Found a trackbike, have a few questions - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Found a trackbike, have a few questions

Re: Found a trackbike, have a few questions

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    That's how everyone used to do it, before trackdays before trackdays were available.

when I started, I signed up for a race school, did my test and went racing, no street riding or trackday experience.

I did my first race on a COMPLETELY stock honda F4, it had a front race bodywork(still the street tail section), and a slip on exhaust.

No steering damper, rearsets, clipons or ANYTHING fancy.

I met Ben G that weekend, the only thing he told me was "SELL THAT PIECE OF JUNK" (I thought my brand new bike was pretty awesome at the time)

Kinda Glad I listened, I bought a bike through him and I've been riding his stuff ever since.
    maybe I should be doing this. Seems cheaper....so far anyways.

it just seems like everyone has warmers and a ton of track day experience before they go racing....

----
    Last edited by frekeyguy; 11-07-2010 at 08:49 PM.

Soar School Fee: $169.50
    SOAR License Fee $113

What do they teach you at the school?

This seems like a pretty good schedule....one weekend per month, I can do that / afford that. And catch up if I break stuff/blow up stuff.

PRACTICE DAY
    April 24 - Includes Marshal School
    ROUND ONE
    May 7-9 Sprint Races
    ROUND TWO
    June 11-13 - Reverse Direction Sprint w/Endurance
    ROUND THREE
    July 9-11 - Sprint w/Endurance
    ROUND FOUR
    August 6-8 - Reverse Direction Sprint
    ROUND FIVE
    September 10-12 - Sprint w/Endurance
    ROUND SIX
    October 15-17 - Sprint w/Endurance

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post

it just seems like everyone has warmers and a ton of track day experience before they go racing....
    I did one trackday before racing dude. Cuz I had never seen TMP except from pit wall, I wanted to get some familiarity with it. And I hadn't been on a track in 10 yrs since FAST. One trackday, a week before my 1st race in August. I'd probably be a hell of a lot faster if I had been trackdaying there for the past few yrs like some others, but you gotta start somewhere right?
    I did another trackday a couple weeks after my 1st race, and it was suddenly obvious how much more fun racing is, than just trackdaying.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    I did one trackday before racing dude. Cuz I had never seen TMP except from pit wall, I wanted to get some familiarity with it. And I hadn't been on a track in 10 yrs since FAST. One trackday, a week before my 1st race in August. I'd probably be a hell of a lot faster if I had been trackdaying there for the past few yrs like some others, but you gotta start somewhere right?
    I did another trackday a couple weeks after my 1st race, and it was suddenly obvious how much more fun racing is, than just trackdaying.
    Racing is always fun, street riding/racing in the twisties is way too much fun for me now, the track seems the answer if I am going get hurt atlest the medics will be on scene right away.

You are right everyone has to start somewhere.

I guess I'll have to decide in the next few days.....time to sell my junk!

For what it's worth, i did about.. 10 (maybe?) trackdays before i went racing.

For reference, after those 10 or so trackdays I was running 1:17s at TMP and 1:13's on the Pro Track at Shannonville. After basically 1 complete season of racing (8 race weekends) I'm running in the 1:14's at TMP and 1:08's on Pro Track.

I learned more in my frist race weekend than i did in the ten trackdays prior to it. That being said, i think doing a few trackdays before racing isn't a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post

i..
    This is the wrong way to look at racing.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    This is the wrong way to look at racing.
    Even one small crash can turn your financial ssavings model completely upside down. And the faster you go (you will go faster or quit-1 of the two), the more $ you will need for tires , suspension, training and adjustment tuning etc.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

...... Buy a bike ......... IF, its the wrong bike after a few track days, sell it........ WOW, sell it, that easy huh........ you can't get your answers here, just more confusing nonsence from clowns like me ...... its 2010 (almost 2011...... ) there is know "right way" there's just opinions on the subject and of course a bunch of silly questions ...... you know what you can aford, the information on what it will cost is out there ........ these post are are great, get to piss around for 4-5 pages making fun of people ....... the truth is, nobody here knows whats right for you but you ........ Go have some fun, buy a bike and ride/race it ........ that is the one common we all have (regaurdless), we love these stupid, time consumming, over priced, piles of .......... BG

What Ben said.......Damn did I just say that

i think pro6 offers discounts for days purchased in bulk.

last year i did 3 pro6 days and 4 golo days. i think i paid about 1k plus expenses. hoping that i'll get that many next year but i think my cousin's wedding will cut into that.

you can cut on expenses by sleeping in a tent, cooking your own food.
    Last edited by CruisnGrrl; 11-08-2010 at 09:45 AM.
    x

Quote Originally Posted by Ben G View Post
    ...... Buy a bike ......... IF, its the wrong bike after a few track days, sell it........ WOW, sell it, that easy huh........ you can't get your answers here, just more confusing nonsence from clowns like me ...... its 2010 (almost 2011...... ) there is no "right way" there's just opinions on the subject and of course a bunch of silly questions ...... you know what you can aford, the information on what it will cost is out there ........ these post are are great, get to piss around for 4-5 pages making fun of people ....... the truth is, nobody here knows whats right for you but you ........ Go have some fun, buy a bike and ride/race it ........ that is the one common we all have (regaurdless), we love these stupid, time consumming, over priced, piles of .......... BG
    Bravo!
    There is no planet B.

Update on the bike.
    The seller said he would take 2k for it if I drove all the way to his place, which is fine. The tires don't have too much life left on them, and the engine has not been rebuilt recently. With that in mind, I'm thinking of offering 1900 for it.

Should I have a leakdown test done at a shop near him? As well as have them look it over?