Question for the more experienced about tomorrow's weather

Thread: Question for the more experienced about tomorrow's weather

Question for the more experienced about tomorrow's weather

So the weather network is pegging tonight to have an overnight low of -3 C, continuing into the morning when I usually ride into work.

I have cold weather & heated gear, but my bigger concern is traction. I realize that the roads "should" be dry, since we didn't really have rain, so there shouldn't be any water on the road to turn into ice.

Is my line of thinking correct? Safe enough to ride, or should I be caging it?

Re: Question for the more experienced about tomorrow's weather

I plan to ride in tomorrow - just take it easy on the throttle and make riding inputs smooth. It's not a bad idea to lower the tire pressures a notch for a bit more traction and contact area.
    Track is my Crack - but I'm not fast - yet.
    '08 Ninja ZX-6R

Originally Posted by Bandit Bill
    Oh Sweet Jesus ... my eyes, someone stab me in the eyes to take that image away!!!!

As long as the roads are dry you will be fine, I ride all year round. Just don't be carving any corners or dragging you knee around, also give yourself abit more space.
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

I just came home from Hamilton to Burlington via skyway. Its 2 degrees out. No problem on road conditions. I ride my bike as if its an SUV. No crazy turns of curves. Its pretty cold though but Id do it again.

It'll be like riding on old, hard tires. Perfectly doable, you'll have plenty of grip to get around but not enough to have any fun.
    There is no planet B.

few yrs ago i had car probs in nov and had to take the bike to werk . you will be fine as bike tire's are quality ! after my ride home on the highway the tire's were warm to the touch , even in sub zero temps ! btw , if doing any hwy take away about 5degrees from what the air temp is to get your riding temp . minus 10 riding temp was the limit for me .

A few years ago I had a minor spill when the temp was -1. It was a warm January day and I rode to my friends place while it was +11. At night when I left it dropped to -1. The first curve I encountered I ended up having a spill. There was only minor damage to the bike and no damage to me, but I decided not to ride anymore when the temp is below 0
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

be careful on bridges
    x

How much lower would you lower the tire pressure for older (sub 4C) weather? I usually keep my front 29 and rear 33 (stock tires and it's what's recommended).
    Current:
    2001 EX500

Previous:
    2007 CBR125R (1 season)

Expect the unexpected. If it's sub zero but dry you may find an ice patch where someone dumped water and of course there are the leaves. Night comes earlier so seeing the hazards becomes another issue.

don't ride if its below 0
    if there's ice you will dump your bike

I know tire temp affects handling, but how much does cold pavement affect handling?

Quote Originally Posted by LeetViet View Post
    How much lower would you lower the tire pressure for older (sub 4C) weather? I usually keep my front 29 and rear 33 (stock tires and it's what's recommended).
    Are you just putting around town, mix of city and highway, or jumping on the highway for an extended period of time?

Then, consider that each bike is different an depends on the tire and tread pattern. Then there is the weight of the rider too. For a CBR125, I'd drop 3 to 5 psi and monitor closely. Sit on the bike and have someone see how much the tire gives. Then test ride slowly to see how it affects the handling.

Some SS bikes have stiff side walls and dropping the pressure doesn't do too much other than provide excessive wear (like cupping) and hurt handling. It does help warm the tires a bit quicker but, doesn't offer the same benefits of say, a dirt bike or truck running in off road conditions etc.

Best to just be extra careful and keep adjustments (throttle,brakes,steering) slow, deliberate and smooth. A bike doesn't need to lean over as much as shifting your position for turns.

Lastly, how much do you value your bike. A low speed fall won't do much other than hurt your pride a bit and scuff the fairings. Riding is dangerous enough under ideal conditions but, adding tricky road conditions brings it to another level. I haven't parked the Harley yet but, it's getting close.

If I had a KLR or Ural with a sidecar, I'd run a bike for as long as I could physically handle the conditions.

Just one internet poser's opinion. To each their own.

Environment Canada states the dew point for Toronto is -3.9C. This is the temperature where the air cannot hold all its water vapour and will drop to the ground, and Toronto would therefore have dew. Since the temperature only hit -1C last night, on average, there should be no black ice on Toronto's roads.

If the temperature would have hit -5C yesterday, below the dew point, the air would have dropped and froze to the ground, forming black ice. Or so the theory goes.

That is a pretty articulate fact. It makes sense. You should be a weather man. -4 degrees eh, ill keep it in mind not to ride that temp. Cheers.

the dew-pt varies a bit constantly , that's a hard one to monitor . black ice is most prevelent in the morning during a rising sun , that tend's to be the coldest time of the day at which condition's can be met . i wouldn't be too afraid if the roads are clear and there wasn't any puddle's a day or two before on the roads . also keep in mind , the engine is harder to start getting closer to -10 and the battery will become drained faster in that cold if you keep trying to start it , make sure you don't leave yourself stranded anywhere .