison unless you can talk about specifically what bike you are referring to.

Get the SV. I dont know anyone who bought one for the track and regretted it.

No real argument here, racing is racing and you won't get the same thrill riding around by yourself. I ran a half marathon this morning, and it's incredibly satisfying to pick off other racers once we get to the hilly sections of the course.

Competition is undoubtedly more rewarding, specially if you're winning, but at the track I have no trouble zoning everyone elso out and just racing against the clock. Going faster in great, no matter where you do it.
    Pi, Novice 728

Quote Originally Posted by doubleapex View Post
    No real argument here, racing is racing and you won't get the same thrill riding around by yourself. I ran a half marathon this morning, and it's incredibly satisfying to pick off other racers once we get to the hilly sections of the course.
    I thought the satisfying part of a half marathon was finishing the race? lol

SOAR Novice #37

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    You'll learn SIGNIFICANTLY more if you go racing.

(meds taken, typo fixed)
    racing = bigger initial expense no?

can I go racing with no experince, and no tire warmers?

do you have to qualify under a certain time to run in the race?

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    racing = bigger initial expense no?

can I go racing with no experince, and no tire warmers?

do you have to qualify under a certain time to run in the race?

That's how everyone used to do it, before trackdays before trackdays were available.

when I started, I signed up for a race school, did my test and went racing, no street riding or trackday experience.

I did my first race on a COMPLETELY stock honda F4, it had a front race bodywork(still the street tail section), and a slip on exhaust.

No steering damper, rearsets, clipons or ANYTHING fancy.

I met Ben G that weekend, the only thing he told me was "SELL THAT PIECE OF JUNK" (I thought my brand new bike was pretty awesome at the time)

Kinda Glad I listened, I bought a bike through him and I've been riding his stuff ever since.

The cost is the same for racing vs. trackdays if you are counting taking your street bodywork off. Oh + the cost of race wiring. Otherwise, you can race a bone stock bike if you so wish, on street tires, with no warmers. You could even be competitive on street tires in Lost Era. I know many guys who can run as fast as me or faster laps on street tires. I had no experience. You will need to have race school experience to get your licence however.
    Dan Dubeau kicks my butt with no tire warmers. He doesn't even have stands-leans his bike on the wall.
    I haven't heard of a 125% rule except in the endurance races. Even still, if there was a rule, you'd only need to run a 1:33ish or so to be under that rule.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    The cost is the same for racing vs. trackdays if you are counting taking your street bodywork off. Oh + the cost of race wiring. Otherwise, you can race a bone stock bike if you so wish, on street tires, with no warmers. You could even be competitive on street tires in Lost Era. I know many guys who can run as fast as me or faster laps on street tires. I had no experience. You will need to have race school experience to get your licence however.
    Dan Dubeau kicks my butt with no tire warmers. He doesn't even have stands-leans his bike on the wall.
    I haven't heard of a 125% rule except in the endurance races. Even still, if there was a rule, you'd only need to run a 1:33ish or so to be under that rule.
    You have to simplify things for me.....

Q1: Race wire = Kit parts? Kit ecu / electronics?
    Q2: 636 woudn't qualify under the lost era would it? how about a 97 srad 600?
    Q3: Race school = I should sign up @ Dec Show? What does that cost?