Aprilia RS250 - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aprilia RS250

Re: Aprilia RS250

have you thought about getting YZ250, supermoto it, stick in it WR transmission?
    pretty the same 2 stroke rush with a fraction of the cost

Check the WERA forum often enough and one will likely pop up for sale. Probably in the U.S. and used for racing though. Might get lucky and find one in street trim.

http://forums.13x.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12
    My rides:
    '93 Honda VFR400R (street)
    '92 Honda VFR400R (track)

my 88 RZ350 has over 70,xxxkm on the odometer, it was not hard at all to maitain at all, I myself put over 50,000km on it! did a topend job on it

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    short story...they're a hassle to maintain, long story...i don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by 250R-ICE View Post
    Im just curious as to how a 250 2 stroke such as the RS 250 can produce almost twice the power of an equal size 250 4 stroke such as the Ninja 250r. e.
    It has double the power strokes, almost double the power. Simple no?

Great exppanation. Thanks...

Just out of interst. When I was at Kahuna about 6 months ago. They were selling an Aprilla RS 125 with a street legal kit. I am assuming this is also a 2 stroke. I'm wondering what they did to make it street legal (emissions, safety, etc). If they can make the 125 legal for sale , I'm wondering why they cant do the same for the 250 version.

This is from Aprillia's web site about it meeting the Euro 2 standard.
    ENGINE
    The powerful but reliable, single cylinder, two stroke, Rotax-Aprilia engine needs no introduction. Over the years it has won a reputation for being unbeatable on the track and dependable on the road.
    Still today, this engine boasts technical solutions that are state-of-the-art for two strokes, including a crankcase reed valve intake, liquid cooling, an anti-vibration balancer shaft, and an automatic mixing system. The RS 125’s engine has been constantly updated over the years to keep in line with the latest emission control legislation without penalising performance. A catalytic converter and precision carburation has won Aprilia’s single cylinder two stroke homologation to Euro 3 standards. And the amazing thing is that this has been achieved without losing out on performance: the Aprilia RS 125 engine remains the reference point for all 125 cc powerplants.
    Don't know about Canada, from what I heard in US, Aprilia imported the second gen RS125 before they get approved by the government for road use. However they don't get approved and they end up selling them as club race bike, but offer street kit so owner can register them for road use themself. I knew some owner in strict emission state fail to get it approved so they never able to get it plated. Used one with proper title here could cost more than a new one. That said, price for RS125/250 is very subjective.

not so
    pure 2-stroke spirit

Im just curious as to how a 250 2 stroke such as the RS 250 can produce almost twice the power of an equal size 250 4 stroke such as the Ninja 250r. If the RS 250 had been street legal for sale in Canada, I definately would of considered getting this. It amazes me that the RS250 has all the benifits of my 250r (light weight, great handeling...RS 250 probably better, cheap on insurance..etc) and yet has the power to weight ratio of 600 cc SS.... Why can't a manufacturer design a 2 stroke so that it meets todays emissions standards and yet still produce the power they currently achieve.

Lots of 2 stroke scooters around.
    I don't think it has anything to do with emmission standards, more the demand and price. people have it in their heads that more cc means it's a better bike. if you've got a 250 and a 600 that are the same price, they'll go with the 600 99.9% of the time.

Emission standards are set by upper limits on the amount of CO, HC, etc which are fixed amounts per distance travelled (actually, a fixed amount over a defined driving cycle). It's easier to make a little engine meet emission standards like that, than it is to make a big engine meet the same standard, because it is using less fuel to begin with, so the fact that it is throwing out a greater percentage of that fuel doesn't matter quite so much. Also, the Aprilia RS125 has a catalytic converter, and in stock form, those engines are jetted extremely lean.

The two-stroke RS125 claimed that it met Euro 2 emission standards at the time it was built, however the standards in Europe have now changed and require Euro 3 with Euro 4 soon coming (cars are at Euro 5 now). Each level of that standard is quite a bit more stringent than the previous one.

If you look at that diagram of how a 2-stroke engine works, note that there is a phase with the piston ports open, in which exhaust goes out and air/fuel mixture comes in. There is nothing stopping a portion of the raw air/fuel mixture from partly mixing with the exhaust and short-circuiting out the exhaust (high hydrocarbon emissions). Another problem is that when the engine is running very lightly loaded or at idle, very little air and fuel come in, which leaves a lot of exhaust in the cylinder, which leads to misfiring. This is why carbureted two-strokes always have a rough, irregular idle. Obviously, this heavy misfiring is also very bad for HC emissions.

A two-stroke has the advantage of twice as many firing strokes as a four-stroke of the same displacement, so it can make more power. It may make somewhere near twice as much power ... but it'll use three times as much fuel doing it.

You CAN solve a lot of the two-stroke emission headaches and high fuel consumption by using direct fuel injection straight into the cylinder, but this is expensive and hard to get to work right (Bimota went broke trying) and there are still issues with HC emissions due to lubricating oil going straight out the exhaust ports. That's a problem directly on its own, but lube oil and catalytic converters don't get along very well, and modern emission standards are stringent enough that there's no way to pass them without using a catalytic converter. (note: North American motorcycle emission standards are not "modern". I don't think it's possible to meet Euro 4 without a catalytic converter. There are some fleet averaging provisions in some of these standards so it might still be possible to have the occasional non-catalyst moped or scooter with emissions worse than the fleet average, which is offset by the more expensive models being 4-stroke closed-loop EFI with 3-way catalyst with emissions much better than the fleet average standard ... It is not a simple business ...)

By the way, the Aprilia RS250 has never been sold as street legal in North America. Only way to have one legally on the road here is if it's more than 15 years old.

If you want one for the track - http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/2041016366.html

If you want one for the road - http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=220692699571

Road legal one didn't sell last time, no bids. If you want it just put in a bid and you'll probably win it. It's old enough to register for the street and has all the lights.
    My rides:

ttt
    Last edited by Vacant; 03-15-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho_Biker View Post
    this is like the one I saw on the street! Now that I think of it, I didn't really see a plate or lights either!

Quote Originally Posted by Vacant View Post
    I have a 1989 Kawasaki KR-1 for sale, street legal with an Ontario ownership. 250cc 2 Stroke twin, same class of bike as a TZR, RGV or NSR:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ239703683
    If that was a KR-1S I'd be all over that. Nice bike though, good luck with the sale.
    My rides:

Bombardier/Rotax solved the Direct injection problem with their snowmobile/boat engines with the E-TEC platform

125+hp from a very lightly stressed 600CC 2 stroke powerplant, and the oil consumption is non-existent(1 tank of premix injector oil per season) the fuel mileage is unbelievable as well.

slight reduction in size(say 400cc) and a gearbox would be an brilliant powerplant.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    slight reduction in size(say 400cc) and a gearbox would be an brilliant powerplant.

Trinity Racing's 610cc Banshee based Cheetah motor in a FZR 400 chassis.

They have the mounts. It will bolt right in.
    Last edited by FullMotoJacket; 11-10-2010 at 10:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    So it's ok for hooligan riders and drivers to endanger the lives of impaired drivers?
    Unfortunately, since we seldom put people in jail for traffic offences

Quote Originally Posted by fullmotojacket View Post
    trinity racing's 610cc banshee based cheetah motor in a fzr 400 chassis.:d

they have the mounts. It will bolt right in.
    detaiiiils want more details!

http://www.trinityracing.com/prod_cheetah.html

They have Stage IV 610's putting out 150+HP.
    So it's ok for hooligan riders and drivers to endanger the lives of impaired drivers?
    Unfortunately, since we seldom put people in jail for traffic offences

Quote Originally Posted by FullMotoJacket View Post
    They have the mounts. It will bolt right in.
    don't think so. I have heard it is quite difficult to fit an RZ engine to an FZR400 frame...

would love to be proven wrong though... link to said mounts?

now if you mean that kit "bolts right on on an RZ engine" then maybe... but not the ~500cc and larger kits. they need the crank cases machined... those cylinders are ring eaters too, designed for drag banshees, not road bikes. Exhaust pressure activated powervalves on the street? LOL wear some padding...

Fitting a BIG bore engine into an RZ sounds good, but when you add in the costs of a larger rad, larger carbs, custom expansion chambers, and chassis upgrades (so the bike does not tear itself apart) you are looking at mega $$$. An Athena 392 banshee kit, stroked to 421 (with a +4mm crank) and porting to match, would be the ticket... you can get decent off-the-shelf RZ race pipes that would work with that setup.

or try this site on for size - http://www.twostrokeshop.com/Aprilia_RS500_2008.htm
    Last edited by nokturnal; 11-10-2010 at 12:53 PM.

Last edited by nokturnal; 11-10-2010 at 01:14 PM.

You guys talking about hot rod banshee motors in a FZR must want to seriously hurt yourselves lol. If someone sticks that 610cc motor in a street bike, let me know I need to watch this thing go. This coming from a guy who would like to have a CR500 in supermoto trim just to scare myself once in a while.

speaking of the VPVS Cheetah, its been fitted on a TZR chassis as well:

3XV build

btw, there is a cheetah RS250 recently for sale!

one recently for sale on ebay

not so
    pure 2-stroke spirit