17 tires that work on gravel and dirt roads for 690 smc

Thread: 17 tires that work on gravel and dirt roads for 690 smc

17 tires that work on gravel and dirt roads for 690 smc

Can anyone recommend tires that will work decent on gravel , hard dirt, that are a soft coupound that woulds also work good on cold wet pavement.

I know i'm askin a lot ,but this type of bike is new to me. (hell so new I dont get the bike till next week)

Thanks
    H

Re: 17 tires that work on gravel and dirt roads for 690 smc

Nice bike - most dual sport tires will do:
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...res-Tires.aspx

Click on the tire and there are lots of reviews to read from ppl that've used them
    RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM

http://www.aviciouscycle.ca/pirellicorsa.html this

or
    I think rain tires from like a sv650 or something would be good, might wear out quick though.

I like the look of the pirelli 's .I think rain tires would be the best for a few days ,but i'm pretty sure they would melt in the dry in the summer. My brothere uses rain tires when he has to do stunts for the movies in bad conditions .

im with megomaniac

i had rain maxxis rains on my street motard a few years ago, they went everywhere, got stuck in mud once but it was peg deep and i cant really blame the tires for it. Once the road gets hot they will get torn to shreds tho, so for a fall - spring tire yer good.

I have used Metzeler Tourance and have liked them. I'm currently running Bridgestone Battle Wings and find them good on cold wet pavement. While they do hard packed dirt alright, gravel they are a bit skitterish. I will be trying the Shinko 705's next year I think.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

The Pirelli's will work well, But also look at the Avon Distanzia's in supermoto compound. They seem to get rave reviews. You can get them here:

http://www.dualsportplus.com/tires.html
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

Good advice from many here but remember to look for a manufacturer that has your size/rated tire available in their line - some mentioned don't !! Sure "alternates" are available, they also change the way the bike handles - be careful.
    Didn't say much about the use of the bike, by the looks its going to be quite a bit off raod. I would suggest the Pirelli Corsa MT60R- they fit and will do the job you request from your post. Remember one tire will not do it all, define the riding style/type and pick from that list - not what you might do, besides your new bike comes with new tires-wear them out first.
    Have a look at the Shinko's in the spring, they are coming out with a newer application radial (again which you need) in the 705 series. Had a guy with a big BMW using the current 705's-loves them and he travels and hits single track with the beast.
    Cool bike, have fun and buy Canadian !!

I will most likely will spend most of the time on pavement, hence the smc and not the enduro. But since i have the cbr1100xx for going places, I want the smc to be ablee to run those roads up on the escarpment that are gravel, and i want to to be able to run 60 mph down the back lane like i used to 2o years ago with my xr500. I agree wearing out the tires that come on it first is the best idea . Since it is late in the season that is the cheapest and easiest .

The bike is an early present to myself for loosing 100lbs , though I am only down 86 so far .. I will be down 100 by about christmas.

Dunlop D607's?
    o~`o
    VSRI #1930
    The most common problem with motorcycles is the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Z1K View Post
    The Pirelli's will work well, But also look at the Avon Distanzia's in supermoto compound. They seem to get rave reviews. You can get them here:

http://www.dualsportplus.com/tires.html
    +1 the Avon's are pretty much the go to street tire on the supermoto forums if you are going to get your bike dirty.

Are all Distanzia s, supermoto compound? or just certain sizes , or do I have to order somthing special ?

Quote Originally Posted by HERBXX View Post
    Are all Distanzia s, supermoto compound? or just certain sizes , or do I have to order somthing special ?
    No, you can get a dual sport or supermoto compund. The tire sizes below are offered in SM compound. 120 and 160 can only be had in SM which I think are the correct sizes for your bike.
    SM Compound size
    120/70 17
    150/60 17
    160/60 17