Found a trackbike, have a few questions - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Found a trackbike, have a few questions

Re: Found a trackbike, have a few questions

To date I have done 2trackdays, and 3 race wknds.
    My best lap on my 1st trackday in my life, on an 08 GSXR750 was a 1:26.
    My best lap at a trackday at TMP is a high 1:23, a week after my 1st race weekend.
    Best lap racing there is a 1:20, on an unsorted, heavy, steel framed 96 YZF 600 with no 2nd gear. In race conditions, I ride that old clunker WAY faster than I rode at a trackday on an 08 GSXR 750 with alot less weight, way more power, and way better handling right outta the box. It's the mindset that racing gives you. The concentration level is higher. You only have 12 laps to make it or break it (pardon the pun, for folks who saw my last weekend,LOL)

I did one trackday a wk before my 1st race, so I could learn some lines. I was intimidated, and riding a bike that I have never ridden (borrowed), and still had the time of my life. I left at the end of that day saying it was the most fun I'd ever had.
    Then I raced. Did another trackday. Then raced and raced again. Trackdays pale in comparison. I am competetive by nature, and work my best under pressure. By no means am I a "fast guy", but I sure am more motivated when something's at stake.
    You get way more tracktime at a trackday than racing, but sometimes I am willing to sacrifice quantity (number of laps) for quality.
    I still intend to do more trackdays cuz I have tons to learn about racing and about bike setup etc.....and trackdays are a good spot to learn this stuff.
    Yes, one race wknd cost me about the same as 3 trackdays, but for me, it's worth it.
    Whichever way you choose, be prepared to be bored on the street.
    Last edited by omnivore; 11-03-2010 at 07:19 PM.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

I think I'll get at least a few trackdays under my belt before I participate in any racing. Especially since I barely know my way around TMP. Can I apply for a SOAR license anytime during the season?

I hear you about the street riding. The last time I went riding with a friend, I was bored almost right away. It would probably be a different story if we had some nice roads, but I digress.

If you intend to race, the SOAR licenece is cheapest at one of the winter bike shows.
    The 1st SOAR season, I was slow getting my bike together. I had my licence at the Dec show, and never raced once the whole season.....but I pitted for an endurance team and it really lit a fire under me. This past season I was so glad I started this whole racing process. Its something I had always wanted to do.

Like I said I only did one trackday at TMP before my 1st race. And it was 10 yrs after I did FAST's race school. Hadn't been on a track anytime in between, and I was intimidated, but that quickly went away. So many helpful people at SOAR were there giving me tips and advice. Even things like rider meetings and tech were something I knew nothing about, but it quickly fell into place.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Go racing. My first race weekend I went from a 1.40 to a 1.25. I'm not going to get into the details of how deep practice works, read the Talent Code, or Talent is Overrated, or some of Malcolm Gladwell's stuff to get the details. But basically you'll focus harder for the shear fact that no one likes getting their butt kicked...
    "Bro... it's an exotic..."

SOAR Novice #37

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboy View Post
    Which reminds me of my other question.
    I'm planning on doing about 20 trackdays next season, would it be cheaper for me to race? I have only been to the track once before, so I'm no expert. How much is admission for a weekend?
    ..........thats a ton of "days" ............ transportation, tires, fuel, food, bike needs ........ and your a student......... my advice, you should take Math as one of your major's. BG

Quote Originally Posted by Ben G View Post
    ..........thats a ton of "days" ............ transportation, tires, fuel, food, bike needs ........ and your a student......... my advice, you should take Math as one of your major's. BG
    I ran these numbers last year and the cost per day exceeded $320/day, including everything from the average track day to a percentage of tires, oil and filter, fuel for the bike and tow vehicle, brake fluid, chain and sprockets, knee sliders, etc...., and that's towing with a 4 cylinder car and after buying oil, filters, and tires in bulk to save money.

Ben's right, don't spend your student loan on bikes if you don't have to. Carefully run all the numbers before you commit to doing so many days. This sport is not for the "weak of wallet" and the cost grows as you get faster; however, if you have tons of money then I can't think of a more enjoyable way to spend it, so go nuts.
    Last edited by doubleapex; 11-04-2010 at 11:17 AM.
    Pi, Novice 728

Run the weekday track days to save some coin Pro6, Racer5, Golo, Riders Choice all offer cheaper prices during the week.

Mix it up as well don't just do all the days at TMP, Bogie and Mosport are well worth the money.

FFS, work computer just deleted a huge reply. HERE GOES AGAIN.

Ben, my minor may be accouting.
    I'm not going to school until next year, so I'm a bit more financially flexible right now. Especially since I don't have to pay 2600 a year for insurance.

I'm planning on getting a credit card exclusively for riding related expenses. That way I can track exactly what I'm spending. I was going to publish the expenses here, for others who are entertaining the idea of going track-only. I would never do something as crazy as put this stuff on a loan. I don't qualify for OSAP, nor have I applied for a student LOC. I've never had an issue with living beyond my means.

My tow vehicle is a 4cyl. Accord, and I plan on trailer pooling often, so fuel costs would either be halved of covered for those trips.
    I was planning on doing weekday trackdays, because the savings do accumulate. Mostly TMP, and then a few trips to the other tracks (Shanny, Mosport). Bogie is so damn far for me, though.

Its not like I'm commited to doing 20 days, like I am to insurance payments. I would not be too disappointed if I got 15 days, for example. If costs get too high, I can always just not go.

I dont spend money on anything else, so this is money well spent for me.

i did close to 15 trackdays this year, spent in the neighborhood $4k on tires, trackday fees, gas (bike + car)/maintenance (oil changes, repairs, parts). I still haven't factored in medical bills yet. This is also excluding the cost of additional items such as warmers/genny/tools/new gear etc.

Only one of those days were at calabogie (the others were at either shannonville or tmp), and most of the days that I went were on pre-registered and/or discounted days. Trust me, wherever I could save money through deals on products or services, i took advantage of it...ask Akabek, i'm a cheapass.

On paper, it always seems like a good idea for those with high insurance to take this route.

Thinking back to my university/high school days, there's no way i could've afforded this hobby unless i was holding down a FT job as well.
    Last edited by TomC; 11-04-2010 at 05:46 PM.
    For sale, 2007 Aprilia SXV 450 Supermoto
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...prilia-sxv-450

I'm a cheapass too, so I hear ya
    I will be able to save a bit on tires/gas by riding a 650 rather than a 600.
    You're right about it sounding good on paper, but I'm not trying to save money by going track-only.

I do curretly have a fulltime job, but obviously that will change once school rolls around.

On the topic of the bike itself, I'm giving this guy a call tonight. I'll let him know to get back to me when he's ready to negotiate the price, because its been for sale for a while, and he keeps saying that he's firm on the price.
    Last edited by spaceboy; 11-04-2010 at 06:20 PM.

the SV isn't that much better on tires than a 600.

there are also less of them, so the used tire market is significantly smaller than it is for a 600.

Is the SV still a better learning tool?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    the SV isn't that much better on tires than a 600.

there are also less of them, so the used tire market is significantly smaller than it is for a 600.
    This is defiantly true. BUT....you can up-size the rear tire (properly, with machined spacers and such) to match virtually all of the popular 600 SS tires. Something to consider for just this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    i did close to 15 trackdays this year, spent in the neighborhood $4k on tires, trackday fees, gas (bike + car)/maintenance (oil changes, repairs, parts). I still haven't factored in medical bills yet. This is also excluding the cost of additional items such as warmers/genny/tools/new gear etc.

Only one of those days were at calabogie (the others were at either shannonville or tmp), and most of the days that I went were on pre-registered and/or discounted days. Trust me, wherever I could save money through deals on products or services, i took advantage of it...ask Akabek, i'm a cheapass.

On paper, it always seems like a good idea for those with high insurance to take this route.

Thinking back to my university/high school days, there's no way i could've afforded this hobby unless i was holding down a FT job as well.
    I crunched the numbers myself, and in my 6 track days I spent $1320. That doesn't include fixed costs like the bike and gear, but it includes fuel, lodging, transportion, and an estimation for tires, brakes and other maintenance expenses resulting from running on the track.

The cheapest track day was $97 at Shannonville with Pro 6 (I am including the $75 Yamabucks gift certificate they gave away) and the most expensive was $430 at 'bogie, also with Pro 6.

I know a lot of people ask about this stuff so there it is. That's an everage of $220 per track day, which puts me not too far off your estimate of $265/day (I think you are faster and far better equipped).
    Last edited by fastar1; 11-04-2010 at 09:51 PM.
    There is no planet B.

Ha.. TomC, I would not say you are a cheap *** if you spent $4K on hobby and the does not include the gear you have accumulated.

If I do a rough calculation I get $300 per day.

track day $125.00 - average cost
    gas $90.00- bike, car, genny
    oil/filter $20.00
    tires $50.00
    food/water $15.00
    Total $300.00

This does not include gear and other expenses.

+1, as a student, buying your bike, and wanting to do 20 track days?? Track day junkies rarely do more than 10 and the diehard do 15 . . . . but you, in your first year, on a limited budget . . . . . will do 20 trackdays . . . . . .

Did you take the blue pill?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhymzx6ovfQ

Did you even read through the thread?

The cruel reality ………. (sorry)- 1 days pay (because not every track day is your “Holiday”): $150 and up, track day itself: $100 and up, your cheap ***** pump gas for bike and car; $75, your lunch, coffee and drinks: $30, your basic wear and tear on the equipment (tires, brakes, oil, filter etc.):$100 average and that’s keeping it cheap …….. don’t bring a girl friend of a buddy cause they cost and I’m sure there is more (because of course you found the bike, warmers, generator, stands, leathers, helmet, gloves, back protector, tackle bag, etc.) leaning against your house one day ……….. So, maybe some of you walk your bike to the track (uphill both ways, in the snow, with bare feet ……. Like my dad use to do) and your bikes make “Zero” HP and never use fuel or tires or brake pads and NEVER ever crash (and when you do it actually helps the bike look better) I can’t see a track day costing $220 ………. Oh, and the “Calabogie or quit group”, the track is on the other side of the planet ……… there is no way anybody from Toronto can do “Bogie” without adding $150 - $200 for travel and a hotel (food……) but again this is just my opinion (and math) which is far from perfect ……. OK, not that far. BG

Oh, and the “Calabogie or quit group”, the track is on the other side of the planet ……… there is no way anybody from Toronto can do “Bogie” without adding $150 - $200 for travel and a hotel (food……) but again this is just my opinion (and math) which is far from perfect ……. OK, not that far. BG

Bah bunch of panises if you need a Hotel, Dave Noble drives there and back and he's riding the whole day just using his upper body.

Ok, I'm being optimistic with the number of times I can make it out, I can accept that.